River Hunting

This is the Utah duck hunting forum where you are invited to communicate with other hunters like yourself.

Moderator: Spiraleyes

Re: River Hunting

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:34 am

richyrich307 wrote:Probably not the best time to ask but is there aan answer to the OP's question? I realize that if you are in a boat you can hunt the river with no issues since landowners own the bank and not the river bed itself. In WY all’s we have are sign postings but I figured since UT is a lot more up to date with their game and fish regulations I would ask. Couldn’t find anything on wildlife.ut though. Once again not trying to internet scout just dont want to break any rules by accidently hunting private property. I also do not want to waste my time by scouting private property. Im in the AF and the last thing I need is to get in trouble for trespassing. Any help would be much appreciated.

]
This is a video of someone floating the river in Utah. The bad thing about floating the rivers is that during WW2, a lot of surplus boat mines, submarine mines, and IED's were dumped into the rivers here in Utah. A lot of times, inexperienced hunters will enter these rivers thinking all is fine and dandy. But in reality, they do not know the locations of these mines. Along these rivers, you'll notice old blown up cars, boats, and buses. This is the result of these explosives. Later on, the state of Utah decided to make WMA's for everyone to have a nice safe hunt. As you can see, this drew thousands of hunters to these areas to hunt and kill anything that moves. Although there are occasional scuffles and hunters getting peppered from other hunters, but these WMA's have made it safer for us hunters to enjoy the sport. Sometimes though, the surplus is picked up safely and sent to Smith and Edwards where they disarm them and sell them for a profit.
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby richyrich307 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:49 am

Thanks Junior. I will remember to were my flak vest and kevlar helmet when I hit the river. :no:
richyrich307
hunter

Postby mallardman3 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:42 am

New law says that land owners now own the land under the water. Unfortunate for us hunters, I would suggest that you do what I did, I went to huntinggpsmaps.com and bought the utah state land boundaries maps for my gps. It shows you all the private, blm, state, everything that is how I navigate what areas are legal. Also if the land is not agricultural (corn, wheat, produce,) it must be clearly posted like crazy, if the land is agricultural you have to have a written permission to even walk on it and they do not have to even post it. Hope this helps.
mallardman3
hunter

Postby killwoodies101 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:23 pm

Im new to this Forum stuff but have been hunting the lower weber river for years ... I love killing ducks on the river. well anyways I hope everybody knows the river is a great place to hunt after the bay freezes its the best for woodies ... good luck everbody
Attachments
wood ducks.jpg
wood ducks.jpg (46.24 KiB) Viewed 189 times
killwoodies101
hunter

Postby killwoodies101 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:34 am

JuniorPre 360 wrote:
richyrich307 wrote:Probably not the best time to ask but is there aan answer to the OP's question? I realize that if you are in a boat you can hunt the river with no issues since landowners own the bank and not the river bed itself. In WY all’s we have are sign postings but I figured since UT is a lot more up to date with their game and fish regulations I would ask. Couldn’t find anything on wildlife.ut though. Once again not trying to internet scout just dont want to break any rules by accidently hunting private property. I also do not want to waste my time by scouting private property. Im in the AF and the last thing I need is to get in trouble for trespassing. Any help would be much appreciated.

]
This is a video of someone floating the river in Utah. The bad thing about floating the rivers is that during WW2, a lot of surplus boat mines, submarine mines, and IED's were dumped into the rivers here in Utah. A lot of times, inexperienced hunters will enter these rivers thinking all is fine and dandy. But in reality, they do not know the locations of these mines. Along these rivers, you'll notice old blown up cars, boats, and buses. This is the result of these explosives. Later on, the state of Utah decided to make WMA's for everyone to have a nice safe hunt. As you can see, this drew thousands of hunters to these areas to hunt and kill anything that moves. Although there are occasional scuffles and hunters getting peppered from other hunters, but these WMA's have made it safer for us hunters to enjoy the sport. Sometimes though, the surplus is picked up safely and sent to Smith and Edwards where they disarm them and sell them for a profit.

I dont remember seeing any pine trees on the weber maybe we float in differnt area's?
killwoodies101
hunter

Previous

Return to Utah Duck Hunting