ICE UPDATE

This is the Utah duck hunting forum where you are invited to communicate with other hunters like yourself.

Moderator: Spiraleyes

ICE UPDATE

Postby All Ducked Up » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:24 pm

Anybody have any updates for the state as far as areas starting to ice up thick enough to shut out boats?

Farmington?
Ogden?
BRBR?

ETC....
_______________________________________________________________________________________

Hunting isn't just something I do, It's a part of who I am.

2013 - 2014 count

6 Mallards
6 Pins
4 Gads
10 GW Teal
7 Cinn Teal
1 Wigeon
and
2 Shovies :(
All Ducked Up
hunter

Re: ICE UPDATE

Postby one8sevenn » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:42 pm

It's coming. A couple more days of this cold and we will have a hard freeze.
Just scaring ducks with high velocity steel BB's
one8sevenn
hunter

Postby Wack em', stack em', pack em' » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:19 pm

Don't know about up towards GSL, but the shallower areas on Utah Lake are freezing.
Wack em', stack em', pack em'
hunter

Postby Wack em', stack em', pack em' » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:19 pm

Also, for those ice-fisherman, there was 5 inches today on Scofield.
Wack em', stack em', pack em'
hunter

Postby jake001 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:27 pm

I got a really good tip as far as where to go with a boat once everything ices over, gotta find it though,
jake001
hunter

Postby All Ducked Up » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:17 pm

jake001 wrote:I got a really good tip as far as where to go with a boat once everything ices over, gotta find it though,

I'll get with ya, hopefully we can get out as soon as you get back
_______________________________________________________________________________________

Hunting isn't just something I do, It's a part of who I am.

2013 - 2014 count

6 Mallards
6 Pins
4 Gads
10 GW Teal
7 Cinn Teal
1 Wigeon
and
2 Shovies :(
All Ducked Up
hunter

Postby richyrich307 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:06 am

I am active duty and still pretty new to the area. Is there decent river hunting in the central to northern half of the state or is big water the only places to hunt when the ice hits? I would like to hit a field or two up but like I said I am new to the area and do not know anybody to even ask for permisson. I have family coming from Wyoming for the holidays and would like a place to be able to take them for a hunt or two but with the ice im not too sure about were to go. Not trying to internet scout or steal someones spot just looking for basic areas or ideas.
richyrich307
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:17 am

richyrich307 wrote:I am active duty and still pretty new to the area. Is there decent river hunting in the central to northern half of the state or is big water the only places to hunt when the ice hits? I would like to hit a field or two up but like I said I am new to the area and do not know anybody to even ask for permisson. I have family coming from Wyoming for the holidays and would like a place to be able to take them for a hunt or two but with the ice im not too sure about were to go. Not trying to internet scout or steal someones spot just looking for basic areas or ideas.

I'd find out where you want to hunt and see how deep the river is. If it's too deep, like most of the rivers up here in the north, then you might need a dog. Right now though, a lot of us trappers have foot traps set for coons, beaver, and fox. And kill traps set for beavers that will kill a dog. If you do head to the rivers, use caution. Most of the farmers here won't let hunters on the land for this reason. They want us trapping it and don't want any scuffles like there has been in the past. I've hadf luck going to the WMA's and scouting for open water. Try that.
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby richyrich307 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:24 am

Yea I do have a dog and that would be the last thing I would want to happen. Thanks for the info. I will continue to search the wma's
richyrich307
hunter

Return to Utah Duck Hunting