Needed

This is the Utah duck hunting forum where you are invited to communicate with other hunters like yourself.

Moderator: Spiraleyes

Needed

Postby flyphishr » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:43 am

I need feathers for fly tying!! I am looking for mallard, teal, and woodduck flank feathers (the small rounded ones that look "barred") and I need wing feathers. I am tying Classic Carrie Stevens style streamers and winged wet flies. Buying them in large packs only yeilds a handful of what I consider usable feathers. These flies are mainly for show so I am particular in their looks. I'd take AS MUCH AS YOU HAVE. I can meet up to get them, I'll come to you. I am in Syracuse, please text 801 680 5960. Thanks, and I'll tie you a couple for yer troubles. Phil
flyphishr
hunter

Re: Needed

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:21 pm

flyphishr wrote:I need feathers for fly tying!! I am looking for mallard, teal, and woodduck flank feathers (the small rounded ones that look "barred") and I need wing feathers. I am tying Classic Carrie Stevens style streamers and winged wet flies. Buying them in large packs only yeilds a handful of what I consider usable feathers. These flies are mainly for show so I am particular in their looks. I'd take AS MUCH AS YOU HAVE. I can meet up to get them, I'll come to you. I am in Syracuse, please text 801 680 5960. Thanks, and I'll tie you a couple for yer troubles. Phil

If you are not in a huge hurry to get them, I'll start saving them now and we can meet up at the end of the season. Right about now is when I usually get into the teal and mallards. I'm not sure if we are able to sell them though because they are a federal protected species. Let me know and I'll gather all that I can over the next month.
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby flyphishr » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:53 pm

I was hoping for free throw always, not buying any. Let me know whenever yer ready with some. Thanks, Phil
flyphishr
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:08 pm

flyphishr wrote:I was hoping for free throw always, not buying any. Let me know whenever yer ready with some. Thanks, Phil

Just to clear things up, I saw that you said "buying them in large packs" so I must have misunderstood. Give me until the end of the season and I'll save what I kill.
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby flyphishr » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:23 pm

Sorry. Buying feathers from the best fly shop in a half ounce bag yields only a couple decent feathers for presentation flies. Seen here are some wood duck, silver fez, etc. Look up on google Carrie Stevens pink beauty and you'll see a good teal(?) shoulder.
http://www.rareandunusual.com/classic4.html
flyphishr
hunter

Postby loondog » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:20 pm

I'd be glad to donate mine. Especially for a fly or two.
loondog
hunter

Postby bulrider98 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:01 pm

I will save what I can. I have not shot many ducks though this year.
bulrider98
hunter

Postby Holeinmywaders » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:21 pm

I will also try to save you some. Wish I had known this weekend cause I had quite a few.
Holeinmywaders
hunter

Postby flyphishr » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:37 pm

Probably too much info but these flies were tied by a lady named Carrie Stevens. Her husband was a fishing guide in the Rangley area of Maine. She started tying the flies, in hand, mind you, with no vise or bobbins or tools of today. This was back in the early 1900's, think she was born in 1880 or something. Ever heard of the Grey Ghost? She invented it. Now, I've tied flies for 25 years and I'm pretty proficient, mostly western style bugs and streamers. But her flies are kicking my ass....they'll fish, I just want to get to display quality streamers. She is the inventor of many sweet, pretty streamers, just google "Carrie Stevens fly tier", the guys tying her stuff nowadays make stuff you'd rather frame on yer wall than fish. So I get tying, get a bug done, hate it, and the razor blade comes out...need LOTS of feathers for al my misties. Thanks to all who will help me out in this new addiction. Phil
flyphishr
hunter

Postby flyphishr » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:21 pm

Bump for anyone going out this weekend. I'll come to you for the feathers.
flyphishr
hunter

Return to Utah Duck Hunting