ETHICS....

This is the Utah duck hunting forum where you are invited to communicate with other hunters like yourself.

Moderator: Spiraleyes

ETHICS....

Postby slcduckkilla » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:13 pm

Have duck hunters completely lost all ethics in regards to respecting other hunters and safe hunting practices? It has seem to decline every year are there just more people battling for a spot or have hunters just irresponsible and ignorant? Farmington Bay seems to be leading the charge
slcduckkilla
hunter

Re: ETHICS....

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:27 pm

I hate to sound like a baby or complain, not that you are, but I really agree with you on this one. I've seen people shoot over their limits, chase and round up ducks in boats, people set up next to me, skybusters, internet scouters, follow me to a spot, come find me when I'm shooting ducks to hunt off my decoys, and plenty more. It has really gotten me down so much this year that I dread what I'll see everytime I'm out. It sickens me that I see something unethical EVERYTIME I've gone out this year.
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby Hagen » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:36 pm

Ill whine.... im with both of you i had a guy set . 20 yards from my deeks (Which took forever to have a four year old tell me how to set up) and when he "limited out" he made sure to show my 4 year old step son his 7 redheads i was astonished. And made sure to show my boy the rules its one thing to accidentally mess up but. To brag about it was nonsense everything at Farmington. Has. Gone to hell
Hagen
hunter

Postby Saw_bill_slayer » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:30 pm

I have been to Farmington Bay once. I have never been back for that exact reason. I usually confront people that get to close to me hunting. Usually under two hundred yards or so. I think some people out there are fair weather hunters that have never been taught proper ethics. I know I have harped on this before and I am doing it again if people would read their guide books we would have better hunters out their and read forums such as this one.
I believe in the three F's... Feather, Fur, and Fin.
Saw_bill_slayer
hunter

Postby elkohalic » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:37 pm

I will completely agree as well last time i went out to farmington i was on the dike that evening and it started to get crowded. I started having people get closer and closer to me till finally some bonehead had the nerve to come up to me and say hey can you scoot down i just got here.... I said you know what man you can have it i got up and left it ruined the day people have no respect for space. :mad:
The three precious metals that built america gold , silver and ...lead
elkohalic
hunter

Postby duckslayer74 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:16 pm

I'm with JR and duckkilla. Been bad this year, I think the Pintail club has been giving lessons on being unethical :lol3: .
Winchester SX2 12ga, SX3 20ga, Kicks Highflyer and Terror chokes.
duckslayer74
hunter

Postby Wack em', stack em', pack em' » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:33 pm

I have seen it too, skybusting etc, but it is my opinion too (regardless of the constant whine of not enough quality places to hunt) that people need to start scouting other areas.... everyone hunts the same WMAs.... of course you are going to see almost every card from the deck, the good and the bad; you are in the thick of all the hunters! I have found a couple spots this year that hardly ever get hunted, I look for areas away from the groups of people, I show up EARLY, ... I believe the key is stop going to where you know you will find those kind of people, scout out new areas.
Wack em', stack em', pack em'
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:03 am

The BRBR can be added to the list. I've only been to FB once for the fundraiser breakfast. There were a ton of people hunting that day.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby Factor 8 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:29 am

I haven't had one problem this year or last. Call that odd or not, but it's been great the past few years!!!
Factor 8
hunter

Postby kwalk3 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:53 am

Last week i woke up super early to make sure I could get to the spot I wanted to set up(on a wma but out in the marsh). I got my decoys set and everything ready an hour before shooting light and was patiently waiting til 7:09 when I could shoot. At 7:05 I hear some sloshing in the water behind me. I had a headlamp on so people could see where I was, this guy kept on coming til I stood up. He asked if there were a lot of guys out hunting with me, and said he would set up just off one point of my decoy spread. I looked at him and said "you COULD do that", implying I wasn't thrilled about the idea. He says it's okay I'll just hunt back here, proceeded to walk less than 30 yards away and blast away at anything that could possibly have come into my decoys. Best part was, that there was no one else within 1000 yards. People are awesome :huh: :fingerhead:
kwalk3
hunter

Postby slcduckkilla » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:47 am

Wack em', stack em', pack em' wrote:I have seen it too, skybusting etc, but it is my opinion too (regardless of the constant whine of not enough quality places to hunt) that people need to start scouting other areas.... everyone hunts the same WMAs.... of course you are going to see almost every card from the deck, the good and the bad; you are in the thick of all the hunters! I have found a couple spots this year that hardly ever get hunted, I look for areas away from the groups of people, I show up EARLY, ... I believe the key is stop going to where you know you will find those kind of people, scout out new areas.

Its not a matter of quality hunt spots. I have a ten mile agriculture lease here locally, buddies that are members of the private hunt clubs around farmington and hunt from SLC to NoDak every year. It is last week I scouted Farmington found a grip of teal working a hole and went to hunt it. We were about 10 birds into a two man limit when what I affectionately call two 'Junior Duck Commanders' show up with no decoys and a mallard call thats sounds like a raped ape and hide about a hundred yards from us and start shooting directly at my buddy and I. After being peppered with shot my instinct was to return fire instead I walked over and nicely told them 'To buy a f*&^%$& clue and beat it'. They put up a little resistance but realizing I was completely prepared to back up my claim they left. My point is we need to respect each other had someone beat me to this hole I would have found an alternative spot or not hunted at all. If someone is in spot at public access area move on find an alternative or don't hunt crowding someone is not SAFE or ETHICAL. There was a time this year I parked the boat and huffed about a mile into the marsh when I got there two guys were at my spot. They didn't have a dog and I asked if I could sit quietly and work my dog on their downed birds. They looked at me a little bewildered but they said sure I never loaded my gun and my dog grabbed 14 ducks for these guys made new friends and the guys shooting loved having a dog to snag their birds. Win win... Hunting isn't always about killing but the experience....
slcduckkilla
hunter

Postby Wack em', stack em', pack em' » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:18 am

I agree, hunting is about the experience, but I disagree about hunting spots. If you have so much land to hunt on, then hunt it! I personally hate hunting public WMAs, and I hardly ever do it. But, when I do, I come to grips with the reality of having a poor experience. When you get out there you have no control over where others set their decoys or set up shop, that is part of the hard bargain that a public area deals you, and you have to live with it. Back to my main point, hunt other areas if you don't want to be potentially bothered, and if you hunt public WMAs you better realize the potentiality of a knuckle head pissing you off. Getting peppered is one thing, but the proximity and where others shoot is totally out of your hands and there is nothing in the rule book about it. I guess you could have assaulted them with big boy tactics, but someday you will run into a more stout man and he will kick your ass. All in all, I have come to learn that in Utah you have to expect anything, and nothing is out of the ordinary here.
hunter

Postby slcduckkilla » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:32 am

Wack em', stack em', pack em' wrote:I agree, hunting is about the experience, but I disagree about hunting spots. If you have so much land to hunt on, then hunt it! I personally hate hunting public WMAs, and I hardly ever do it. But, when I do, I come to grips with the reality of having a poor experience. When you get out there you have no control over where others set their decoys or set up shop, that is part of the hard bargain that a public area deals you, and you have to live with it. Back to my main point, hunt other areas if you don't want to be potentially bothered, and if you hunt public WMAs you better realize the potentiality of a knuckle head pissing you off. Getting peppered is one thing, but the proximity and where others shoot is totally out of your hands and there is nothing in the rule book about it. I guess you could have assaulted them with big boy tactics, but someday you will run into a more stout man and he will kick your ass. All in all, I have come to learn that in Utah you have to expect anything, and nothing is out of the ordinary here.

I do hunt the land I have and hunt the private clubs. I am lucky enough to have a job where it allows me to hunt 3 to 5 days a week. With the odd weather we have a had only a few geese in our fields. Which we successfully harvested many local birds but the migration has not been productive in our fields. I also feel it is our job to police our selfs as hunters and try and maintain some semblance of structure. It is not in the rule book how or where to set up but it is a guideline to not shoot in the direction of other hunters and maintain safety. I never said I was going to kick their ass. Not that bright to have physical altercations with guns involved. My point was I was willing to stand in the middle of the hole making sure neither of us was to shoot another bird. Again where has the ethics gone if we all played by the same rule of respect, hunting success would go way up and stories to be shared amongst all of us. Let's face it waterfowlers are a strange breed most of us live eat and breathe this sport. Its an addiction worse than any. With the land I have I also take many people that don't have access to field hunting and share my property. I have extended many invitations on this board for a honker shoot and to even some employees at our local sporting good shops. I really do enjoy the hunt not the kill.... years back I wanted to fill a limit everyday, that was the goal kill, kill, kill, now its more about the experience and sharing it with other hunters or even working my dog....... Want to go kill some geese?
slcduckkilla
hunter

Postby Duckassassin001! » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:48 am

I have seen this through the years and i dont even hunt in a really populated place but i never fails that ill watch a field or spot on a lake or what have ya for a few days and sure enough when i get there and get everything looking like i want someone always shows up because the see me out there setting up and figure well thats the place to be i guess and sets up less then 50 yards away with old tattered deeks and no hide flaring and skybusting everything in site last year had a guy do it and we just said you know you should just come hunt with us ended up getting our limit and left him standing there with a long pack back to the truck with no birds as we took our 3 man limit and drove the boat back. young kidds these days need the most help with ethics i myself am young 24 and i would never dream of setting on someone else even if it was exactly where i needed to be give people room to hunt and work birds properly if they are working them you have no right to screw it up for them waterfowl are hard as is without you helping to educate every bird in the valley. :fingerpt: i dont pride myself on how far i can shoot but rather how close i can get the birds to look to land.
Full time Hunter Part time Worker
Duckassassin001!
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:49 am

SLC, did you end up getting your swan this year?
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby cootlover » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:03 pm

I got you all beat years ago I was goose hunting private land had all my decoys set up and this dip sh*t had permission to hunt the land to he came and set his decoys with mine with out even asking talk about balls :fingerpt:
cootlover
hunter

Postby Duckassassin001! » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:08 pm

had that happen too sucks dont it :mad:
Full time Hunter Part time Worker
Duckassassin001!
hunter

Postby duckslayer74 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:47 pm

cootlover wrote:I got you all beat years ago I was goose hunting private land had all my decoys set up and this dip sh*t had permission to hunt the land to he came and set his decoys with mine with out even asking talk about balls :fingerpt:

Probably a good thing I wasn't with you that time huh??? :lol3: :lol3:
Winchester SX2 12ga, SX3 20ga, Kicks Highflyer and Terror chokes.
duckslayer74
hunter

Postby slcduckkilla » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:50 pm

JuniorPre 360 wrote:SLC, did you end up getting your swan this year?

Nope didn't really give it a go. Sounds fun on paper but not sure if I will ever bag one...... I did shoot 3 drake wigeons, and. 4 hollywood mallards today. The highlight of the day was when my hunting partner and I were scrambling to get the boat out to go after a wounded goose and I ended up face first in the pond gun and all......
slcduckkilla
hunter

Postby Wack em', stack em', pack em' » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:59 pm

That is the worst! I fell once this year in a creek, put my hands out to catch myself and sunk my gun in mud and filled my waiters some. Did you get it? Great job today.
hunter

Postby cootlover » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:04 pm

SLC did you happen to get the face plant on video :biggrin:
cootlover
hunter

Postby slcduckkilla » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:09 pm

Wack em', stack em', pack em' wrote:That is the worst! I fell once this year in a creek, put my hands out to catch myself and sunk my gun in mud and filled my waiters some. Did you get it? Great job today.

No we gave it more than a college try and no avail. We weren't planning on geese and I was just shooting a mixed bag of shells between 2 3/4 inch and 3 inch 2 and. 3 shot. This pair must have been migrators. Didn't even have a goose decoy out they came into just a call. Hit it hard twice just not enough thump.I hate losing birds we but on a 800 yard boat chase and about a 400 dog ona blind and the bird just kept going. Frustrating to wound birds......
slcduckkilla
hunter

Postby slcduckkilla » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:15 pm

cootlover wrote:SLC did you happen to get the face plant on video :biggrin:

No I wish I did it was awesome didn't really even get my hands up to break my fall...... My hunting partner just shook his head and sped of in the boat after our downed goose. I don't think I will live this down for awhile
slcduckkilla
hunter

Postby slcduckkilla » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:19 pm

Do face plants in the pond make you elligible for a pro staff? Team rookie?
slcduckkilla
hunter

Postby Wack em', stack em', pack em' » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:25 pm

They make me eligible for a few justified chosen words, and a "go get em' next time" psychological pep-talk. I guess huntin' irrigation run out deltas are not my forte; the ground is definitely not flat!
hunter

Next

Return to Utah Duck Hunting