Discouraged Newbie

This is the Utah duck hunting forum where you are invited to communicate with other hunters like yourself.

Moderator: Spiraleyes

Discouraged Newbie

Postby lonewolf7 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:56 am

This is my first season duck hunting and I have to say I am starting to get discouraged. I live very close to Farmington bay and typically go there once a week with no results. I hunt by myself because I work odd hours. I usually don’t bring decoys because I never notice anyone up there with them. I always see tons of boaters though, is this area really best for boaster? I am wondering if this a bad season because it has been so warm or am I just in the wrong place? Any advice for a newbie would be appreciated.
lonewolf7
Newb

Re: Discouraged Newbie

Postby Locked&Loaded » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:34 pm

lonewolf7 wrote:This is my first season duck hunting and I have to say I am starting to get discouraged. I live very close to Farmington bay and typically go there once a week with no results. I hunt by myself because I work odd hours. I usually don’t bring decoys because I never notice anyone up there with them. I always see tons of boaters though, is this area really best for boaster? I am wondering if this a bad season because it has been so warm or am I just in the wrong place? Any advice for a newbie would be appreciated.

You need to broaden your horizons a little bit and don't restrict yourself to only hunting one area or only one WMA. The next day you have planned to hunt, get out and put some miles on your truck and some miles on your boots and check out some of the other areas, such as, howard slough, ogden bay, harold crane, bear river bird refuge, salt creek, public, etc. Take your gun when you go out for a walk to explore new places, you may jump shoot a bird or two. Don't measure your fun by how many birds you kill or hunting somedays will be no fun at all. Sure I love to kill birds, but I love just being out in the marsh and enjoying the outdoors. If I kill a bird or a few, those are just bonuses. It does get frustrating however when you go multiple days in a row without killing a bird, so I understand that. Try to scout enough that you know where the birds want to be .... and know that where they want to be changes rapidly from day to day.

I scout more than I hunt and have learned that by doing so improves my hunting success a great deal.
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby kwalk3 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:34 pm

Farmington has been really productive for me this year. I usually don't go in a boat, but I also don't line up on the dike with everyone else. If you can get out and explore some of the marshy areas in your waders, and find open water for a few decoys, I think you will be happy with the result. Your shots will be better quality shots, and with decoys you are much more likely to have birds come towards you, than if you just do the same thing as everyone else and sit on the dike and pray they come over. I've done that kind of hunting many times, but this year have hunted almost exclusively over decoys and had a lot of success at Farmington.
kwalk3
hunter

Postby lonewolf7 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:42 pm

You need to broaden your horizons a little bit and don't restrict yourself to only hunting one area or only one WMA. The next day you have planned to hunt, get out and put some miles on your truck and some miles on your boots and check out some of the other areas, such as, howard slough, ogden bay, harold crane, bear river bird refuge, salt creek, public, etc. Take your gun when you go out for a walk to explore new places, you may jump shoot a bird or two. Don't measure your fun by how many birds you kill or hunting somedays will be no fun at all. Sure I love to kill birds, but I love just being out in the marsh and enjoying the outdoors. If I kill a bird or a few, those are just bonuses. It does get frustrating however when you go multiple days in a row without killing a bird, so I understand that. Try to scout enough that you know where the birds want to be .... and know that where they want to be changes rapidly from day to day.

I scout more than I hunt and have learned that by doing so improves my hunting success a great deal.[/quote]

Good advice I will start looking into these areas.
lonewolf7
Newb

Postby lonewolf7 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:45 pm

kwalk3 wrote:Farmington has been really productive for me this year. I usually don't go in a boat, but I also don't line up on the dike with everyone else. If you can get out and explore some of the marshy areas in your waders, and find open water for a few decoys, I think you will be happy with the result. Your shots will be better quality shots, and with decoys you are much more likely to have birds come towards you, than if you just do the same thing as everyone else and sit on the dike and pray they come over. I've done that kind of hunting many times, but this year have hunted almost exclusively over decoys and had a lot of success at Farmington.

I had fun yesterday stirring up some birds in the marshes. I might have to hike back there with some decoys and see what happens.
lonewolf7
Newb

Postby slcduckkilla » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:23 pm

lonewolf7 wrote:This is my first season duck hunting and I have to say I am starting to get discouraged. I live very close to Farmington bay and typically go there once a week with no results. I hunt by myself because I work odd hours. I usually don’t bring decoys because I never notice anyone up there with them. I always see tons of boaters though, is this area really best for boaster? I am wondering if this a bad season because it has been so warm or am I just in the wrong place? Any advice for a newbie would be appreciated.

Waterfowl hunting is an art and takes years to get to a level of understanding how birds work and what to look for and how to follow their patterns. Wind direction temperature and weather conditions will change everything for day to day. Don't give up hard work and perseverance will pay off. hunting is hunting study the species you are chasing and the results will be much better. PM me if you would like to hunt sometime.
slcduckkilla
hunter

Return to Utah Duck Hunting