Weekend hunt

This is the Utah duck hunting forum where you are invited to communicate with other hunters like yourself.

Moderator: Spiraleyes

Weekend hunt

Postby PUDDLEJUMPER » Mon Nov 01, 2004 2:00 pm

I went out for the first time this season on Saturday because I have been so busy up till then. I was so excited that I got up really early and packed my decoys a couple miles and got set up way before shooting hours started but it was awesome watching the ducks. By the time I could shoot most of the birds had stopped flying except for the birds out in the open water there was tons of all different kinds of ducks but the weather was so nice they just stayed out in the middle where I couldnt get to them. I did see a flock of snow geese and swans and I still loved getting out and scouting the ducks. I have a question for all of you I am fairly new to duck hunting and I was wondering what if anything gets the ducks out off the open water? I know storms do I guess and once I was lucky and a bald eagle scared some birds off for me but is there anything else? thanks a lot.
PUDDLEJUMPER
Newb

Postby Bret » Mon Nov 01, 2004 3:20 pm

Boy if you can solve that problem sell the solution make millions. ( after you tell me what it is of course :mrgreen: )

I did have help from an eagle at one time too. He kept circling toover the raft they would get up one or two would come in then he would leave for a while then come back and the thing would repeat killed a limit of smilling spoonbills. I was greatful I would have killed nothing if it wasn';t for that eagle.
Strong wind does help a bunch. the other thing you could try is hunt smaller bodies of water.... of course you have to hunt as close to where the ducks want to be as possible so I understand that is not always a solution.

It is tough to compete with 1000 live decoys isn't it?

Bret
Bret
hunter

Postby carp » Mon Nov 01, 2004 4:15 pm

Puddlejumper,

Brett said it all. Ive tried coffins set up out in the middle if the water is low enough. Have had some success doing that. I think wind is a good friend when chasing ducks. :smile:
carp
hunter

Postby Bret » Mon Nov 01, 2004 6:19 pm

Carp it is good to see you over here. Sorry to hear the duck killin' is slow though.

Bret
Bret
hunter

Postby carp » Tue Nov 02, 2004 10:30 am

Thanks Brett. The slow hunts make you appreciate the fast shoots. Any day hunting is a good day for me. :getdown:
carp
hunter

Return to Utah Duck Hunting