Layout Boats

This is the Utah duck hunting forum where you are invited to communicate with other hunters like yourself.

Moderator: Spiraleyes

Layout Boats

Postby simpleyork » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:59 pm

thinking of saving for one of these for the next year, what works well and what doesn't is my main question, seen the ones at Sportmans wharehouse, wondering if they work well for Divers or would it be best to pick one up from Lake Bonneville layouts?
thanks for your oppinions
it's not how many you get but how many you say you get
simpleyork
hunter

Re: Layout Boats

Postby The Billcollector » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:25 pm

First you need to decide if you want to hunt open water, or the grass line/phrag/cover. If you want to hunt open water you are gonna need an open water boat. ie lake bonneville. I know alot of people that have bought a marsh rat, or stealth and tried to use it in the middle of the water, and ended up being dissapointed.

The marsh rat style is great for paddling,carrying gear, and hunting cover.
The Billcollector
hunter

Postby Jbthemachine » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:33 pm

I have a lake bonneville layout boat that I will give u a good deal on, message me if u are interested, I personally have not had a lot of luck with layout boats... But I almost always target puddle ducks, geese decoy well into it, and so do divers.
Jbthemachine
hunter

Postby simpleyork » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:40 pm

it would be for open water, namely divers. I've got a canoe I use for hunting the edges and reeds.
Pm sent
simpleyork
hunter

Postby Gonegoosin » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:25 am

I experienced my first layout hunt last year in a Lake Bonneville layout and committed that day to buy one in the Spring. We have had an absolute riot with this boat. We've shot a pile of Divers, Geese, 2 Swans and a fair number of puddle ducks with it this season and hope to pile on more. One thing you need to to be prepared for should you purchase one is the number of decoys you need to set it up correctly. Tony told me to have a minimum of 150 ducks so i made the commitment and don't regret it. I say go for it. My son thought I was insane investing what I have for this and future seasons. It took one time, just once and he was addicted. With this boat, set up correctly, if they fly they die! BUY ONE.
Gonegoosin
hunter

Postby simpleyork » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:50 am

Guess I need to start stock piling my decoys up for the next year.
Now you've got me really excited to go get one sooner than later.
simpleyork
hunter

Postby Duckassassin001! » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:17 pm

i got a lbb layout this summer and used it about a dozen or so times and loved it each and every time out specialy for divers and honkers had a regret on buying it as for decoys paint some old ones black with some white and your set just look up some pics and do your damndest to mimic what ya see diver deeks are spendy to bye and cheap to paint and you wont feel as bad when you blast one.
Full time Hunter Part time Worker
Duckassassin001!
hunter

Postby simpleyork » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:49 pm

Yah I've seen some hot buy mallards painted up. So I will probably go that way.
As far as putting weights and line on them, how is that done? do you string a few together or do individual weights and lines?
simpleyork
hunter

Postby Gonegoosin » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:17 pm

I put a single line and weight on each of mine. I made sure I had plenty on each for any situation I may encounter. I would highly recomend doing them Texas Rig style based on how easy they are to pick up. Mine are strait singles so mine take a bit more time to set up and pickup.
Gonegoosin
hunter

Postby bulrider98 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:34 pm

I wished I would of had a layout boat and some diver decoys over thanksgiving weekend. I was in south east Idaho and found a ton of diver ducks and geese but no way to hunt them on the open water.
bulrider98
hunter

Postby layouthunter01 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:20 pm

Even though the boat is probably really nice i would think twice before doing business with this company go somewhere else to purchase a layout boat. Unless you enjoy being lied to, not receiving any information about your order when it hadn't been completed when told it was.
Last edited by layouthunter01 on Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
layouthunter01
hunter

Postby The Billcollector » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:44 pm

Be careful bud, you are talking about a guy that is as stand up as they come. If you think he has changed his number you are wrong. He has the same number he's always had. If you have tried to call recently, and didnt get an answer it because his personal phone is laying on the bottom of the GSL. I would think twice about slandering a guy, and a company that so many people like, and respect. If you have had some kind of bad experience, you should be a man and go to him first
The Billcollector
hunter

Postby layouthunter01 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:06 pm

That is very interesting I have tried Numerous times to contact him and have even been in contact with his business partner who has been responsive. however it is unacceptable to not return phone calls emails after you have told someone their boat is done and being shipped the next day multiple times when you messed up and the boats where not done. that was three months ago and i still haven't seen my boat. After multiple attempts to contact him via email and via phone through the whole process only to find out second hand that they boats were not done and had not shipped... THAT GREAT STAND UP BUSINESS LET ME TELL YOU!!! All i ever wanted was to know if my boat was done and if it shipped and when to expect it. My Frustration is from the fact that after multiple messages emails ect. I didnt know if my boat was even being built. However he was willing to return calls for new orders when friends called interested in ordering a new boat and left a message they got Prompt responses. THAT IS BAD BUSINESS
layouthunter01
hunter

Postby Duckassassin001! » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:54 pm

wha whaa whaaa like you've never got busy and fallen behind on stuff you've promised done before
Full time Hunter Part time Worker
Duckassassin001!
hunter

Return to Utah Duck Hunting