Newbie question

This is the Utah duck hunting forum where you are invited to communicate with other hunters like yourself.

Moderator: Spiraleyes

Newbie question

Postby O_E_J » Thu Oct 28, 2004 8:46 pm

Okay pro waterfowl hunters... How on earth do you determine the distance of birds when you first started out? I hate to say it but I think I may be skybusting without even knowing it?!? The last thing I want is to be a skybuster. Also what is a good all around shot size to use for duck and goose in a 2 3/4 or 3" shell?
OEJ
O_E_J
hunter

Postby Bret » Thu Oct 28, 2004 9:21 pm

Well I don't know about being a pro waterfowler but I have some experience, and will try to help.

This is a tough question, and I tend to error on the side of caution. I set my farthest decoy 35-40 normal steps from where I am sitting. I know that at that range I can kill effectivly. So if they are on the edge or inside the spread I know I can get 'em. The farthest decoy gives me something to relate to.
Pass shooting is a diferant game altogether and much more difficult to judge. for instance a mallard flys over and he looks much closer than a teal at the same distance.What I say is look for detail in the birds colors obviously you can not see detail in a mallard drake at say 70 yards. but you can at 30 or something. It is best I think to error on the side of caution more so than cripple or lose a bunch of ducks because they were just to far out to make clean kills. Also know that we all have and will make mistakes on judging distance, and we all started as beginers the fact that you have asked this question makes me think you are headed in the right direction.

As far as shot size goes I think there are 3 things you should look for when you buy shells Velocity (fps) how much shot is in the shell like 1 1/8 oz or 1 1/4 oz and of course shot size.

I shoot 1 1/4 oz of #2 shot at 1400fps or 1450fps through an improved cylinder choke in the decoys that is what I like. (They are federal speed shocks this year like $80 a case at Gallensons) If I were to pass shoot I would switch to modified choke but shoot about the same shell probably. I know plenty of guys that like to shoot smaller shot size in 1 1/8 or even 1 1/16 to shoot at faster speeds like 4s or 3s at 1550fps and there is no question steel at that speed is deadly unfortunatly in my gun I do not like the patterns it puts on paper so I stick with a little slower shell.

It was not to long ago I was shooting 1 1/4 oz of #2s or #1s at 1250 fps. That load killed well in the decoys. I wonder if we overkill a little, and maybe we do but I sure like the new loads.

I hope that helps some ...I am sure some other answers will come.
shoot em up!!!

Bret
Bret
hunter

Postby Wingshot3 » Fri Oct 29, 2004 12:18 am

Thats a real tuff question, I think the best way your going to learn is just alot of hunting practice sooner or later you'll get sick of wasting all those shells your shooting with nothin to show for it, as for shot size I've always had luck for ducks with 3" & 3shot and for geese I use 3" BBshot with my imp mod cyclinder.
Fill em with Steel!!
Wingshot3
hunter

Postby brdprey » Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:09 am

Wingshot3 wrote:Thats a real tuff question, I think the best way your going to learn is just alot of hunting practice sooner or later you'll get sick of wasting all those shells your shooting with nothin to show for it, as for shot size I've always had luck for ducks with 3" & 3shot and for geese I use 3" BBshot with my imp mod cyclinder.

i agree, practice, practice , practice.
lead is alot cheaper then steel. and down in provo......you should either beable to find a range or head to the west side of utah lake for some non interupted shooting with a thrower.
:smile:
I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, FORIEGN AND DOMESTIC;
brdprey
hunter

Return to Utah Duck Hunting