Question for ya

This is the Utah duck hunting forum where you are invited to communicate with other hunters like yourself.

Moderator: Spiraleyes

Question for ya

Postby baumdiggity » Fri Oct 15, 2004 2:08 pm

When your sitting on a pond late afternoon or later on in the morning after the morning flights are pretty much over and its a blue bird day with nothing moving in the sky that you can see do you still blow your calls? I am not sure if I should sit there and call, or just sit there until I see something in the sky to call at. Any advice? Is it pointless for me to be blowing my call even though I can't see any ducks in the air?
Shoot ... pump .. shoot .. pump .. shoot (d**m)
try and shoot the sky around them another day
baumdiggity
hunter

Postby 10GAUGE19 » Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:32 pm

The only time I would suggest blowing a call without actual seeing birds, is in the fog. On a day when there is visibility, it doesn't do any good just to sit and blow a call! If you can't see birds in the air, there probably isn't any birds close enough to you to hear a call. Just keep the thing in your pocket until you can see birds....then pull it out and work them. Your decoys do more to attract the birds at first then your call ever will. I am a firm believer in the idea that less is best when it comes to calling. Just give them enough to keep them coming. There are probably more birds flared from hunters by improper use of a call then anything else. Good luck!
Pilots love to fly "HIGH"
10GAUGE19
hunter

Postby Bret » Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:35 pm

10 ga good advice.

Put the call away for sure unless you see birds( or the fog thing that worked for me one day.) that appear to be looking for a place to land. watch for skipped wing beats slowing of wing beats , and breaking up of the flock. all signs the birds want to land. You can blow on that thing until you are blue in the face and never pull down those high flying big flocks, and steady fast wing beats.they have a ticket to another game. I think that would help everyone a lot if guys would only call at birds that appear workable. Of course that would be in a perfect world. One more thing only do in the blind the things you do well with a call. More ducks are probably killed with simple quacks and single cut feeds than any other sound. I often hear Great goose callers tell me clucks and moans, clucks and moans. I am not a good goose caller but I can do that and it does help me kill a few birds.
good luck and good question.

Bret

Bret
Bret
hunter

Return to Utah Duck Hunting