Farmington bay

This is the Utah duck hunting forum where you are invited to communicate with other hunters like yourself.

Moderator: Spiraleyes

Farmington bay

Postby Duckcrazy90 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:51 am

So me and my friend went up to farmington bay yesterday to check it out. We were so lost on where to hunt if you walked in. Can anyone enlighten me on how and where to hunt there if you're walking in?
Duckcrazy90
Newb

Re: Farmington bay

Postby lonewolf7 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:37 pm

Look at the DNR's map at this link http://wildlife.utah.gov/dwr/hunting/hu ... rfowl.html
the center star with the three dikes jetting out from it is accessible by foot. Park there and then you can hike several miles in all directions. To get to the main road take Glovers ln to 1325 W and then drive all the way back until you are at the parking lot/dead end.
lonewolf7
Newb

Postby Duckcrazy90 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:42 pm

But do you just hunt off the dikes if you don't have a boat? The water seemed too deep to wade in most places.
Last edited by Duckcrazy90 on Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Duckcrazy90
Newb

Postby lonewolf7 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:44 pm

You can hunt off dikes or set up in the marshes. I think I am going to give that a try this afternoon.
lonewolf7
Newb

Postby Duckcrazy90 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:53 pm

That's what I thought that the only place walkable was the dikes or the marshes near the north end. Thanks for your help!
Duckcrazy90
Newb

Postby CAM_C » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:58 pm

Duckcrazy90 wrote:That's what I thought that the only place walkable was the dikes or the marshes near the north end. Thanks for your help!

Thats not right! you can walk lots of places they even have bridges for walkers to get across the deeper boat channels.
They have walk in only places way south, and motorless places, you can walk most places that boats go just not in the channel by the dike, because they dreg them to make the dike!
Its not easy walk in hunting but there are plenty of places, It takes some effert, a lot of effert! thats why people buy boats!
Also get a bike and ride 5 miles out on the dikes then walk into the marsh! shoot ducks and pedal back easy as that! LOL
CAM_C
hunter

Postby Duckcrazy90 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:22 pm

CAM_C wrote:
Duckcrazy90 wrote:That's what I thought that the only place walkable was the dikes or the marshes near the north end. Thanks for your help!

Thats not right! you can walk lots of places they even have bridges for walkers to get across the deeper boat channels.
They have walk in only places way south, and motorless places, you can walk most places that boats go just not in the channel by the dike, because they dreg them to make the dike!
Its not easy walk in hunting but there are plenty of places, It takes some effert, a lot of effert! thats why people buy boats!
Also get a bike and ride 5 miles out on the dikes then walk into the marsh! shoot ducks and pedal back easy as that! LOL

So the metal bridges are so you can walk out. Is it only deep underneath them? We saw a guy on a bike, thought it was a smart idea.
Duckcrazy90
Newb

Postby cootlover » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:32 pm

Ya the water isn't that deep in the turpin unit once you get off the bridge. like the guy said get a bike and walk one of the out flows when stuff freeze's up good luck and post pictures :thumbsup:
cootlover
hunter

Return to Utah Duck Hunting