Cacklers

This is the Utah duck hunting forum where you are invited to communicate with other hunters like yourself.

Moderator: Spiraleyes

Cacklers

Postby Factor 8 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:47 pm

Just curious how many of you guys have harvested a cackler this year. I pulled one out of a flock of mallards. My brother pulled in a flock of 4 the other day. It seems there are a handful of them around this year. I haven't shot one til this year. Kind of odd...
Factor 8
hunter

Cacklers

Postby hamernhonkers » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:05 pm

Heard they are thick in northern nevada. I hammered on a big flock about 4 years ago in central utah for two days but haven't seen any since. Neat little birds.

Live from somewhere beneath the desert and brought to you via Tapatalk
Hello

David wrote:
I have suspended the suspension on the suspended, allowing the suspended to post in a non-suspending manner.
hamernhonkers
hunter

Re: Cacklers

Postby Kevin N » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:00 am

Here is the pic of the best one of the bunch.. going to the taxi.. Did alot of reading on geese today.. Man there are a lot of sudspecies. To be concidered a cackler there bill has to messure 32 MM or 1 17/64" or less, this guy fits the bill... Cacklers weight from 3 to 5 pounsds.. lessers are from 6 to 10lbs bill messurement from 32mm to 40 mm.. and greaters are over 10lbs bill leanght over 40mm. interesteng read for sure..would like to go to Oregon and get a dusky goose and a Alutian cackler in Cold bay... I think collecting birds sucks :help:

Kevin N
hunter

Postby Kevin N » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:53 pm

I know that pic sucks but, took it to more of bird guy than me... According to the USFW its a cackler.... but there are many subspecies of cackler.. this happens to be a Richerson's cackler canada goose... a true cackler is smaller and dark chested..
Kevin N
hunter

Cacklers

Postby hamernhonkers » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:32 pm

Looks to be a good bird Kevin. Make sure to post pics of the mount when its done.

Live from somewhere beneath the desert and brought to you via Tapatalk
Hello

David wrote:
I have suspended the suspension on the suspended, allowing the suspended to post in a non-suspending manner.
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby richard rouleau » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:47 pm

i got one last year down here in southern utah
076.JPG
southern utah waterfowler
richard rouleau
hunter

Postby The Billcollector » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:37 pm

Here is one from idaho a couple years ago
The Billcollector
hunter

Postby slcduckkilla » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:43 pm

WE shot 6 one day off Utah Lake. It was interesting as they did not seem to be any smaller than the other birds in the flock so assumed the flock of about 12, was all cacklers. After the birds were on the ground we could see there was a substantial difference between the other birds. We also harvested 2 snows that day maybe they got lost together
slcduckkilla
hunter

Return to Utah Duck Hunting