"The Teal are HERE"

Some of the best waterfowl hunting in the nation. Learn and share your experiences duck hunting in the Republic of Texas. From the Canada geese of the Panhandle to the Snows of Houston and estuaries for ducks on the coast and the livestock impoundments to the west.

Moderators: HENDU3270, whistlin_wings, DoubleBayou

"The Teal are HERE"

Postby smitgonhunting » Sat Sep 10, 2005 8:29 pm

My buddy went to our lease this weekend in Collegeport, Texas-Near Mad Island WMA, We have 2 fresh cut flooded rice fields, and he estimated aprox. 6,000 teal. My buddy also talked to the head guy at Mad Island WMA and he said they are holding about 8,000 birds on their flooded rice fields. He also said about 1,000 more birds are showing up daily. Forecasts look GOOD!
"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue."
smitgonhunting
hunter

Postby RedTx » Sun Sep 11, 2005 10:56 am

Thats good :thumbsup: . I havent seen a teal yeat at any of my places. Alot of the places I hunt are way low on water too.
Do you believe in the MEAN GREEN
RedTx
State Moderator

Postby mallard mangler » Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:45 am

I spent half a day yesterday on the water...no birds
"I do not hunt to kill, I kill to have hunted"
Jose Ortega y Gasset

www.texasdelta.org
mallard mangler
hunter

Postby smitgonhunting » Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:41 am

There wasnt that many birds but most of our groups limited out. Saw approx. 3,000 birds. Also saw alot of big ducks.
"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue."
smitgonhunting
hunter

Postby SupermagSlick » Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:02 am

We only got two near Richland Chambers-but I had a blast doing it. Those little duck billed rockets are fun to hunt, but hard to hit. You have to grow eyes on all sides-they come out of no where and are gone sometimes before you realize they are there. We did notice Wood Ducks flying with teal, so we had to study alittle harder before gunning. Also seen some big puddle ducks in the area and a few groups of ring necks flying around.
SupermagSlick
hunter

Postby mallard mangler » Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:16 am

We did notice Wood Ducks flying with teal, so we had to study alittle harder before gunning.

Interpretation:
"We did shoot plenty of wood ducks that had to be stomped into the mud after mistaking them for teal"
:toofunny: :laughing:
"I do not hunt to kill, I kill to have hunted"
Jose Ortega y Gasset

www.texasdelta.org
mallard mangler
hunter

Postby bw44 » Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:19 am

ahhhh the infamous rainbow teal.......been there, done that. :yes: And anyone :withstupid: who says they haven't is full of it. :tounge:
"Screw you we're from Texas.....we're from Texas, screw you." Ray Wylie Hubbard
bw44
hunter

Postby SupermagSlick » Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:41 am

Oh yeah, some of the other guys out there knocked a couple woodies down. Since this was my first time to hunt Early Teal, I didn't. It could've just as easily been myself or my friend that did it, they were everywhere.
SupermagSlick
hunter

Postby bw44 » Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:54 am

SupermagSlick wrote:We only got two near Richland Chambers-but I had a blast doing it. Those little duck billed rockets are fun to hunt, but hard to hit. You have to grow eyes on all sides-they come out of no where and are gone sometimes before you realize they are there. We did notice Wood Ducks flying with teal, so we had to study alittle harder before gunning. Also seen some big puddle ducks in the area and a few groups of ring necks flying around.

A little advise.......if they come in out of nowhere and dive-bomb your spread and keep flying.......try to refrain from shooting a waylay shot and stay hid, because 9 times out of 10 they will circle several times as long as they're not spooked. Also, let your partner shoot first :cool: ....... after the first shot they will usually fly straight up allowing you to pick off an easy double. :thumbsup:
"Screw you we're from Texas.....we're from Texas, screw you." Ray Wylie Hubbard
bw44
hunter

Postby SupermagSlick » Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:06 am

Thanks for the info, they tend to have a Hot and Low approach-I can remeber at least one flock that we let circle to make sure they were teal before we opened up on them. I hope its good for all the rest of this wweek, I doubt i'll make it back out due to the storm coming in Sat morning.
SupermagSlick
hunter

Return to Texas Duck Hunting