River Hunting

This is the Utah duck hunting forum where you are invited to communicate with other hunters like yourself.

Moderator: Spiraleyes

River Hunting

Postby All Ducked Up » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:43 pm

:help:
I have never been hunting on the rivers or talked to anyone that has, thinking about trying to jump shoot some, I can't find anything on what rivers you can and can't hunt, any help would be appreciated. :thumbsup:
_______________________________________________________________________________________

Hunting isn't just something I do, It's a part of who I am.

2013 - 2014 count

6 Mallards
6 Pins
4 Gads
10 GW Teal
7 Cinn Teal
1 Wigeon
and
2 Shovies :(
All Ducked Up
hunter

Re: River Hunting

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:33 pm

I'll share a little advice. Rivers around my town are surrounded by farmers' property. These farmers lease out to other hunters and don't like it when outsiders show up. Also, it's trapping season so watch out for beaver, fox, coon, and muskrat traps. Seems like every 3 years we catch someone's dog. Don't tresspass because no duck or goose is worth your dog or a fine.
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby Saw_bill_slayer » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:21 pm

Back in the days of the drought we hunted the river in Duchesne on the Indian reservation. A bit expensive but since their was no marshes at Utah Lake we had to go else where. Looks like if we don't get weather will be like that again next year. We would actually set up about six to eight decoys and shoot tons of ducks. It was a blast. Before we tried to hunt the reservation we tried the public walk in areas after a while it got to crowded. That is why we went to the reservation. Back when we hunted it it was $65 for a license and stamp. I don't know how much it is now but was worth it. I would fill limits more often than not. Now we have a good boat and water in Goshen Bay so I haven't been up for a while.
I believe in the three F's... Feather, Fur, and Fin.
Saw_bill_slayer
hunter

Postby duckslayer74 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:29 pm

JuniorPre 360 wrote:I'll share a little advice. Rivers around my town are surrounded by farmers' property. These farmers lease out to other hunters and don't like it when outsiders show up. Also, it's trapping season so watch out for beaver, fox, coon, and muskrat traps. Seems like every 3 years we catch someone's dog. Don't tresspass because no duck or goose is worth your dog or a fine.

I ran into a trap line last week driving down the road, what caught my eye was a big drake Mallard caught in one. I pulled over and walked over to the drake and pulled the trap out and released the ducks foot. luckily its foot was caught right behind the toes so it should recover if it doesn't get shot. The traps had no tags or name on them either, hope they don't catch someone's dog. I did spring all the traps so hopefully they'll put them in a better spot. The ditch is just a drain ditch that leads to the GSL and is not private.
Winchester SX2 12ga, SX3 20ga, Kicks Highflyer and Terror chokes.
duckslayer74
hunter

Postby Wack em', stack em', pack em' » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:36 pm

If you are looking for the tag number of the trap line it should be in a 10ft vicinity, according to the rules.
Wack em', stack em', pack em'
hunter

Postby duckslayer74 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:02 am

Nothing around at all. Every trap must be marked with ID number legibly before use in the field. That's right out of the fur bearers proclamation.
duckslayer74
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:00 am

duckslayer74 wrote:Nothing around at all. Every trap must be marked with ID number legibly before use in the field. That's right out of the fur bearers proclamation.

I do believe you are right. But if the trap is legally set, then it should never be tampered with. "It could lead to criminal charges." I've had a few of mine stolen and shot and even moved. It's no fun when you're doing this to make a little extra money.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby jake001 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:04 am

This is one avenue I wanna look into ducky. Gonna get with blm or game warden, not quite sure who exactly, when I get home and c what is open for hunting on the rivers, and then what kinda access is needed.
jake001
hunter

Postby Duckassassin001! » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:00 pm

rivers are great fun to hunt but make sure you stay below the high water mark or your tresspassing we hunt the green over here in vernal and it produces more often then not but be really wary or bad things happen the green is full of sand bars you wont see till your in the middle of one and stuck also eats props but great for goose hunting as they loaf on it all day when not feeding. a good boat is invaluable on these type rivers made for rivers not the old v haul would not set foot in a v on the green :fingerpt:
Full time Hunter Part time Worker
Duckassassin001!
hunter

Postby Kevin N » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:25 pm

Rivers, or at least the boatable ones demand a certain respect for moving water and ice.. they can get you into the hurts really quick. I know a few people that have made a poor choice and almost didnt have a good outcome from it.. know where you are at where you are going and respect the privet ground.. A good boat is a must on navigable waters.. kind of hard to retrieve birds in the flow and cripples when its deep water.
Kevin N
hunter

Postby skybuster3000 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:22 am

River Hunting is nice and easy. Lots of duck come to the open water, and get into the geese as well sometimes. Weber River has been a good spot, and also the ogden up by morgan produces lots of mallards.
skybuster3000
Newb

Postby slcduckkilla » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:08 am

jake001 wrote:This is one avenue I wanna look into ducky. Gonna get with blm or game warden, not quite sure who exactly, when I get home and c what is open for hunting on the rivers, and then what kinda access is needed.

Upper Provo... Big ducks up there primarily Mallards. Worthless unless its snowing raining or blowing like hell. Primarily if its not there is a fly fisherman every ten feet. Hunted it a couple times last year. Never shot limits but always bagged 3 to 5 big gree tops. We found an eddy and set up. Didn't actually jump shoot it
slcduckkilla
hunter

Postby jake001 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:48 am

Thanks for the tips. Figured u could hunt ogden/weber river. Now its just finding out what stretches of em u can hunt and seeing if anything is flyin on it. Provo river is a little out of my reach to be able to actually scout it sadly. Nice to know though if I'm ever down that way. Anyone out there that likes to hunt the river wanna hit it up in a week or so. Teach this newbie about river hunting. Lol.
jake001
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:30 am

jake001 wrote:Thanks for the tips. Figured u could hunt ogden/weber river. Now its just finding out what stretches of em u can hunt and seeing if anything is flyin on it. Provo river is a little out of my reach to be able to actually scout it sadly. Nice to know though if I'm ever down that way. Anyone out there that likes to hunt the river wanna hit it up in a week or so. Teach this newbie about river hunting. Lol.

I can tell you that there are beaver kill traps and foot traps sat all over tbe Weber river. Make sure you have permission to walk the property beside the rivers and watch your step and dog's steps. There are a lot of trappers leasing property and we check these traps every day. I hate seeing dogs caught each year.
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby jake001 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:56 am

JuniorPre 360 wrote:
jake001 wrote:Thanks for the tips. Figured u could hunt ogden/weber river. Now its just finding out what stretches of em u can hunt and seeing if anything is flyin on it. Provo river is a little out of my reach to be able to actually scout it sadly. Nice to know though if I'm ever down that way. Anyone out there that likes to hunt the river wanna hit it up in a week or so. Teach this newbie about river hunting. Lol.

I can tell you that there are beaver kill traps and foot traps sat all over tbe Weber river. Make sure you have permission to walk the property beside the rivers and watch your step and dog's steps. There are a lot of trappers leasing property and we check these traps every day. I hate seeing dogs caught each year.

Thanks for the heads up. Don't have a dog. But I will be mindful, don't wanna interfere with anyone's gear or success. How do u go about finding out who owns a certain piece of land, and what's the best way to approach asking permission. Don't particularly know what's the best/ethical way. Don't think they would appreciate a stranger knocking on their door or calling them. I just don't wanna be a pest or annoy them. Thanks again for the input. Tryin to learn all I can, and the right way to go about it.
jake001
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:34 am

Where I am, it's all leased out to goose hunters and trappers. Most of the land to the one side of the river is owned and leased to a certain dairy farmer. And the other side is next to impossible to get permission. I tried last year, know the guy, and he got extremely defensive. My buddy hunts the ogden river and said he had no problems thus far.
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby one8sevenn » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:40 pm

skybuster3000 wrote:River Hunting is nice and easy. Lots of duck come to the open water, and get into the geese as well sometimes. Weber River has been a good spot, and also the ogden up by morgan produces lots of mallards.

Haha there are no ducks in Morgan. :biggrin: :oops: :wink:
Just scaring ducks with high velocity steel BB's
one8sevenn
hunter

Postby skybuster3000 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:29 pm

Maybe I just have been lucky up morgan way. My buddy floats the weber, we have had some good success with goldeneys, mallards, and some woodies the last couple years. Don't know who to ask about the river banks, but as long as you stay on the river you won't have to worry with the farmers. Not sure how many trappers run lines on the lower weber anymore they have never had issues with us. Maybe contact some of those bigger farms and ask them if you are worried.
skybuster3000
Newb

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:04 pm

Remember when everyone scouted and worked for places to hunt?
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby duckslayer74 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:11 pm

JuniorPre 360 wrote:Remember when everyone scouted and worked for places to hunt?

Yep, before Internet and cellphones. :no:
duckslayer74
hunter

Postby All Ducked Up » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:17 pm

Remember when sportsman would give advise for love of the sport? trade information and stories because that's what we live for? help those in need by not giving up trade secrets or honey holes but helping out when we could?

No, well that's to bad.
_______________________________________________________________________________________

Hunting isn't just something I do, It's a part of who I am.

2013 - 2014 count

6 Mallards
6 Pins
4 Gads
10 GW Teal
7 Cinn Teal
1 Wigeon
and
2 Shovies :(
All Ducked Up
hunter

Postby skybuster3000 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:02 am

[quote][/quote]"Thanks for the tips. Figured u could hunt ogden/weber river. Now its just finding out what stretches of em u can hunt and seeing if anything is flyin on it."

Looks like scouting and researching had already been done. I hope I didn't ruin anyones honey hole, I was unaware that the ogden and weber river (public hunting areas) were secret hunting holes. I am pretty sure though that every hunter and non hunter know that when the ice hits, there are only a few spots left to hunt ( moving water)
skybuster3000
Newb

Postby jake001 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:20 am

Damn, all I was doin was asking for advice on who may own a piece and land and the best way to find that out. Maybe how u would or would like to be approached in asking if I/ you could hunt it. Not where do u hunt. I didn't have my dads laundry list of hot spots and land owners. Doin it on my own. Just looking for advice. You wish to not share, that's fine, but don't bash me for trying to not be one of those people you are constantly bitching about.
jake001
hunter

Postby slcduckkilla » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:05 am

jake001 wrote:Damn, all I was doin was asking for advice on who may own a piece and land and the best way to find that out. Maybe how u would or would like to be approached in asking if I/ you could hunt it. Not where do u hunt. I didn't have my dads laundry list of hot spots and land owners. Doin it on my own. Just looking for advice. You wish to not share, that's fine, but don't bash me for trying to not be one of those people you are constantly bitching about.

PM me
slcduckkilla
hunter

Postby richyrich307 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:51 am

Probably not the best time to ask but is there aan answer to the OP's question? I realize that if you are in a boat you can hunt the river with no issues since landowners own the bank and not the river bed itself. In WY all’s we have are sign postings but I figured since UT is a lot more up to date with their game and fish regulations I would ask. Couldn’t find anything on wildlife.ut though. Once again not trying to internet scout just dont want to break any rules by accidently hunting private property. I also do not want to waste my time by scouting private property. Im in the AF and the last thing I need is to get in trouble for trespassing. Any help would be much appreciated.
richyrich307
hunter

Next

Return to Utah Duck Hunting