ETHICS....

This is the Utah duck hunting forum where you are invited to communicate with other hunters like yourself.

Moderator: Spiraleyes

Re: ETHICS....

Postby slcduckkilla » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:36 pm

Wack em', stack em', pack em' wrote:They make me eligible for a few justified chosen words, and a "go get em' next time" psychological pep-talk. I guess huntin' irrigation run out deltas are not my forte; the ground is definitely not flat!

Well I guess I will be going through the pep talk or waiting for it to freeze for my own safety. My digger was simply based on being clumsy. Well I guess I will try and redeem myself Sat......
slcduckkilla
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:51 pm

slcduckkilla wrote:
JuniorPre 360 wrote:SLC, did you end up getting your swan this year?

Nope didn't really give it a go. Sounds fun on paper but not sure if I will ever bag one...... I did shoot 3 drake wigeons, and. 4 hollywood mallards today. The highlight of the day was when my hunting partner and I were scrambling to get the boat out to go after a wounded goose and I ended up face first in the pond gun and all......

I wish I would have known. I never had a tag but we came within 20 feet of swan every time we went out. If you'd really like to get one, hit me up next year and I would love you have you in the group. I took a 12 year old kid out to get his and he had a blast. Hope you take me up on the offer. They are a bird you'll shoot and remember for the rest of your life.
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby Simple » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:32 pm

I saw a new way of duck hunting today that i thought was horrible. All of you guys ever heard of road hunting, well i saw two different boats doing this today. Just cruising the marsh and shooting ducks off the water as they found them. What the heck has it come to. It was super slow today where we were at but still if your that bored just go home.
Simple
hunter

Postby slcduckkilla » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:51 am

Simple wrote:I saw a new way of duck hunting today that i thought was horrible. All of you guys ever heard of road hunting, well i saw two different boats doing this today. Just cruising the marsh and shooting ducks off the water as they found them. What the heck has it come to. It was super slow today where we were at but still if your that bored just go home.
50 CFR 20.21(e), Utah
It is illegal

'Code § 23-20-3 and Utah Admin. Rule R657-9-10
You may use a boat or motorized aquatic vehicle to hunt waterfowl if you obey the follow- ing rules:
• Migratory game birds may not be taken from any motorboat, or craft that has a motor attached to it, unless the motor has
been completely shut off and the motorboat or craft has stopped moving.
• Migratory game birds may not be taken
from a sailboat unless the boat’s sails are
furled '
slcduckkilla
hunter

Postby duckslayer74 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:54 pm

Simple wrote:I saw a new way of duck hunting today that i thought was horrible. All of you guys ever heard of road hunting, well i saw two different boats doing this today. Just cruising the marsh and shooting ducks off the water as they found them. What the heck has it come to. It was super slow today where we were at but still if your that bored just go home.

Maybe they were shooting cripples?????? Yeah that's it.
Winchester SX2 12ga, SX3 20ga, Kicks Highflyer and Terror chokes.
duckslayer74
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:18 pm

What do you all think... Is internet scouting and helping internet scouting newbies ethical or fair for the rest of us?
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby duckslayer74 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:09 pm

JuniorPre 360 wrote:What do you all think... Is internet scouting and helping internet scouting newbies ethical or fair for the rest of us?

I learned by going out scouting and spending time in the field, when I was young there was no Internet to scout from. I'm not giving out much info to the newbies, they can learn like a lot of us did by actually going out and doing the work that's needed to be successful.
duckslayer74
hunter

Postby loondog » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:19 pm

JuniorPre 360 wrote:What do you all think... Is internet scouting and helping internet scouting newbies ethical or fair for the rest of us?

Junior,

Just curious about what you consider internet scouting? Is it looking up ANY information on the internet like using google earth or are you just refering to people who hang out and watch for hot spots based on reports?
loondog
hunter

Postby jake001 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:34 am

duckslayer74 wrote:

I learned by going out scouting and spending time in the field, when I was young there was no Internet to scout from. I'm not giving out much info to the newbies, they can learn like a lot of us did by actually going out and doing the work that's needed to be successful.

Ya I'm sure you two never had anybody giving you advice on hunting. You were born with the knowledge of two centuries worth of duck hunters. Nobody ever said hey talk to this guy, or here's a map of what's public and private. No direction at all.
jake001
hunter

Postby duckslayer74 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:34 am

jake001 wrote:
duckslayer74 wrote:

Ya I'm sure you two never had anybody giving you advice on hunting. You were born with the knowledge of two centuries worth of duck hunters. Nobody ever said hey talk to this guy, or here's a map of what's public and private. No direction at all.

I learned from my dad and neighbor was I was young and then when I was old enough to drive I did my own scouting. I never said I have "two centuries" of knowledge, I learn more and more every year. I also pass on what I've learned to my kids, nieces, nephews and friends, I'm just not going to do it on the Internet. There's way to many jr duck commanders anymore that need to learn by doing the footwork instead of coming here and scouting for the "hotspots".
duckslayer74
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:15 am

duckslayer74 wrote:
jake001 wrote:
duckslayer74 wrote:

I learned from my dad and neighbor was I was young and then when I was old enough to drive I did my own scouting. I never said I have "two centuries" of knowledge, I learn more and more every year. I also pass on what I've learned to my kids, nieces, nephews and friends, I'm just not going to do it on the Internet. There's way to many jr duck commanders anymore that need to learn by doing the footwork instead of coming here and scouting for the "hotspots".

This about sums it up. I've seen more "I'm new. Where do I hunt?" posts and new people out in my spots, some leased, more than ever in my life before. I hate it when someone asks where to kill ducks.
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby slcduckkilla » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:02 am

JuniorPre 360 wrote:
duckslayer74 wrote:
jake001 wrote:
duckslayer74 wrote:

This about sums it up. I've seen more "I'm new. Where do I hunt?" posts and new people out in my spots, some leased, more than ever in my life before. I hate it when someone asks where to kill ducks.

Agreed. Scouting is the most important part of Waterfowling and difficult to share a honey hole or hot spot over the internet. I have had many hot spots in my life and more and more they are shot out. I remember when I was a kid I was able to drive down to the Jordan River and be able to shoot ducks within 15 minutes from my house the days of easy hunting are over. It was never more apparent how important putting miles on your vehicle and a good pair of binoculars is then this year when we traveled to North Dakota. We drove for hours every day just to find geese and mallards working potholes or fields. We would hunt the morning and scout the rest of the day for the next mornings hunt. If we were lucky enough to stumble on a hole while driving we may shoot the evening. This was a tremendous amount of work and effort but it paid off and we had some amazing shoots on Honkers, Snow Geese, Specks and Mallards. I have a network of good friends from Idaho to North Dakota and use these as well as my truck to find the birds. Often times the birds may a be a state or two away and you've got to travel and do the work. Make relationships with other passionate knowledgable waterfowlers and keep your spots between each other. I have showed my spots to a couple guys on the internet only to find them shooting the spots consistently.. So never again
slcduckkilla
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:14 am

loondog wrote:

Junior,

Just curious about what you consider internet scouting? Is it looking up ANY information on the internet like using google earth or are you just refering to people who hang out and watch for hot spots based on reports?

So me and my friend went up to farmington bay yesterday to check it out. We were so lost on where to hunt if you walked in. Can anyone enlighten me on how and where to hunt there if you're walking in?

Here's an example
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby kwalk3 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:45 pm

I agree that everyone should get out and do their own scouting and find their own spots(that's one of my favorite parts of hunting....scouting), but that also doesn't deter me from pointing someone in the right direction on a public marsh. Sooner or later the work has to be done to find the birds, there are so many variables to whether there will be ducks in a given spot, and I don't fault anyone for asking an honest question. I don't give them gps coordinates, but rather suggest well know general areas that they might be able to have some success in if they are willing to put forth the effort.
kwalk3
hunter

Postby loondog » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:08 pm

JuniorPre 360 wrote:
loondog wrote:

Junior,

So me and my friend went up to farmington bay yesterday to check it out. We were so lost on where to hunt if you walked in. Can anyone enlighten me on how and where to hunt there if you're walking in?

Here's an example

Gotcha. Understand that completely.
loondog
hunter

Postby cootlover » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:50 pm

Jr can you give me G.P.S info to where you hunt pretty please love coot :biggrin:
cootlover
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:54 am

cootlover wrote:Jr can you give me G.P.S info to where you hunt pretty please love coot :biggrin:

N 40° 45.050 W 111° 48.844
Just because you asked nicely. I've killed a few rare ducks including Mandarins and a few Brants as well. Lots of deer too.
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Previous

Return to Utah Duck Hunting