Gadwall Decoys

Some of the best waterfowl hunting in the nation. Learn and share your experiences duck hunting in the Republic of Texas. From the Canada geese of the Panhandle to the Snows of Houston and estuaries for ducks on the coast and the livestock impoundments to the west.

Moderators: HENDU3270, whistlin_wings, DoubleBayou

Gadwall Decoys

Postby ThereHeIs » Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:58 am

Do any of you all ahve any (6-12) gadwall dekes you want to let go of? Willing to buy or trade for mallards. I live in the metromess, just trying to save some shipping by posting in TX.
Thanks Chris
ThereHeIs
Newb

Postby Jager » Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:18 am

you don't really need "Gadwal" decoys. I may be wrong but Gadwals don't care since they decoy pretty easy and you can use a bunch of Hen Mallards as "Gadwal Decoys" since they (decoys) look very similar,
save your money, all you need is Mallards and pintails and a bunch of Teal decoys and you're set. :thumbsup:
Jager
hunter

Postby ThereHeIs » Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:22 am

Thanks for the input, here's my reasoning. I hunt all public. I have plenty of mallard and teal dekes, but want to mix up my spread. I see mostly gadwall. I have never seen any pintails.

Here's the question: Besides greenies and teal what would be the next choose of a supporting cast in your spread?...........Divers?
ThereHeIs
Newb

Postby Jager » Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:37 am

Pintails.
I know you don't see them where you hunt but pintails are weary birds and if other species see that Pintils are resting that area they will be more willing to land there as well. you don't need to get a whole dozen just 4-6 will help.
you may also want to get a crane as well and put it about 45 yards fromyour spread on the bank.
Jager
hunter

Postby texasduckblaster » Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:32 pm

i also say pintails cause they add more color to your spread.
texasduckblaster
hunter

Postby texan68 » Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:52 pm

Jager wrote:you don't really need "Gadwal" decoys. I may be wrong but Gadwals don't care since they decoy pretty easy and you can use a bunch of Hen Mallards as "Gadwal Decoys" since they (decoys) look very similar,

:withstupid:
texan68
hunter

Postby Jager » Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:11 pm

texan68 wrote:
Jager wrote:you don't really need "Gadwal" decoys. I may be wrong but Gadwals don't care since they decoy pretty easy and you can use a bunch of Hen Mallards as "Gadwal Decoys" since they (decoys) look very similar,

:withstupid:

???!! Okay!!! how did I get to be called stupid? :umm:
Jager
hunter

Postby Quackcephus » Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:41 pm

Jager wrote:Pintails.
I know you don't see them where you hunt but pintails are weary birds and if other species see that Pintils are resting that area they will be more willing to land there as well. you don't need to get a whole dozen just 4-6 will help.
you may also want to get a crane as well and put it about 45 yards fromyour spread on the bank.

:thumbsup:
Quackcephus
hunter

Return to Texas Duck Hunting