FIELD HUNT

This is the Utah duck hunting forum where you are invited to communicate with other hunters like yourself.

Moderator: Spiraleyes

FIELD HUNT

Postby Duckassassin001! » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:53 am

When is better to hit a field befor a storm during or after when its cold need help here have a field bout 30 miles away that i can hunt but dont have time to scout it cus of work load when would you guys say would be the best time to try and hit this field in your experience its only bout 300 yards from a huge resivior so it sould get hit by ducks at night just dont know when befor during or after a front
Full time Hunter Part time Worker
Duckassassin001!
hunter

FIELD HUNT

Postby hamernhonkers » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:10 pm

Sorry man but you need to scout it no matter what the weather is like.

If there are birds using it then game on but if you are trying to run traffic on it you better have a huge spread and some luck on your side.

Live from somewhere beneath the desert and brought to you via Tapatalk
Hello

David wrote:
I have suspended the suspension on the suspended, allowing the suspended to post in a non-suspending manner.
hamernhonkers
hunter

Re: FIELD HUNT

Postby richyrich307 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:33 pm

Tell me where it is and I will scout it for you :biggrin:
richyrich307
hunter

Postby All Ducked Up » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:24 pm

I have some deeks and a mojo, and a shotgun...and a truck ......and an urge to hunt...............Just sayin :thumbsup:
_______________________________________________________________________________________

Hunting isn't just something I do, It's a part of who I am.
All Ducked Up
hunter

Postby Factor 8 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:30 pm

hamernhonkers wrote:Sorry man but you need to scout it no matter what the weather is like.

If there are birds using it then game on but if you are trying to run traffic on it you better have a huge spread and some luck on your side.

This^^^^^
Factor 8
hunter

Postby slcduckkilla » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:36 pm

Duckassassin001! wrote:When is better to hit a field befor a storm during or after when its cold need help here have a field bout 30 miles away that i can hunt but dont have time to scout it cus of work load when would you guys say would be the best time to try and hit this field in your experience its only bout 300 yards from a huge resivior so it sould get hit by ducks at night just dont know when befor during or after a front

If you don't have time to scout fielding hunting will be a bust. The keys to field hunting is scouting. Look at this way if you are going to a Mcdonald's and you know right where it is are you going to park 400 yards away from the entrance? If the birds arent using the field they are not going to come to the best decoys or the best caller. I have personally learned this the hard way. Mallards and Pintails will often feed twice a day in the same field morning and evening. Geese will behave in the same manner depending on weather. Often they will feed heavy before the storm and feed heavy the day after. If the storm is to rough they will stay on their roost through the entire storm. Field hunting is a blast and the best type of waterfowl hunting.

Rule of thumb. Watch birds use a field for 2 or 3 days and hunt them on the 3rd or 4th day. Get on the 'X'....
slcduckkilla
hunter

Postby loondog » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:37 am

slcduckkilla wrote:
Duckassassin001! wrote:When is better to hit a field befor a storm during or after when its cold need help here have a field bout 30 miles away that i can hunt but dont have time to scout it cus of work load when would you guys say would be the best time to try and hit this field in your experience its only bout 300 yards from a huge resivior so it sould get hit by ducks at night just dont know when befor during or after a front

If you don't have time to scout fielding hunting will be a bust. The keys to field hunting is scouting. Look at this way if you are going to a Mcdonald's and you know right where it is are you going to park 400 yards away from the entrance? If the birds arent using the field they are not going to come to the best decoys or the best caller. I have personally learned this the hard way. Mallards and Pintails will often feed twice a day in the same field morning and evening. Geese will behave in the same manner depending on weather. Often they will feed heavy before the storm and feed heavy the day after. If the storm is to rough they will stay on their roost through the entire storm. Field hunting is a blast and the best type of waterfowl hunting.

Rule of thumb. Watch birds use a field for 2 or 3 days and hunt them on the 3rd or 4th day. Get on the 'X'....

Generally what are the best times to scout field then? If they feed twice a day is that a morning and afternoon feed?
loondog
hunter

Postby Factor 8 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:11 am

loondog wrote:
Generally what are the best times to scout field then? If they feed twice a day is that a morning and afternoon feed?

Start with mornings and evenings. Then start watching for bird movement. At that point you start putting it together. I have had fields in the past that nothing happened until 1:00. Then the birds moved for about 2 hours and it was over. So if I only looked at it in the morning or evening I never would have known the birds were hitting it. Had that happen numerous times with different fields.

Went to pick my young daughter up from dance. On the way there I noticed large flocks of mallards high up in the sky. Hurried and picked up the kid and started chasing birds. Followed them to a field that I had permission to hunt. Came back the next evening and had a great shoot. Then the field was plowed under. So sometimes it comes together like that! Its a huge bonus when you live in the area you hunt. If you don't or can't scout your field, find a local who can watch it. Then take them with you when you go and hunt it for them helping you. Currently that's what I'm doing now for a kid who lives 30+ miles away from his corn field. I scout it constantly. Each time we have hunted it it's been lights out. I'm texting him daily with the report and then we put a plan together. Works out great!!! :thumbsup:

I also get a few phone calls from friends when they see geese in one of the fields I control. So sometimes it's done for you. Works great that way as well.
Factor 8
hunter

Postby Factor 8 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:24 am

Duckassassin001! wrote:this field in your experience its only bout 300 yards from a huge resivior so it sould get hit by ducks at night

Not always the case. I could show you a corn field that is within a half a mile from a WMA that I'm yet to see a bird on it. I have a field not far from it that I watch constantly (killed plenty of geese and ducks off it this year). So making assumptions can leave you very frustrated!!! Know that the birds are using it, then go shoot it up!!!

Like hamer said, if you know your going to try and traffic birds, then set up to play it that way and hope for the best! Done that many times and sometimes you win, but most the time you loose.
Factor 8
hunter

Postby slcduckkilla » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:33 am

loondog wrote:
slcduckkilla wrote:

I scout mornings and evenings. I always like to scout the night before a morning shoot, the birds will more than likely return to the spot they feed in the evening. If the birds are feeding once a day morning is the best time to scout. If I see birds in a field the night before that is the spot I will hunt the prior morning. be careful not to bump the birds if you bump them and they leave the field you have more than likely just wasted all of your effort scouting. A good pair of binoculars is priceless to a waterfowl hunter and they are invaluable in a field hunting situation. I like to make a mental note of how the birds are set up in the field for the next mornings hunt. They may be in a large group or broken into small family sized groups. Remember in fields birds almost always feed into the wind. The more accurate you are with your set up the more you can predict the pocket or hole you want to shoot them in. Nothing better than landing a big group of honkers right in the hole.....
slcduckkilla
hunter

Postby Duckassassin001! » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:28 am

Thanks for the input guys iv got some time off here in the next few days so ill get to scouting and get this done right as you all sugested and hopfully have some pics when all said and done to post on here

Thanks again
Duckassassin001!
hunter

Postby slcduckkilla » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:34 am

Duckassassin001! wrote:Thanks for the input guys iv got some time off here in the next few days so ill get to scouting and get this done right as you all sugested and hopfully have some pics when all said and done to post on here

Thanks again

If you need some decoys hit me up... I can hunt with ya or loan you a trailer full of full body honkers and have about three dozen GHG field mallards Happy hunting
slcduckkilla
hunter

Postby Duckassassin001! » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:50 am

that would work out if you wanted to drive to vernal to hunt with me ha ha long ways bud plus i got tons of deeks just need the fields i have to get hot so i can use em.
Duckassassin001!
hunter

Postby slcduckkilla » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:56 pm

Duckassassin001! wrote:that would work out if you wanted to drive to vernal to hunt with me ha ha long ways bud plus i got tons of deeks just need the fields i have to get hot so i can use em.

Ya verenal isn't around the corner but chased honkers to North Dakota this year then chased them across what seemed to be the entire state. Good luck man let us know how you do.......
slcduckkilla
hunter

Return to Utah Duck Hunting