Coastal - Boat Question

Some of the best waterfowl hunting in the nation. Learn and share your experiences duck hunting in the Republic of Texas. From the Canada geese of the Panhandle to the Snows of Houston and estuaries for ducks on the coast and the livestock impoundments to the west.

Moderators: HENDU3270, whistlin_wings, DoubleBayou

Coastal - Boat Question

Postby dhmc03 » Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:50 pm

Not new to the coast, boating, or duck hunting...

But am new to hunting ducks on the coast, or anywhere requiring a boat for that matter

MY QUESTION
Where and how far from the blind do I need to park the boat? 100 yds? 200? Up or down wind?

Its a poling skiff... white as white can be so not camo'd at all

Appreciate yer help in advance
dhmc03
hunter

Remove Advertisements

DuckHuntingChat.com
Advertisement

Re: Coastal - Boat Question

Postby dhmc03 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:23 am

Bump please
dhmc03
hunter

Postby DaScout » Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:43 pm

I hunted with a guide last season and he parked his boat behind us about 20 yards away. We were hunting on a spoil island, the center of the island had some water so, he just walked back and sat with us.
DaScout
hunter

Postby ToddnTX » Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:44 pm

Used my 19' bay boat for hunting until I bought my Jon boat this year. Bay boat is blue and white, I parked it about 200 yards away and walked to the blind. In colder/ hangover mornings I'd park it 75-100 yards away and kill just as many birds. I did partially cover it with a camo net, pretty sure it doesn't make a difference.
ToddnTX
hunter

Postby Hansona15 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:46 pm

ToddnTX wrote:Used my 19' bay boat for hunting until I bought my Jon boat this year. Bay boat is blue and white, I parked it about 200 yards away and walked to the blind. In colder/ hangover mornings I'd park it 75-100 yards away and kill just as many birds. I did partially cover it with a camo net, pretty sure it doesn't make a difference.

I have a question for you. I am new to Houston area I want to set my self up for fishing and duck hunting what kind of rig to you feel is ideal?
Hansona15
hunter

Postby Duckinsam » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:25 am

Hansona15 wrote:
ToddnTX wrote:Used my 19' bay boat for hunting until I bought my Jon boat this year. Bay boat is blue and white, I parked it about 200 yards away and walked to the blind. In colder/ hangover mornings I'd park it 75-100 yards away and kill just as many birds. I did partially cover it with a camo net, pretty sure it doesn't make a difference.

I have a question for you. I am new to Houston area I want to set my self up for fishing and duck hunting what kind of rig to you feel is ideal?

Aluminum tunnel hull bay boat with a Jack plate

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not sure
Duckinsam
hunter

Postby ToddnTX » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:18 pm

Duckinsam wrote:
Hansona15 wrote:

I would agree with this. However I'm ditching the outboard and going with a long tail this season.
ToddnTX
hunter

Postby Duckinsam » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:18 am

ToddnTX wrote:
Duckinsam wrote:
Hansona15 wrote:

I would agree with this. However I'm ditching the outboard and going with a long tail this season.

Idk how well the long tail would fair in the sandy bottoms
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not sure
Duckinsam
hunter

Return to Texas Duck Hunting