Hunting spots

Some of the best waterfowl hunting in the nation. Learn and share your experiences duck hunting in the Republic of Texas. From the Canada geese of the Panhandle to the Snows of Houston and estuaries for ducks on the coast and the livestock impoundments to the west.

Moderators: HENDU3270, DoubleBayou, whistlin_wings

Hunting spots

Postby H2Ofowler2 » Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:27 pm

I lived in Montana for five years and finding a spot to hunt ducks in TX is a challenge in itself. I have hundreds of decoys, waders, calls etc but no clue where to hunt. This will be my first year really hunting in TX. I plan on buying the public hunting maps and realize I have to do my homework. However, I live in North TX in Grand Prairie and wouldn't mind some help.
H2Ofowler2
Newb

Postby eddo » Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:53 pm

There are many varieties to choose from. Public areas are very productive at times. The key is scouting,and research. I hunt lake, river, and coastal public areas, but my access is still very limited at times I've hunted livingston and dam B, anauac in my teens, trinity river system as well as the neches and angelina. Galveston, christmas, aransas, and san bernard NWF. Today I scouted Lake Livingston for birds.=nada Luck
love to watch'em fold
eddo
hunter

public lakes

Postby txduckn » Wed Aug 17, 2005 7:52 am

I'm in Arlington and just started 4 yrs ago. You're right finding a place is very difficult but the big lakes (public land) has been pretty good the last few yrs.
txduckn
hunter

Postby bmall » Wed Aug 17, 2005 1:38 pm

Just joined the forum and wanted to weigh in on North Texas hunting spots. I live in Dallas, and have had good luck hunting public access lakes the past few years, specifically Cedar Creek, Tawakoni, and Richland Chambers. All within an hour, hour and a half drive. Late in the season last year, the Cans were thick on Cedar Creek as were Pintails. With a few mallards scattered here and there. Because of the limits on Cans and Pins, most of the shooting was done early. Of course, opening morning is usually crowded at these lakes, and it serves you best to get there early. But later in the season (even the weekend after opening), its pretty wide open.

Good luck this season.
bmall
Newb

Return to Texas Duck Hunting