Dove in East Texas??

Some of the best waterfowl hunting in the nation. Learn and share your experiences duck hunting in the Republic of Texas. From the Canada geese of the Panhandle to the Snows of Houston and estuaries for ducks on the coast and the livestock impoundments to the west.

Moderators: HENDU3270, whistlin_wings, DoubleBayou

Dove in East Texas??

Postby hunting2much » Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:39 pm

This is a long shot, but does anyone know of any open land to hunt dove near Angelina County or East Texas?
hunting2much
hunter

Postby bw44 » Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:34 pm

Best of luck to ya brutha.....I lived outside of Nacogdoches while going to school and we had a few nice locals with land that would let us hunt their places, but it was never great hunting (5-6 birds per person average, if we were lucky). Probably won't find much for grain around there, so look for water, gravel, goat weed, and hercules club (trees that should be seeding out now)....in that order......and knock on some doors. Most people in E. Texas could care less if you kill a dove or two.

Also, we used to kill a few out at the Alazan Bayou WMA. I believe we ended up killing more pigs than dove though.... :mrgreen:
"Screw you we're from Texas.....we're from Texas, screw you." Ray Wylie Hubbard
bw44
hunter

Postby hunting2much » Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:04 pm

bw44 thanks for the reply...

That is kind of what I was thinking, but shooting only a few birds beats the heck out of setting on the couch soaking up the AC or working. :)

Off the topic a bit, but I noticed in another post you mentioned you “cutting your teeth” on duck hunting in this area. How would you recommend getting ready to hunt big Sam (for duck of course)? Scouting by boat? I am new to the duck-hunting world and Rayburn is a big sucker to try and figure things out on.
hunting2much
hunter

Postby bw44 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:23 am

Yes....scouting by boat is an almost must. I used to hunt the Northern end of Rayburn....out of Marion's ferry (sp?). As with any lake, the water level will play a key role in your success. If the lake has been low all summer and comes up now or right before season......it shouldn't take much. East of M. Ferry and North of M. Ferry should show signs of ducks.....

Keep in mind that this area does not hold ducks like it used to. Granted, you will get good waves of ducks at times, but you will get frustrated. Be patient and you'll learn alot. I usually killed good #'s of teal and divers, with 1-2 mallards mixed in occasionally.

Get you a good topo-map of the lake and all of it's creeks/channels....as you can step off in a channel off a flat and get wet in a hurry!! Find you an area and learn it well. Once you've got that area down, try another area.

If you go WAY up the lake to where the river runs in......you'll probably want a GPS. When the water is up you can really get lost up there......really quick.

Watch out for all the damn canvasbacks.....they're offlimits until Dec.

Other than that, scout, scout, and scout. Get out there early and be mindful of other hunters. Don't set up too close to other hunters. Don't skybust. Just use your head and HAVE FUN!!!!
bw44
hunter

Postby hunting2much » Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:36 am

Thanks for the info, I like to fish Marion’s and beings my boat is located about 10 minutes from the boat ramp helps. I am thinking of getting an extra transducer and power so I can take my GPS from my bass boat over to the flat bottom.

Do you think it is likely I could get on some Teal during early Teal season?

Thanks again for the info….
hunting2much
hunter

Postby bw44 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:50 am

I haven't hunted down there in years, but it can be hit or miss. If the birds are down, and you can locate several good groups......you stand a pretty good chance. I always went out several times to locate birds in the afternoons, then would go back a couple mornings before opener to find out exactly where they wanted to be. Take some good binoculars with you and stay back away from them if possible.......and be in their spot come opening morning.

When I mentioned early, I mean EARLY......if you get to the ramp at 5:00 there will 20 boats ahead of you. Maybe not at M. Ferry, but at the Kingtown ramp too. I always tried to get to the ramp at 4:00 for down there.......now N. Texas, you gotta get up even earlier. I'll send you a pm also......let me know how it all works out.
bw44
hunter

Postby hunting2much » Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:35 am

PM returned.. Thanks again for all your help.. I think I am headed down the correct path now...
hunting2much
hunter

Postby BFOX » Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:39 pm

hey H2M
Ilive about an hour east of you and we manage to kill a few dove the key this year seems to be water, we have some goat weed too and that helps

good luck
BFOX
hunter

Postby hunting2much » Thu Sep 08, 2005 6:38 am

BFOX

Thanks for the update, we slipped out to a buddy of mines land and had a good hunt. We were off a paster in front of a tank.

Thanks again for the update..
hunting2much
hunter

Return to Texas Duck Hunting