Favorite ducks?

This is the Utah duck hunting forum where you are invited to communicate with other hunters like yourself.

Moderator: Spiraleyes

Favorite ducks?

Postby Bret » Wed Oct 06, 2004 9:17 am

What is your favorite duck and why?

Do you prefer puddle ducks or divers and why?
Bret
hunter

Postby Spiraleyes » Wed Oct 06, 2004 3:43 pm

I like puddlers. My favorite would be Pintails. They are just so cool looking when they come cruising into the decoys.
Spiraleyes
State Moderator

Postby Putney » Mon Oct 18, 2004 6:07 pm

i like green wing teal mostly cuz of colors but i love snowgeese they are jsut an awsome sight early in the morning when they all explode off the water.
Putney
Newb

Favorite

Postby 10GAUGE19 » Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:29 am

My favorite duck has got to be the American Widgeon. I love the color scheme of a fall plumage drake and they make one of the coolest calls of any duck. They also react to a call better than a lot of birds and decoy very well. So, the Widgeon has got to be one of my favorite ducks! The Canvasback comes in a close second. :thumbsup:
Pilots love to fly "HIGH"
10GAUGE19
hunter

Postby Wingshot3 » Fri Oct 22, 2004 12:12 am

My favorite is got to be mallards! then a real close 2nd is Pinnies and for divers I love Bluebills & Buffles
Fill em with Steel!!
Wingshot3
hunter

Postby magnumduckdog » Wed Nov 17, 2004 2:39 pm

greenheads (mallard) are my favorite duck, looking for the curls.
magnumduckdog
hunter

Postby carp » Wed Nov 17, 2004 3:26 pm

Aparently you guys dont know ducks :eek: The mightest of all ducks is the sawbill :thumbsup: :getdown:
carp
hunter

Postby Bret » Wed Nov 17, 2004 7:43 pm

Carp.... :umm: you and your sawbill fetish..... :umm:

I thought is was just a passing phase but ..no....you are truely in love ... well I don't know what to say other than give me a call I will point you the way I know where a bunch of the elusive beast have been hangin' lately.

You may even be able to as you have said in the passed be able to get them to "stick in the mud like lawn darts".

By the way my favorite duck is the mallard for the way they respond to calls, and the wary nature of the bird. I am also quite fond of wigeons, pintails, gadwalls, and the ever shifty greenwing teal.

Bret
Bret
hunter

Postby carp » Thu Nov 18, 2004 11:24 am

Bret, As Utahsprig always says "Do it for the pup" :mrgreen: Honestly Ive shot only one SAWBILL in the last three years. Most puddle ducks I really enjoy. Divers I like redheads, scaup and canvasbacks. :thumbsup:
carp
hunter

Postby UtahSprig » Thu Nov 18, 2004 12:43 pm

Hey, when ya wack one of those flying reptiles ya need an excuse. For the pup is about the best ya can do.

Bret, the whole sawbill thing started awhile back. Carp had me and the Dr. out on a hunt. We were covered in ducks, but they were all mergansers, but the good doctor filled up on them. Since then it's funny, but if there are mergansers in the area, Carp will find them (or they will find him :thumbsup: ).

Now, if we could convert him to coots, well he'd be a real waterfowler then :mrgreen: :getdown: :getdown:
UtahSprig
hunter

Postby Bret » Thu Nov 18, 2004 6:18 pm

Man .......... And I thought I had been dealin' with some real differant guys here. Anyway I knew it was a joke I just thought I would offer the info just in case..... because I was really starting to wonder. :salude:

I have to admit when I was younger I killed a limit or two of them myself. I even ate them all. they scare my brother half to death though He calls them devil ducks and sometimes thinks they are trying to get him with their big ugly red bill. Insanity.
It runs in the family.:help: what can I say?

Bret
Bret
hunter

Postby UtahSprig » Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:23 am

Oh Carp would shoot more, but he looses it when the sawbills come in. He starts twitching, drooling and his eyes bug out. Worst case of buck fever you will ever see :toofunny: :thumbsup: I mean, usually he's a pretty good shot, but sawbills are his curse. Now myself on the other hand, well, I think I'm at 100% on sawbills, spoonies and coots. Haven't taken many shots, but when I have, well they're dead :mrgreen: Now, if he's napping or eating (generally not paying attention) you can sometimes yell "TAKE EM!!!" and he'll snap off a quick shot and roll one before he realizes what it is. Then he's done for the day, he'll just sit there and gaze at that sawbill with this far off look in his eyes (I think there's a story of some long lost love there, but he's not telling anyone the details :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: ).

Tyler
UtahSprig
hunter

Postby carp » Mon Nov 22, 2004 8:19 am

What happens in the marsh stays in the marsh :getdown:
carp
hunter

Postby UtahSprig » Mon Nov 22, 2004 4:02 pm

carp wrote:What happens in the marsh stays in the marsh :getdown:

Thank goodness. People think we're weird enough as it is :withstupid: :toofunny:
UtahSprig
hunter

Postby Bret » Mon Nov 22, 2004 5:13 pm

:withstupid:
Bret
hunter

Postby carp » Tue Nov 23, 2004 9:10 am

Im just glad to be here :toofunny:
carp
hunter

Return to Utah Duck Hunting