How was everyones weekend out on the marsh?

This is the Utah duck hunting forum where you are invited to communicate with other hunters like yourself.

Moderator: Spiraleyes

How was everyones weekend out on the marsh?

Postby Quack-Addict23 » Sun Oct 03, 2004 9:11 pm

I had to work for the Division on opening so I didint get to hunt, if you went to Farmington I probably checked ya, anyway on sunday I took the boat on turpin. TONS of ducks, all decoying to. The best part though was calling in a lonely goose right into the floaters. Got him and guess what...a band. It was a terriffic day. How about the rest of ya?
"Whistling Wings"
Quack-Addict23
hunter

Postby Bret » Mon Oct 04, 2004 2:48 pm

My brother and I filled up Saturday eight malards two pintails and teal.
Sunday I did my best to get my wife some shots. The birds were working but I had to really work 'em. We only managed six four mallards two gadwalls. she did kill her first duck though a mallard then hooked up with a gad later. so she was happy. We had oppertunities that we did not get. she was hesitant on pulling the trigger a couple times stuff like that.

I love calling ducks my favorite thing.

Bret
Bret
hunter

Postby birdieman_21 » Mon Oct 04, 2004 4:40 pm

Farmington Bay was awsome Saturday at least for the group I was with we all limited out, all though some took longer than others. I had my limit in under 2 hours and If I hadn't stoped shooting teal I would have been done in 1hr. 5 teal 1 Mallard 1 Pintail. Two of the five teal was with one shot that was pretty sweet. But the funniest shot was by Duckmanwalking he took aim at this mallard about a mile high pulled the trigger and down she came almost in my lap, seriosly I had to move or it would have landed right on my noggin. Anyway I'm glad it's here and I hope everyone had a Fun and Safe Hunt.

"See Ya In the Sticks."
birdieman_21
hunter

Weekend Hunt

Postby LivitheDuck » Tue Oct 05, 2004 1:06 pm

We went out to Harold Crane and did not do too bad on saturday. The best part was not having to deal with people. Didnt get peppered one time. lol. We shot 14 ducks between 3 of us so not to bad.
LivitheDuck
Newb

opening day

Postby gracenjohn » Wed Oct 06, 2004 8:30 pm

I'm jealous. Our opening day is this weekend on one side of the state and on the 16th over here. AAAAARRRGHHHH!!!!! congrats to you guys and keep the reports coming.

John :thumbsup:
thanks be to God
gracenjohn
hunter

Postby brdprey » Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:58 am

well the opener went fairly well, took my 13 yrold and my pup you all know as "tanner"
what a joke for parking, here it goes......
430 am woke and got the truck loaded, shooting time isnt till 800 so we had plenty of time. stop get breakfast get to the marshes just to find out we arent the first ones there. some people have been waiting since wednsday ..... ok, no prob. lots and lots of people
son was over whelmed and so was pup. we walk for about 2 hrs to find a spot and finally find a spot.
700 am forgot chokes back at truck , go back and get them.
745 watching all the ducks in the air,est. about 1000 plus.
746 guns begin to go off, ducks fly by i wait till 800
800 810 get opportunity to shoot , miss miss and miss again.....huh maybe not enough lead.........miss miss .......crap
811 (roughly) hear shot wizz by my head..........
812 go over and give the teenagers a lesson in zone of fire......kid tells me to f88k off and cocks his shot gun tells me i need to mind my own buisness...........
815 start arguemnt with kids........
816 go back to hunting,,
817-830 see ducks , to high to shoot........kids shoot at anything and everything.
830 see a duck that is low enough. shoot it...........kids 8 of them and 4 from the other side of me run and get in fight over whos duckit is........me i go back to shooting.............
840 shooting almost done.............only shot off about 1/4 box. notice i didnt put in my choke........... feel real sick now...put in choke..........
841 see low flying teal. amazing enough he dodged alot of shots, i hit him head on.......droped it .
watch kids and guys with dogs get in fist fight over duck....go break it up.
850 tell the guy next to me opposite the teens......he needed to go get his duck in the marsh, he told me it was to deep for him. i send my dog out to get it........dog is lost . not sure were duck is..i wade out half way he gets idea and retrieves......... upset at dog now..........
get to shore , tanner delivers to had, i give to the guy he takes it and walks away, no thanks no nothing.
900 start home see many geese but had enough for the day.

however my son loved it and likes it better than deer hunting , he says that is got more action. lol........
basically that was my saturday........
I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, FORIEGN AND DOMESTIC;
brdprey
hunter

Postby Spiraleyes » Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:27 pm

And Brbprey pretty much just summed up why I don't make it out on opening morning LOL!!!!! :laughing:
Spiraleyes
State Moderator

Postby baumdiggity » Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:17 pm

We had a great time on opener. Got to the marshes two and a half hours before shooting times ... lot was full. Found a nice little pond that no one else was at and had a blast. I am a horrible shot so I went through two boxes of shells in a hour and came home with 5 teal and one hen mallard. But I had a great time and it was good to be back out in the marshes with a gun in my hand. The scouting paid off this year though having that small pond to ourselfs on opener was a treat.
Shoot ... pump .. shoot .. pump .. shoot (d**m)
try and shoot the sky around them another day
baumdiggity
hunter

Return to Utah Duck Hunting