Skybusting?

This is the Utah duck hunting forum where you are invited to communicate with other hunters like yourself.

Moderator: Spiraleyes

Skybusting?

Postby slcduckkilla » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:07 pm

Just as a topic of conversation as it seems many talk about 'sky busting', what would you define it as? Maybe a definition on this board would help people understand.....
slcduckkilla
hunter

Skybusting?

Postby hamernhonkers » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:15 pm

Shooting at birds beyond the ability of ones load/choke/pattern and shooting abilities.

This is a dangerous topic in the fact that everyone has there own opinion on how to hunt and what their abilities are.

I can pass shoot geese and kill birds after bird at 60 yards with a very low shell to bird ratio but the next guy can't hit a duck at 20 yards over decoys to save his azz. Who is the skybuster???

Live from somewhere beneath the desert and brought to you via Tapatalk
Hello

David wrote:
I have suspended the suspension on the suspended, allowing the suspended to post in a non-suspending manner.
hamernhonkers
hunter

Re: Skybusting?

Postby slcduckkilla » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:44 pm

hamernhonkers wrote:Shooting at birds beyond the ability of ones load/choke/pattern and shooting abilities.

This is a dangerous topic in the fact that everyone has there own opinion on how to hunt and what their abilities are.

I can pass shoot geese and kill birds after bird at 60 yards with a very low shell to bird ratio but the next guy can't hit a duck at 20 yards over decoys to save his azz. Who is the skybuster???

I agree that shooting is a direct correlation of ability choke and load. Part of the problem is determining how consistent a factory load will be. I do not reload and always hope for the best performance on factory loads. That being said I have a friend that works for a large ammunition company and explained to me how the velocity markings on a box of shells works in the factory means. That being said I would rarely shoot a goose or duck at 60 yards unless it had been shot at or was leaving my decoys. Just a preference
of mine not to say it is an unrealistic shot or 'sky busting'..... shooting a duck or goose skirting your decoys at 60 yards is different then trying to lay lumber on a bird flying full bore 60 yards up and 20 yards out moving at full speed.... Just maybe a guideline or definition may help people understand.
slcduckkilla
hunter

Postby cootlover » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:57 pm

I think most people couldn't hit a clay target at 50+ yards let alone a bird. I think sky busting isn't hurting the birds because most people miss flat out just making them decoy shy .
cootlover
hunter

Postby hamernhonkers » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:27 pm

Part of the problem is determining how consistent a factory load will be. I do not reload and always hope for the best performance on factory loads.

Factory loads now days with the close tolerances they have are very consistent and perform very well. If a man spends the time with his gun/choke/load they can find a very good combination for the range they can shoot to.

Just maybe a guideline or definition may help people understand

I understand where you are coming from. That is why I stated in my first post “Shooting at birds beyond the ability of one’s load/choke/pattern and shooting abilities”
It is the best way I know to state what skybusting is that I know of. Now for what range is too far to shoot over decoy’s or jumpshooting or passhooting???? This where the water gets murky because it boils down to personal feelings on what is right or wrong or personal ethics……. Just because one guy thinks a bird should only be shot once its feet are down and its hovering over the blocks at 15 yards does not make it the right way. That is what get us all into hating others is we try to push our beliefs of what is right onto others who have a different opinion.

I think the one thing we can all agree on is that we see way to many people in the marsh, on the lakes or along the rivers who do not take the time to learn their gun/choke/load and shooting abilities and just go out and cut loose at whatever is flying. If they would just take the time to learn those things above along with spending plenty of time at the range working on their shooting abilities and learning distances we all along with the birds would be better off :thumbsup: :beer:
Hello

David wrote:
I have suspended the suspension on the suspended, allowing the suspended to post in a non-suspending manner.
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby duckslayer74 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:13 pm

cootlover wrote:I think most people couldn't hit a clay target at 50+ yards let alone a bird. I think sky busting isn't hurting the birds because most people miss flat out just making them decoy shy .

X2^^^^^^ Maybe ad dike shy too.
Winchester SX2 12ga, SX3 20ga, Kicks Highflyer and Terror chokes.
duckslayer74
hunter

Postby slcduckkilla » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:29 pm

hamernhonkers wrote:
Part of the problem is determining how consistent a factory load will be. I do not reload and always hope for the best performance on factory loads.

Factory loads now days with the close tolerances they have are very consistent and perform very well. If a man spends the time with his gun/choke/load they can find a very good combination for the range they can shoot to.

Just maybe a guideline or definition may help people understand

I understand where you are coming from. That is why I stated in my first post “Shooting at birds beyond the ability of one’s load/choke/pattern and shooting abilities”
It is the best way I know to state what skybusting is that I know of. Now for what range is too far to shoot over decoy’s or jumpshooting or passhooting???? This where the water gets murky because it boils down to personal feelings on what is right or wrong or personal ethics……. Just because one guy thinks a bird should only be shot once its feet are down and its hovering over the blocks at 15 yards does not make it the right way. That is what get us all into hating others is we try to push our beliefs of what is right onto others who have a different opinion.

I think the one thing we can all agree on is that we see way to many people in the marsh, on the lakes or along the rivers who do not take the time to learn their gun/choke/load and shooting abilities and just go out and cut loose at whatever is flying. If they would just take the time to learn those things above along with spending plenty of time at the range working on their shooting abilities and learning distances we all along with the birds would be better off :thumbsup: :beer:

Factory tolerance is such that 1550 ft per second means that most shells will shoot at about 1550 feet per second. I personally shoot slower loads at 1400 feet per seconds as they pattern better and tend to have better results with these shells. The cheaper the load the less consistent they will be at speed out of the barrel.

I typically will shoot birds in my decoys between 15 and 35 yards. Having a high quality and productive goose lease I will lose my mind if some bust birds at 60 yards. I have killed birds at long distances even took them took th time to pace off a goose I dropped leaving my decoys at 75 yards. I spend as much time as the next guy behind my shotgun I belive in practice and do it at least a few times a week during the spring and summer months. Maybe once a month during hunting season.
I guess my opion on busting birds would be shooting longer than average shots on more than one bird. Killing one out of sixx is a free decoy education for 5 birds.
slcduckkilla
hunter

Postby slcduckkilla » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:32 pm

Sorry so jumbled hard to reply on the forum with my phone
slcduckkilla
hunter

Postby skybusterbob » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:35 pm

Pass shooting is polite word for skybusting.
skybusterbob
hunter

Postby duckslayer74 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:10 pm

skybusterbob wrote:Pass shooting is polite word for skybusting.

Just because people don't shoot ducks over decoys doesn't mean it's skybusting. :no: :no:
duckslayer74
hunter

Postby cootlover » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:13 pm

"Sky busterbob Pass shooting is polite word for skybusting". not always I got some places you could shoot a limit pass shooting if you know how to shoot.
cootlover
hunter

Postby one8sevenn » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:48 pm

hamernhonkers wrote:Shooting at birds beyond the ability of ones load/choke/pattern and shooting abilities.

I'm the next guy. I think I may have more luck throwing rocks at the ducks twenty yards and closer.
Just scaring ducks with high velocity steel BB's
one8sevenn
hunter

Postby hamernhonkers » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:45 pm

skybusterbob wrote:Pass shooting is polite word for skybusting.

For some it is, for others it's the only option in cretin places, times, and situations.

For you guys up on the large expanses of Marsh along the GSL, you have your weekend bubbas who hang on the dikes and pass shoot birds well beyond the limits of them and their equipment. For others it may be the only way to kill geese coming off a private pond and going out into private land where they cannot get permission. But according to you, if they get under the flight path of the geese where they have permission to be and kill them, and then even if they keep their shots to 40 yards and under they are skybusters :rolleyes:

This is why this is always such a joke to discuss. Everyone has their way to hunt and for many their way is the only right way and if anyone else does something different then they are skybusters, or azzholes or blah, blah, blah. It’s too bad that some don’t get the opportunity to hunt with other methods and appreciate each one for what it is.
Hello

David wrote:
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby hamernhonkers » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:54 pm

slcduckkilla wrote:I personally shoot slower loads at 1400 feet per seconds as they pattern better and tend to have better results with these shells.

Nothing wrong with the slower loads and you are defiantly correct that overall they tend to lot easier to get to pattern well.

I guess my opion on busting birds would be shooting longer than average shots on more than one bird. Killing one out of sixx is a free decoy education for 5 birds.

I understand your train of thought :thumbsup:
Hello

David wrote:
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby hamernhonkers » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:57 pm

one8sevenn wrote:
I'm the next guy. I think I may have more luck throwing rocks at the ducks twenty yards and closer.

I have had more then my fair share of those days over the blocks also :crying:
Hello

David wrote:
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby duckslayer74 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:16 pm

hamernhonkers wrote:
one8sevenn wrote:

I have had more then my fair share of those days over the blocks also :crying:

X2^^^^^^^^^ More than I'd like to admit :no: .
duckslayer74
hunter

Postby Locked&Loaded » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:42 pm

duckslayer74 wrote:
cootlover wrote:I think most people couldn't hit a clay target at 50+ yards let alone a bird. I think sky busting isn't hurting the birds because most people miss flat out just making them decoy shy .

Skybusting makes ducks afraid of lesbians?? :huh:
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby Factor 8 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:53 pm

The way i see it is sky busting is just an unintended consequence of waterfowl hunting. Some folks just cant refrain from pulling the trigger. birds out of range of either the shotguns ability or the hunters ability.

I have a good friend who i archery hunt with. The guys is really good with a bow and can hit anything at any yardage. seen him take elk in some amazing shots. however, you put a shotgun in his hands with waterfowl in the air and its a different story. He has this way about him that you have to pull the trigger to get the bird. So he does, birds come over us that are not committed and he cant resist. He always makes comment that it takes just one BB to bring the bird down. We've all seen it, we've all been there, and from time to time... we've all done it!
Factor 8
hunter

Postby hamernhonkers » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:19 pm

Locked&Loaded wrote:
duckslayer74 wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Hello

David wrote:
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby hamernhonkers » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:20 pm

Factor 8 wrote: we've all done it!

Ain't that the truth!!!
Hello

David wrote:
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby cootlover » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:21 pm

I would never shoot pass 30 yards :yes:
cootlover
hunter

Postby duckslayer74 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:50 pm

Locked&Loaded wrote:
duckslayer74 wrote:

That would be "dyke" shy wouldn't it???? :beer:
duckslayer74
hunter

Postby Locked&Loaded » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:56 am

duckslayer74 wrote:
Locked&Loaded wrote:
duckslayer74 wrote:

That would be "dyke" shy wouldn't it???? :beer:

:lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:
I believe you are correct sir.

Examples of proper use of the terms:
1. Today while hunting the DIKE at farmington bay, I skybusted often, therefore making the ducks DIKE shy.
2. Today while hunting the DIKE at farmington bay, I spoke to a rather large women with a very deep voice. She was wearing a black leather vest, sportin a short, buzzed haircut and carrying a shotgun. I assumed she was a DYKE hunting the DIKE. She was, however, not skybusting and therefore not contributing to ducks being DIKE shy. :beer:
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby richyrich307 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:50 am

This should be your signature.

"Examples of proper use of the terms:
1. Today while hunting the DIKE at farmington bay, I skybusted often, therefore making the ducks DIKE shy.
2. Today while hunting the DIKE at farmington bay, I spoke to a rather large women with a very deep voice. She was wearing a black leather vest, sportin a short, buzzed haircut and carrying a shotgun. I assumed she was a DYKE hunting the DIKE. She was, however, not skybusting and therefore not contributing to ducks being DIKE shy. :beer:[/quote]"
richyrich307
hunter

Postby slcduckkilla » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:03 am

richyrich307 wrote:This should be your signature.

"Examples of proper use of the terms:
2. Today while hunting the DIKE at farmington bay, I spoke to a rather large women with a very deep voice. She was wearing a black leather vest, sportin a short, buzzed haircut and carrying a shotgun. I assumed she was a DYKE hunting the DIKE. She was, however, not skybusting and therefore not contributing to ducks being DIKE shy. :beer:
"[/quote]
:lol3:
slcduckkilla
hunter

Next

Return to Utah Duck Hunting