season predictions?

Some of the best waterfowl hunting in the nation. Learn and share your experiences duck hunting in the Republic of Texas. From the Canada geese of the Panhandle to the Snows of Houston and estuaries for ducks on the coast and the livestock impoundments to the west.

Moderators: HENDU3270, DoubleBayou, whistlin_wings

season predictions?

Postby ff154 » Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:42 am

What is everyone's thoughts on the upcoming season? Is the weather going to cooperate? What about the water? I'm no scientist, but I hope the conditions are a little better this year than they have been the past few years. I'm optimistic (but I always get that way as the season gets closer!)
ff154
hunter

Postby Jager » Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:51 am

not being a pesimist but I think it's going to get a lot worse before it gets better. too many hunters and more every year with moderate seasons. we need a couple of really bad seasons to discourage some to give the rest of us more room to hunt. Also I think this year will not be as good as last since we had way more rains last year but this year it's been pretty dry.

I could be wrong though
Jager
hunter

Postby RedTx » Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:03 pm

I hoping for a better season, not that the last one was bad. There was alot of water for the ducks to go anywhere they wanted. I like it when there is not so much water and you can kind of predict where they are going to be.
Do you believe in the MEAN GREEN
RedTx
State Moderator

Postby Jager » Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:57 pm

that's a good point too
Jager
hunter

Postby cooter » Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:15 am

It really doesn't matter to me how wet it is, but like Tex said, I would rather have it a little dry. But what is killing us, and has been killing us for years now. It's the weather up North. They are having banner years. Weather is moderate, and birds don't migrate. Most of the migration is triggered by food and water. If the breeding grounds and mid states don't get any of the good cold stuff, we will be in trouble again. I talked with a couple of buddies that live in the Dakota's, and was told that they still had Mallards flying around in groups of 500 in Late January, almost 4-6 weeks fafter their seasons was over. They said with normal weather, they are stuggling to find birds in early December.

We need pot holes to freeze up so they can ice skate on them. The fields to have snow about a foot deep. This needs to happen all the way THROUGH Kansas, and northern Okla & Ark would help. Then you would see some GOOD hunting. But with the older muture birds, the migration is about food & water, and they are NOT coming any farther than they haft to, to eat and drink.

So I would like to see it froze over with about a foot of snow down to the Red River. Then in Texas, stay about 40 degrees, with nice sun shiney days. :yes: :thumbsup: Ain't ask'n for much, Huh. cooter :salude:
member of: Team GREEN
cooter
hunter

Postby ff154 » Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:10 pm

I'm still out there regardless of the conditions, but I agree that the two biggest factors affecting our seasons here are the weather up north and the pressure. I don't guess there is anything I can do about either one, so I just hope for the best! Only time will tell.
ff154
hunter

Postby Quackcephus » Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:58 am

cooter wrote:I would like to see it froze over with about a foot of snow down to the Red River. Then in Texas, stay about 40 degrees, with nice sun shiney days. :yes: :thumbsup: Ain't ask'n for much, Huh. cooter :salude:

I hear ya... I would like to see about 5/8 of Oklahoma FROZE UP :yes:
Quackcephus
hunter

Postby Duck Attack » Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:21 am

I've bene doing some looking and iot looks like this years hatch is about 1 milllion less that last year. Mallard populations are supposed to be down but Pintails are up.
Duck, Duck, Goose
Duck Attack
hunter

Return to Texas Duck Hunting