West Texas Duck/Goose Hunting

Some of the best waterfowl hunting in the nation. Learn and share your experiences duck hunting in the Republic of Texas. From the Canada geese of the Panhandle to the Snows of Houston and estuaries for ducks on the coast and the livestock impoundments to the west.

Moderators: HENDU3270, whistlin_wings, DoubleBayou

West Texas Duck/Goose Hunting

Postby Jonathan Knopp » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:23 pm

Hello Texans, I plan to be moving to Texas this June due to a job opportunity in Midland TX but I have some questions about the hunting down there. I have done plenty of research online and feel that I have a good idea of what to expect but I still have a few questions. Question 1: Are there many snow geese in the Lubbock, Midland, Haskell, areas? I have some connections around each of these places but still don't' know how many birds or what species primarily use this area. I have read that there are thousands of Canadas, but I haven't heard about snow geese. Question 2: What subspecies of Canada goose are most common in this area? My goose spread is ever growing but so far all I have are DSD Lessers and Honkers. Specifically, are there also cackling geese down there or primarily just the western and lesser subspecies (like I see in Washington)? I'd love an excuse to buy some DSD cacklers but honestly can't justify it where I live currently. Question 3: How about duck hunting? Are there decent numbers of ducks that use this area as a wintering ground or migratory route? I have experience hunting over water and in fields and am set up for both, but I don't hear much about ducks down there and kind of question if there are any at all.

Thank you for any and all responses. I am looking to get a basic idea of the species/numbers that winter or migrate through this area and look forward to hearing what you guy have to say. :beer:
"The only easy day was yesterday."
Jonathan Knopp
FNG

Remove Advertisements

DuckHuntingChat.com
Advertisement

Re: West Texas Duck/Goose Hunting

Postby Bsanders89 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:51 am

So in west Texas there are plenty of Canadian geese. We see mainly lesser and honkers. Occasionally we will see cacklers. Canadian geese stop here for the winter and won't continue on, so the bigger your spread the better. They mainly stay up towards Lamesa and northwards. We do see snow geese around the end of march, but they stay up towards Lubbock and the surrounding area within an hours drive. We also get plenty of specklebelly. Around here the big thing is Sandhill Crane. They stretch from Lubbock all the way down the Pecos river. Now with ducks you do have options. You can go 2 hours any direction and hit public duck hunting. The best is either towards Lubbock or towards the Pecos. I've seen mallards, gadwall, Rudy, pintail, buffleheads, all three teal, widgeon, shocker, wood ducks, redhead, canvasbacks, and ringnecks. There are the plays lakes up towards Lubbock or the reservoirs around Pecos and San Angelo. The best thing to do is to get with some of the guys involved in Ducks Unlimited. We have connections all over the area and cn get on land quicker. The big thing around here is deer, varmit, and predator hunting. Lubbock is hard to get a lease due to the guide services tapping them all out.
Bsanders89
hunter

Postby Duckinsam » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:56 am

Most of your hunting is going to be on private land. Actually 99% will be on private. The best way to be consistent is to find land with water, become good friends with the landowner or do whatever you have to do to secure a place to hunt. That's where your ducks will be.

There are thousands of Canada's, but your best bet will be to find where they are feeding and try to find the landowner that way. Canada's are a given, and the majority will be western lessers. You can find snows but they are hit and miss. You can usually find Specklebellies with the snows too so that will be fun.

One thing you should consider hunting is sand hill cranes. They are huge, taste like a ribeye steak and can get 3 a day. Plus one is big enough for a 2 person meal. Look into deception decoys, maybe learn to make "stuffers".

There's also a lot of bobwhite and scaled quail so that's always fun and pheasant north of Lubbock. Plus some giant mule deer and whitetail depending on where you are at.

Good luck, send me a pm when you move here. I'm about to graduate college and am looking for a job in the Lubbock panhandle area. Life can be great in west Texas. Obviously there's good hunting, but you'll quickly learn to appreciate local music and craft beer seeing as how that's taking over the state big time. Lubbock has even been mentioned the "Nashville of the Red Dirt music scene" (which is an oxymoron you will soon learn) so there's that to look forward to.

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not sure
Duckinsam
hunter

Postby Jonathan Knopp » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:45 am

Thank you for the responses guys, I really appreciate it.
Duckinsam, I am just graduating from college too and will definitely send you a pm once I get down there.
I look forward to the hunting opportunities that Texas will provide, specifically the waterfowling. I am an avid hunter of all animals and actually got my start hunting mule deer from a young age so it might be fun to give that a go once I get down there as well as try out the rest of what Texas has to offer in the way of hunting.
Thanks again.
"The only easy day was yesterday."
Jonathan Knopp
FNG

Return to Texas Duck Hunting