Prefered Camo

This is the Utah duck hunting forum where you are invited to communicate with other hunters like yourself.

Moderator: Spiraleyes

Prefered Camo

Postby loondog » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:13 pm

I come from a bow hunting background into waterfowling. I always felt like most camo was too dark and sought out the lightest possible even for timber. Noticing the same thing in the marsh. Hunters seem to really stand out as the dark spot. Am I placing too much emphasis on camo for waterfowl or has anyone found lighter paterns that blend better? Seems max4 etc specifically for marshes are some of the darkest.

Of what I have seen out there I think I actually like the old school pattern the best. Thoughts?
loondog
hunter

Re: Prefered Camo

Postby Locked&Loaded » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:50 pm

I like max4 best, but I think most put way too much thought into their camo patterns and not enough emphasis on holding still in the blind. If you are wearing a natural color that somewhat blends in with the terrain you are hunting and you hold still as possible when birds are looking you over, you will be fine.
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby All Ducked Up » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:45 pm

I found that this approach works pretty good.

1) find your spot and set up your blind
2)take the vegitation from the front of your blind not to much to where it's to noticable
3) gather that vegitation and use big rubber bands and secure it to your body covering everything but your face
4) use the marsh muck and apply mass ammounts to your face (it dries and falls off sometimes)
5) Take a picture and send it to me

:biggrin: :biggrin:

Seriously though most of the max4 line is awesome and there is some great prices on jackets for the holidays, I got a killer deal last year on a two peice liner outer shell combo that has yet to make me think it wasn't enough on these cold days. i use to wear thicker green waders and have opted to wear long johns and sweats with my lighter colored fishing waders. I too thought Green? what am I doing? I highly recommend checkin out Smith and Edwards and diggin through some of the jackets, you can sometimes pull a deal out.
_______________________________________________________________________________________

Hunting isn't just something I do, It's a part of who I am.
All Ducked Up
hunter

Postby slcduckkilla » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:18 pm

I like max 4 as well also the digital Sitka is fantastic but extremely expensive. I spoke to the boys at Browning last week and they told me there would be a new camo released next year to replace 'Duck Blind'.
slcduckkilla
hunter

Postby CAM_C » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:10 pm

My brain likes the new digital Sitka, my pocket book likes what ever is in the closet! LOL
The marsh changes from green to brown to white, you will drive your self crazy and go broke trying to always match.
Thier just dumb ducks!! they don't even have binos....They do see movement, and skin every well, and when looking down from above lets just say your busted! so get yourself a big camo hat and hide under it........
CAM_C
hunter

Postby cootlover » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:45 pm

Me and slayer have had ducks try to land in the decoys while we picking them up in my 18 ft boat the biggest thing is don't move I think.
cootlover
hunter

Postby loondog » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:58 pm

[quote="All Ducked Up"]I found that this approach works pretty good.

1) find your spot and set up your blind
2)take the vegitation from the front of your blind not to much to where it's to noticable
3) gather that vegitation and use big rubber bands and secure it to your body covering everything but your face
4) use the marsh muck and apply mass ammounts to your face (it dries and falls off sometimes)
5) Take a picture and send it to me

quote]

LOL, ducks not Predator!
loondog
hunter

Postby duckslayer74 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:50 pm

cootlover wrote:Me and slayer have had ducks try to land in the decoys while we picking them up in my 18 ft boat the biggest thing is don't move I think.

Yep, every damn time!!!!!!!!!
Winchester SX2 12ga, SX3 20ga, Kicks Highflyer and Terror chokes.
duckslayer74
hunter

Postby Pumpgunner » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:51 pm

Camo is not nearly as important as being still and not looking up. Think of how many ducks were killed in the old days by hunters in brown and tan canvas jackets. I have killed quite a few ducks this year wearing a brown wool sweater and canvas hat. I do think that max4 looks the best in the marsh of all the newer patterns though.
Avery- the K-Mart of waterfowl gear.
Pumpgunner
hunter

Postby MAX4Utah » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:38 am

slcduckkilla wrote:I like max 4 as well also the digital Sitka is fantastic but extremely expensive. I spoke to the boys at Browning last week and they told me there would be a new camo released next year to replace 'Duck Blind'.

That's great news! The mossy oak just needs to brig.g back the Shadow Grass pattern, hands down the best waterfowl pattern out there, at least for these parts. For now, ill stick with Max4 :thumbsup:
MAX4Utah
hunter

Postby richyrich307 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:01 am

I like max 4 as well. But there is nothing better than Avery's killer weed for the marsh. My dogs vest and hut are both killer weed and she blends in far better than I do in the marsh. The max4 is just a bit too dark sometimes while the KW is a perfect match. They just do not produce much clothing in the KW like they do with the MAX4. I would like to give the sitka stuff a try but like previously stated.... ITS EXPENSIVE!
richyrich307
hunter

Postby slcduckkilla » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:58 am

MAX4Utah wrote:
slcduckkilla wrote:I like max 4 as well also the digital Sitka is fantastic but extremely expensive. I spoke to the boys at Browning last week and they told me there would be a new camo released next year to replace 'Duck Blind'.

That's great news! The mossy oak just needs to brig.g back the Shadow Grass pattern, hands down the best waterfowl pattern out there, at least for these parts. For now, ill stick with Max4 :thumbsup:[/quot

From what I understand it will be similar to 'Shadow Grass' with less 'dark spots' I'm curious to see it.....
slcduckkilla
hunter

Postby Bighunter76 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:29 pm

I prefer to use corn stalk or desert colors for later season my favorite is snow camo.
Bighunter76

Pro staffer for Scorpion optics
Bighunter76
hunter

Return to Utah Duck Hunting