New to Utah, not new to hunting...

This is the Utah duck hunting forum where you are invited to communicate with other hunters like yourself.

Moderator: Spiraleyes

New to Utah, not new to hunting...

Postby DKDKGUS » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:17 pm

Hey all,

Just wanted to post up and say "HI" to everyone. I posted about a year ago when I was planning on moving to UT, but since then have not been able to hunt. I am a semi-experienced hunter from California... only about 9 years worth. I got rid of a bunch of my gear when I relocated, but did manage to keep the basics. I have met a few other waterfowlers since being here, but they just didn't seem to be that "hardcore" about it. I am never gonna ask for a specific area, nor will I post up about anything exact. I will post pics when able, and look forward to meeting a few of you fellas out in the field. Met a guy this morning after his hunt and was glad to see him frosted over and with a smile. No birds, but a fun time, even in these conditions. That is what it is all about for me!! A fun time with a chance of a shot or two for good measure. I also may have afflicted my girlfriends son with the waterfowl virus, so I may be asking some odd questions related to these areas. More so to make his first few hunts a bit easier so the virus takes hold. Well, I am always up for a PM, and look forward to hearing from you all about the good times and full straps.

JC
DKDKGUS
hunter

Re: New to Utah, not new to hunting...

Postby Snowbird » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:02 am

i don't know how old the boy is but you might want to wait for next season to start him off right. nothing ruins a young waterfowler faster than freezing your nuts off with no birds in sight. if he's young enough, the youth hunt is a good way to get him some birds that aren't already educated. even though our public school system is a little off, the ducks have their B.S. by the second week of october and are getting their masters degree by november.
Snowbird
hunter

Postby jdub654 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:16 am

I agree with Snowbird, when I was 13 it was my first year to hunt and because my father wasn't around then, my step father took us hunting, we went to Timpie springs, and I don't know if anyone has hunted there, but even opening day it was tough to shoot a box of shells, anytime beyond that you would be lucky to shoot out there, I wasn't into waterfowl hunting for too much years, because it was cold and boring, then my best friends father took me to farmington opening day, all the choas and all the hunters, but the sky was black and I shot 5 boxes of shells and killed 1 teal. I was hooked then. it was alot more fun and active, it taught me patience, then tuesday I sat on the ice with my brother, didn't see a bird for hours, then that drake mallard dropped in out of no where and we missed, 30 yards tops, but still the desire was there to go back out tomorrow, you know how it is, but I can tell you if it was for my that epic farmington trip, I honestly would not be a waterfowl hunter today. kids don't care about shooting good ducks typically, they want to be actively shooting, its fun at that age, especially when you don't have to buy your own steel shot :yes:
J Dub 654
Mossberg 835 Ultra Mag PUMP Baby ( Bangin Birds since '96 )
E-mail: Dawgjay@hotmail.com
Be my friend @ Facebook.com - Jeremy Watkins
jdub654
hunter

Postby DKDKGUS » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:08 pm

Thanks for the reply fellas, I know them cold winter mornings can be tough on the young kids, but he is 12 and rip roaring ready to go. He keeps buggin his Mom and I to go out on drives on Saturdays to see if he can call ducks with his first call he bought with his own $$. He has the desire for sure!! Since I have the holidays off right now I was hoping to take him someplace close to us in the Heber/Midway area and I have scouted a few areas near Deer Creek Reservior that are open to hunting. I figure that way, we can make it as long or as short a hunt as his 12 y.o. mind will let it be. I wouldn't dream of pushing him into this sport I love, more like let him see my enjoyment and hope to want to join me. And I do plan on getting him into a JR hunt for next season if he still wants to. His older brother hunts deer and elk with his Dad and seeing that makes him want to go also, so the desire is there :yes: Again, thanks for the replies and I'm gonna go check out the Farmington area the next time I get out that way.

JC
DKDKGUS
hunter

Postby jdub654 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:09 pm

Farmington is tough this time of year, you get a few hardcore's out trying to hunt the same small hole, eat steel from each other, but typically they are cool, brother and I hunted it Tuesday, another guy showed up, was cool we hunted opposite ends of the small hole, talked, borrowed cigarettes, etc, but sometimes you run into real @******, especially people that come sit on the dike right behind us when we are laying out on the ice 30 yards away on the edge of the water, but like I said, very few birds, very cold, but if you can handle it, its fun, good late season full plummage ducks.
J Dub 654
Mossberg 835 Ultra Mag PUMP Baby ( Bangin Birds since '96 )
E-mail: Dawgjay@hotmail.com
Be my friend @ Facebook.com - Jeremy Watkins
jdub654
hunter

Postby Bret » Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:23 am

welcome. Bring the young fella out to the Youth waterfowl fair next September. There is all kind of good info and a lot of prizes for the kids, and it is free for them. Watch for the anouncements. Hope to see you there.

Good luck all. I'm gonna go shoot some afternoon mallards.

Bret
Bret
hunter

Postby Mark F. Cheney » Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:14 pm

Hello,

If you can solve the trespass problem there are places on the Weber river that can be good and not too far from you. Don't over look the south end of Utah Lake. That should be a reasonable drive for you too. I am not familiar with Dee Creek or Echo resavours but I have a friend that does well on Pineview on the mud flats in the fall when the water is down. I should think that Deer Creek and Echo would be the same. Welcome to UTAH! I think that the marshes along the Wasatch front are some of the most productive in the continental US. You will get some good hunting info on utahmudmotor.com. They are a very helpful group of guys. Go down to Farmington Bay and talk to the refuge management people. They have a vested interested in your success and are helpful people. They are there all winter long. I like Harold Crane up north too. The Reeder Canal on the south end of Bear river, straight west of the Willard weigh station is a good walking hunt as well as a good boat hunt. There is an excellent walking hunt down Hills pasture, between Kaysville and Layton on Kays creek. It is a partnership between the state of Utah and Ducks Unlimited. It is about 5 years old now and is getting mature enough to be a good walking hunt as well.

Good LUCK! and welcome to Utah

Mark F. Cheney
utahmarshmotors.com on the Great Salt Lake marsh

801 721 3293
Mark F. Cheney
DHC Sponsor

Postby Ducks&Bucks07 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:48 pm

Best advice I can give you is to go out scouting yourself. I moved here 3 yrs ago and it took the whole 1st summer and fall to get it figured out. Now I'm shooting ducks and geese consistently. Burning up gas is the only way to find birds.
Ducks&Bucks07
hunter

Return to Utah Duck Hunting