deeking swans

This is the Utah duck hunting forum where you are invited to communicate with other hunters like yourself.

Moderator: Spiraleyes

deeking swans

Postby quack_attack » Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:13 am

Anyone ever used dekes on swans? I heard that unit 2c in the BRBR is the best to try it, is that what is called slaughters point? If anyone has could you give a guy some pointers, thanks. Bret do you hunt with Lynn from Tooele?
If God didn't want you to eat the animals, he wouldn't have made them out of meat!
quack_attack
hunter

Postby bbaird » Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:54 pm

A better place to hunt swans this time of year is at Harold Crane behind Willard Bay. Another good place is Bear River Bay out by promontory. I hope this info is helpful.
bbaird
bbaird
hunter

Postby Bret » Tue Nov 23, 2004 2:16 pm

my brother decoyed his this year. I have been in blinds where guys have decoyed them in four differant places but have not had a tag myself in at least ten years. I am going out this ( traditionaly crowded) weekend to help a couple freinds decoy them. It is pretty easy from my expeariance. two three big white decoys will most likely get it done. My brother painted up some white goose floaters. That is what we will use.
I hope this helps some.

I do not recall hunting with a Lynn from Tooele, but I might have.

Brian your name sounds familiar where do you guide?

Bret
Bret
hunter

Postby quack_attack » Wed Nov 24, 2004 8:33 am

Thanks guys, I might have to give Harold crane a try, I'm getting tired of going to the BRBR , my gun only shoots 3" shells and I'm using T shot, is this enough? I have 1550 fps shells.
If God didn't want you to eat the animals, he wouldn't have made them out of meat!
quack_attack
hunter

Postby Bret » Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:07 am

I killed my first swan with a 20 ga. my second with a 12 ga 2 3/4. it is all about shot placement. to many people try to hit them in the body if you hear pellets slap and the bird does not come down lead it by another foot or so the next shot I bet it falls. I am a beleiver in shooting them in the head and neck.

Bret
Bret
hunter

swan deeks

Postby ricosuave1 » Mon Nov 29, 2004 11:23 am

I was out at Ogden Bay this past weekend and saw a guy use three white garbage bags as decoys. 15 minutes later he had a single swan come right into them. I've seen plenty of swans at ogden this year.
ricosuave1
Newb

Postby Quack-Addict23 » Fri Dec 03, 2004 8:25 am

I went out to Farmington and decoyed my first swan, just used two super mag goose shells painted white with foam on the bottom to make them float. It was unbelievable. What a rush to see one of the biggest birds you can shoot coming right in. sometimes the decoys help at least bring them in your direction even if they dont put the landing gear down. i think it gives you that little extra edge.
"Whistling Wings"
Quack-Addict23
hunter

Postby Green Head » Sat Dec 04, 2004 12:02 pm

Can anyone out there give me some info on getting a swan tag or if you need a special tag or what it is I need to do in order to hunt swans
Thanks
Where ever you go there you are.
Green Head
Newb

Postby Bret » Sat Dec 04, 2004 5:30 pm

try the DWR website it is all there. You will have to aply next Aug. or Sept. I beieve.

Bret
Bret
hunter

Return to Utah Duck Hunting