introductions.

This is the Utah duck hunting forum where you are invited to communicate with other hunters like yourself.

Moderator: Spiraleyes

introductions.

Postby Bret » Thu Oct 21, 2004 3:07 pm

Hi I thought it a good Idea to find out a little bit about everyone here.
So introduce yourself. So far this has been a freindly board where people can ask questions without getting attacked. I like that!! :thumbsup:

My name is Bret I am 34 years old and live with my wife, two English setters, and a Geriatric Brittany that is my best pal. I can be found on a few of these boards I go by uweasel on the fuge. I have been at waterfowling all my life, and I am a Utah native. I am a contest duck caller and it is my passion. There is always much to learn about calling, and waterfowling in general.
I hunt upland game as well as waterfowl and love both equally.
I live for cupped ducks with there feet down and I love a Setter on point.

I prostaff for Rowdy DOA game calls so if anyone wants to try out a call let me know I always have a few customs around for sale. :spam:

I also coach and play soccer love the game.

I hope you all have a great season if you are new don't be scared to ask questions.
I hope to meet a few more of you it is always nice to make new freinds.

Some of you I already know 10 ga and I had a fun hunt yesterday. Thanks Matt!!!!

Bret
Bret
hunter

Postby O_E_J » Thu Oct 21, 2004 3:34 pm

Well all, my name is Jeremy. I have a great wife and two kids as well as a new huntin buddy, 8 mo old yellow lab and a skitso blue healer. I am a systems engineer for a financial institution. This is my first year of water fowling and I love it so far. I am always looking for new hunting buddies and always into learning and listening to make waterfowling both fun for the participants as well as having the least amount of impact on the environment.

If anyone out there is interested in helping me learn the ropes or want a buddie to hunt with out there drop me a line. My work schedule is very flexible and I can have open time for morning/day/evening hunts with a couple days notice. I have almost all the gear I need, even the dog! I want to learn how to use the decoys I have as well as experience calling ducks and geese into them.

I also enjoy big game hunting as well as the occasional upland hunt. I look forward to meeting you guys out there. Take care.
OEJ
O_E_J
hunter

Postby 10GAUGE19 » Fri Oct 22, 2004 8:49 am

Matt Odle(36)

I was born and raised in Utah County. :thumbsdown: Actually, I am just joking. I don't think there are too many places in the country that are better for raising a family then Utah. I am married and have two children-10yr old boy and a 2yr old girl. My father and I both played football at BYU. My father was an All-American wideout from 65-67. He then played 4yrs with the Detroit Lions and 4yrs with the NY Giants. I was an HM All-WAC wideout from 86-90. I was drafted by a WFL team, but did not pass my physical because of a herniated disc in my back. I have had 6 knee surgeries, 2 back surgeries, 2 hand surgeries, 1 hernia surgery and a few other's!
I have a commercial pilot's license and I am working on building my flight hours until I have enough to apply with some of the big carriers. I love flying! There is nothing better than being up 15K feet above the ground.
I started hunting with my dad when I was just a youngster. He was a big upland hunter, but I really wanted to waterfowl hunt, so he bought some decoys and I have never looked back. I mainly field goose hunt and like nothing better than pulling a trailer full of decoys into a cut cornfield. Most of the duck hunting that I do is jump shooting in the Uintah Basin. I have been hunting out there for almost 25 years and love the area. It used to be one of the best kept secrets in the state in my opinion, but it has really gone down hill the past 5 years. The drought and big numbers of hunters have really hurt the area. I do most of my goose hunting in Idaho. I am on the field staff for Hammerdown goose calls and would like to start comp calling if I can get a good routine down.
So, there is my life in a nut shell! I would like to get together with other members and do some hunting if anyone is interested.
Bret, thank you for a great hunt! If anyone wants to learn how to duck call from a guy who definitely knows what he is doing, get in touch with Bret. You should hear this guy work a flock of ducks! It's INCREDIBLE! :thumbsup: He is also one of the nicest guys you will ever meet.
Pilots love to fly "HIGH"
10GAUGE19
hunter

Postby baumdiggity » Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:53 am

Hi, my name is Matt also. Go figure two Matt's in one place at the same time I would have never guessed. :)

I am 26 years old and just getting back into duck hunting this year, not that I was every into it too deep before. My dad and I would go out everyonce and a while but the more I learn about it and the more I get into it the more I relize that "dads dont know everything."
My wife and I have been married for three years now and she really encourages me to do the things I love like, hunting, golfing, fishing etc so I guess I got lucky in that regards. We have been married for three years now and are still having a blast.

I have never been out duck hunting with someone who really knows his stuff before. Most of the things I have learned about duck hunting has been on websights and outdoor life tv. I am starting to make some improvements however, last weekend I shot a greenhead (first one ever) a gaddy and two cinn teal. All four of them I called in from a distance and got them to commit to the decoys before I pulled the trigger. What a blast, and what a rush. I still am not a very good shot but I am getting better. I have never gone goose hunting in my life but would really really like to give it a try. I am a little clueless on good spots to go etc. If there is anyone who not mind me tagging along to giving goose hunting a try I would really love to go. I would also really love to go out and hunt ducks with a few of you. Most of the time I end up out in the marshes all by myself becuase I can't find anyone to go with. So if there is anyone who would not mind me hanging out with them for a few hours please let me know. I try to go out every Sat and am not opposed to sneeking out a few Sundays too. I also work in the Finance Industry as a commercial loan officer so I have weekends and holidays off.
Please let me know if anyone is interested in a hunting buddie I would really enjoy meeting a few of you.
I have tried to get onto refugeforum as well but it wont let me sign up even on the weekends. So if you have any tips on that as well please let me know.

Looking forward to meeting a few of you, and learning all I can about a great sport.

Matt
Shoot ... pump .. shoot .. pump .. shoot (d**m)
try and shoot the sky around them another day
baumdiggity
hunter

Postby baumdiggity » Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:57 am

P.S. If there is anyone out there who would not mind me tagging along please email me at mattbaum78@hotmail.com I am not sure how the pm thing works though I see a lot of guys post that in their posts if that is an easier way to do things then by all means. Again I would really like to meet a few of you and learn from you. Thanks

Matt
Shoot ... pump .. shoot .. pump .. shoot (d**m)
try and shoot the sky around them another day
baumdiggity
hunter

Postby Quack-Addict23 » Fri Oct 22, 2004 10:50 am

Well my name is Justin and I am the Moderator for the Utah Forum. I am a HUGE waterfowler and try to get out as much as I can. I am 19 right now and am going to school to major in Wildlife Management. I mostly hunt the Farmington area and love it! I would be more than happy to bring someone along! Welcome to you all and all of you are making this forum better and better. We started off having like two people now look. Thanks again!
"Whistling Wings"
Quack-Addict23
hunter

Postby PUDDLEJUMPER » Fri Oct 22, 2004 1:52 pm

I am a new member today but I love duck hunting. My name is Joe and I was also born and raised in Utah. I am getting married November 12 so I havent even gone out this year but I have all the decoys ready and waiting. I am excited to get married and I hope my beatiful wife lets me go out hunting once in a while. I am moving to Pleasant Grove Utah so if anyone wants to go out and needs a buddy let me know. I am working full time for a bank right now so weekends are the best for me. I have really only hunted Central and a little southern Utah so I would love to go up North and try some new places as well as meet dome new faces. I am 23 and can pack a lot of decoys if you need me too. Quack-Addict I might have to take a trip to Farmington with you. Well it is nice to get to know you guys. I wanted to go to Strawberry this weekend but I might have to move stuff into my new place instead but if anyone else heads up there let me know how you did and if I go i will do the same.
PUDDLEJUMPER
Newb

Postby Bret » Fri Oct 22, 2004 2:29 pm

It is great to meet you all!!!
I will have Tues Wed and Thurs off for + weekends for the next month just to hunt birds most of that time I will be in ID If some of you have flexable scheduals Let me know due to the price of fuel I will probably stay in Ut at least some of the time... on a couple of weekdays I may need a partner. It will be short notice only a day or so. if you may be able to get away with that kind of notice shot me a pm or something. I will try to get with a few of you.
The only thing I ask is that you are safe, have waders, and allow me to call the shot. We will kill'em in close. No cripples :thumbsup:

Bret
Bret
hunter

Postby 10GAUGE19 » Fri Oct 22, 2004 3:10 pm

[quote="Bret"]
allow me to call the shot. :

Bret[/quote

CALL THE SHOT!!!! Been there and done that with you! :hammering:
10GAUGE19
hunter

Postby Bret » Fri Oct 22, 2004 4:46 pm

:umm: ouch Sorry Matt they should have came around once more they just did not know how to play I guess.
Bret
hunter

Postby 10GAUGE19 » Fri Oct 22, 2004 10:45 pm

Bret,
If I had every "let'em swing one more time" back, I could fill a dump truck up with birds!! Those things just didn't want to make that second swing?? No worry.....you can call the shot anytime! Thanks again. Good luck this weekend. Kill a few for me and tell Jimmy "BACK"
10GAUGE19
hunter

Postby Spiraleyes » Sat Oct 23, 2004 11:14 am

My name is Jim. I'm also from Utah, born and raised in Lehi. I live in Sandy now with my wonderful wife. We've been married a year and half. I work for Comcast cable, it's a cool place.

I shoot a Winchester Super X2, and a Browning BPS 12. I have a couple dozen decoys, and the rest of the necessary gear. I don't have room for a hunting dog yet, and the wife wants a small yappy dog that only stays indoors. hmmm.... I'd rather stick with a cat.

Anyway, I've been waterfowling since I was 12, I'm almost 27 now. Most of the time I hunt Farmington Bay, that is where my dad would take me when I was young, and I generally have a fun time there.

I've been goose hunting a couple times, as well as upland bird hunting a couple times. I think goose hunting is one of the most exhilirating things I've ever done in my life. Wow, what a rush when those big birds set their wings!

I would really like to hunt some new areas, and meet some new huntin' buddies as well.

Hey Bret, I have every Monday and Tuesday off, and I could get another week day off at hardly any notice. I'd love to be a guest of yours someday to be able to learn from a pro. I'll let you take charge of the ducks! Feel free to drop me a PM, I feel kinda awkward invinting myself.

Thanks for all the great tips, guys!
Spiraleyes
State Moderator

Hi

Postby 2shot » Sun Oct 24, 2004 5:21 pm

I have been eve's droping on you guy's for a few days....decided it's time to stand up and be counted.....I am 43, live in utah count, am a utah native, grew up in northern utah and didn't realize I was getting spioled by the great waterfowl hunting up there until I moved here to utah county about ten years ago....Now I drive 50 or more miles when I used to drive 5 or 10....I have a great wife who has started to hunt with me this year...she went before but didn't realy try to shoot anything...now she makes plenty of noise with her 12 gauge auto...lol..we have a 5 year old yellow lab male and a 14 week old yellow female lab pup....we live for the weekends...and have hunted from delta (fish springs) to willard (harold crane).....hunt mostly over decoys....poor shot so I like to shoot them close...lol...have way too many decoys (never thouhgt I'd say that)...poor calling abilities. but the duck's don't seem to mind ...anyway that's a bit about me, just thought it was time to crawl out of the mud, stand and be counted.
2shot
Newb

Return to Utah Duck Hunting