'Spectra Shot'

This is the Utah duck hunting forum where you are invited to communicate with other hunters like yourself.

Moderator: Spiraleyes

'Spectra Shot'

Postby slcduckkilla » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:02 am

Has anyone had any experience with this shot? It seems like a nice idea when hunting with large groups. I checked their website http://spectrashot.com/ in hopes of seeing the results on a downed duck or goose and no such luck.... I was curious if anyone had tried this.........
slcduckkilla
hunter

Re: 'Spectra Shot'

Postby slcduckkilla » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:00 am

Interesting I just received a call back from the owner of 'Spectra Shot'. It seems these guys are avid waterfowlers(not CEOs trying to make a buck) and building a fantastic product that wont cost you an arm and a leg to purchase. I'm going to give it a try.........
slcduckkilla
hunter

Postby Locked&Loaded » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:25 am

Pretty interesting! Never heard of it. How much does a box run price wise?
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby slcduckkilla » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:37 am

As I understand it a box of 12 gauge 2 shot will run right around 22.99$ a box(not the cheapest stuff out but much more affordable than other shells). The shot is US made steel and each pellet is perfectly round and powder coated with the color of your choice. The owner told me they have done pattering and it patterns very well do to the the roundness of the steel pellet and the coating. The coating adds 2 milligrams per pellet and creates some give which is producing better patterns. Hope this helps and I could be misspoken but relaying to the best of my recollection from my conversation with 'Spectra Shot'. I know I will give it a try....
slcduckkilla
hunter

Postby Spectra Shot » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:04 pm

Finally Spectra Shot has been able to get past all of the necessary testng of our coating for USFWS approval. Ben is correct on all points with his post. Interestingly enough the 2mgs of additional weight on the number 2 steel makes a huge difference in knock-down power. The extra weight helps to bring more kinetic energy upon impact, and as you well know, hits 'em like a ton of bricks.

Thanks,

Blair
Thanks,

Spectra Shot
Spectra Shot
Newb

Postby Locked&Loaded » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:06 pm

slcduckkilla wrote:As I understand it a box of 12 gauge 2 shot will run right around 22.99$ a box(not the cheapest stuff out but much more affordable than other shells). The shot is US made steel and each pellet is perfectly round and powder coated with the color of your choice. The owner told me they have done pattering and it patterns very well do to the the roundness of the steel pellet and the coating. The coating adds 2 milligrams per pellet and creates some give which is producing better patterns. Hope this helps and I could be misspoken but relaying to the best of my recollection from my conversation with 'Spectra Shot'. I know I will give it a try....

Thanks for the information. That is a little bit spendy, but certainly not the most expensive shell on the market. I like to try everything out there to see what shells and shot size seem to pattern best in my gun. I'm gonna give it a try.
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby slcduckkilla » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:28 pm

I will also give it a go. I'm going to grab a box of their target load for the dove hunt in a couple weeks. Let me know what you think after hunting w or patterning and I will do the same........
slcduckkilla
hunter

Postby Blackcloud870 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:01 am

slcduckkilla wrote:I will also give it a go. I'm going to grab a box of their target load for the dove hunt in a couple weeks. Let me know what you think after hunting w or patterning and I will do the same........

Bump.
Anything on this guys? I've not yet heard any feedback on these yet. Well...I heard one bit of feedback and it was that one of these shells caught on fire inside of one of JaySweet's buddy's gun :oops:
Just curious to see if either of you guys had tried them yet and what you think of em'
threedogs wrote: wrote:One word, Inflatable decoys......

DanJeffandJack wrote:I just drink beer and crush box.

That's how I remain the physical specimen that I am.
Blackcloud870
hunter

Postby slcduckkilla » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:48 pm

I was never able to find any to purchase locally and did not feel like purchasing a case online or paying shipping for one box. The owner told me it would be available at Cabelas but I'm yet to see it.
slcduckkilla
hunter

Return to Utah Duck Hunting