Provo bay, Powell Slough?

This is the Utah duck hunting forum where you are invited to communicate with other hunters like yourself.

Moderator: Spiraleyes

Provo bay, Powell Slough?

Postby if they fly they die 1994 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:52 pm

Hey everyone i was just wondering the best way to access these two wma's i tried powell slough yesterday afternoon and could not find any way to get around all those nasty cat tails and reeds and ended up just settling with lincoln beach but am also wondering how to get into provo bay i only have waders and a small decoy spread so any tips for duck hunting those two areas?
4 Teal
30 Mallards
2 redheads
6 pintails
2 honkers
1 canvasback
5 gadwalls
if they fly they die 1994
hunter

Re: Provo bay, Powell Slough?

Postby utduck » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:26 am

Boat. I wouldn't go near powell till later in the season. The mud there will swallow you until the ground freezes. Also the water level on Utah lake is really high this year. Not sure if you can walk into those areas at all unless the water drops. Maybe try and find a cheap used canoe on ksl? Just to paddle in and pick up birds. Not to hunt out of. Good luck.
utduck
hunter

Postby MAX4Utah » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:51 pm

utduck wrote:Boat. I wouldn't go near powell till later in the season. The mud there will swallow you until the ground freezes. Also the water level on Utah lake is really high this year. Not sure if you can walk into those areas at all unless the water drops. Maybe try and find a cheap used canoe on ksl? Just to paddle in and pick up birds. Not to hunt out of. Good luck.

Like utduck said, the water is much deeper this year. Spots where we were wading last year are 5 and 6 feet deep right now. Cheap boat or canoe is the way to gat out this year.
MAX4Utah
hunter

Postby skybusterbob » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:48 pm

I went swimming twice last Thursday and froze my nuts off. I haven't fell twice in ten years and twice on a trip.Water is high like others said.
skybusterbob
hunter

Postby if they fly they die 1994 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:39 pm

Alright sweet thanks might have to wait until next year ha ha. Guess i will just stick to the south part of utah lake. Also is there any explanation why duck hunting is sorta poor right now down there?
4 Teal
30 Mallards
2 redheads
6 pintails
2 honkers
1 canvasback
5 gadwalls
if they fly they die 1994
hunter

Postby skybusterbob » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:53 pm

if they fly they die 1994 wrote:Alright sweet thanks might have to wait until next year ha ha. Guess i will just stick to the south part of utah lake. Also is there any explanation why duck hunting is sorta poor right now down there?

Because it gets hunted every single day of the year by multiple people.
skybusterbob
hunter

Postby foulmouth » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:52 pm

don't mind skybusterbob the hunting on utah lake is great :lol3: nevermind the six boats at every launch during the weekdays it just keeps the birds moving. note I did say boats the lake is high and walk in access is hard to find. But south of the first springville exit on the frontage road is a decent spot. That being said if I were still a foot soldier I might be going west and south where the water is white and shallow and the boaters don't go because we are to lazy. good area over there it used to be dried up but has water in it now. good luck and take a picture of your canvas back when you bag it.
foulmouth
hunter

Postby skybusterbob » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:41 pm

There is the ole foulmouth. How'd the shooting go this morning? I'm not talking birds but actual shell per bird ratio? Lol
skybusterbob
hunter

Postby foulmouth » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:29 pm

weeelllll.... right now i'm shooting about 1 box per bird but don't worry I just bought a brand new fancy shmancy choke tube that guarantees ducks in the bag. going to improve my accuracy 300%. I think its called the new improved black cloud choke tube.
foulmouth
hunter

Postby Wack em', stack em', pack em' » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:39 am

It's a new year boys. I DO have a 16ft low boat etc that I can use for hunting, and would like to hunt Powell as it is close (instead of making trips up to farmington or hull all the time). I heard that it is restricted to motorized boats? Is that true? Also, where does everyone launch from on Ut. Lake? I've been out to the Ut. Lake state park launch, Vineyard launch, lindon... they all cost 8-12 bucks. Is there a free launch? What do you have to tell me? :hi:
Wack em', stack em', pack em'
hunter

Postby mycoltbug » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:26 pm

apparently there is a free launching point out at the lower hobble creek wma by springville. Though I don't know as I don't have a boat.
mycoltbug
Newb

Postby MAX4Utah » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:16 pm

mycoltbug wrote:apparently there is a free launching point out at the lower hobble creek wma by springville. Though I don't know as I don't have a boat.

Wow, this thread is 2 years old : )
I went to the sportsmans access today in springville and it is not accessible with a boat, or wading for that matter. I took two steps in the mud and was stuck to my knees, dangerous.
MAX4Utah
hunter

Return to Utah Duck Hunting