A FEW BIRDS

This is the Utah duck hunting forum where you are invited to communicate with other hunters like yourself.

Moderator: Spiraleyes

A FEW BIRDS

Postby carp » Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:31 am

Utahsprig and The most handsome me, sorry i get carried away sometimes. Anyway we hit utah lake on a mini death march saturday. We took out 250 silos and about 5 dozen regular decoys all in are coffins. About 8:15ish we had a flock of widgeon come in and we pulled down 4 widgeon and a spoonie. They were right there. Picture perfect. Around 11:30 Utahsprig had to go so I stayed out tell about 2:00 missed one little flock of three around noon, then around 1:30ish I had 3 little flocks working and one came a little to close and I shot another widgeon. :mrgreen: Do you guys ever notice the walk back :help: is twice as hard as the walk in?
carp
hunter

Postby UtahSprig » Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:47 am

Hehe, it was raining birds :getdown: :getdown: . I just want to know why you had to shoot a spoony when the air was full of widgeon? Still, 5 birds down out of one flock wasn't bad.

Glad you saw a few more, I was wishing I would have been able to stick around longer. Where ya sleeping again when the noon flock came in?

Hey, you were really visible. I could see the silos clear over at the next point way up the road. Got mine cleaned off, that mud is nasty, it was into everything.
UtahSprig
hunter

Postby carp » Mon Nov 08, 2004 11:09 am

When I got home I sprayed off the silos the decoys and myself. The decoys are not spottles. They look better then they did. Yes I was sleeping and those dang birds woke me up :oops: :mrgreen: I think my shotgun took an hour to clean.
carp
hunter

Postby Wingshot3 » Thu Nov 11, 2004 12:49 am

What part of U.lake did you guys go? I was at the south end by lincon beach sat mornin but I was huntin for pheasants & geese, did get some shots at some geese real early around 8:30 but as for the pheasants nothin!! lots of shooting all around us but we were in the wrong place wrong time!
Fill em with Steel!!
Wingshot3
hunter

Postby carp » Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:41 am

Wingshot3,

We were at the south end. It was some what of a death march.
carp
hunter

Postby UtahSprig » Fri Nov 12, 2004 11:06 am

It was more than "somewhat" of a death marsh. Hauling 250 decoys out into the lake through that mud was definitivel a death march :eek: Funny the crazy things we'll do for a few ducks isn't it?
UtahSprig
hunter

Postby Wingshot3 » Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:59 am

Yea! us duck hunters are a bit crazy, I get that all the time from friends and family, there always telling me I'm crazy getting up at 4am and trekking thru stinky muck trying to get them damn birds!! but I love every bit of it!!!
Fill em with Steel!!
Wingshot3
hunter

Postby Bret » Sat Nov 13, 2004 7:35 pm

I have always said in order to be a duck hunter there has to be a part of you that enjoys being miserable.......walking to far with to heavy of a sack..... freezing feet...... cold hands..... rainy, snowy, and windy days are good days... We are not all there...screws loose!!!! koo koo!!! :help:

By the way a decoy sack always weighs more in the afternoon or evening than in the morning.

Bret
Bret
hunter

Postby UtahSprig » Mon Nov 15, 2004 1:52 pm

Miserable is a state of mind (for those who haven't lost theirs :toofunny: ). However, Carp pushed me into the water Saturday so I spent the last hour wet, and it took me an hour once home to get all the water out of my gun :umm: :help:
UtahSprig
hunter

Postby carp » Mon Nov 15, 2004 2:45 pm

That will teach you to get in the way of me and my sawbill :toofunny:
It was sort of funny to look over there and see you chest deep in water that was only knee deep :yes:
carp
hunter

Postby UtahSprig » Mon Nov 15, 2004 2:48 pm

Hey, the hole I found was deeper than knee deep :oops: . Still, I avoided doing a face plant, but you still beat me to that stinking sawbill :pissed: :thumbsup:
UtahSprig
hunter

Return to Utah Duck Hunting