boat blind opinions

This is the Utah duck hunting forum where you are invited to communicate with other hunters like yourself.

Moderator: Spiraleyes

boat blind opinions

Postby jake001 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:49 pm

Seeing as how the freeze is coming, and the boat is gonna be parked, I figured it would be a good time to start putting a blind together. I'm partial to the idea of making one. Seen a lot of good examples and I think I wanna go with a scissor type. What are all your opinions on types of blinds and materials and why you prefer that specific setup.
jake001
hunter

Re: boat blind opinions

Postby All Ducked Up » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:11 pm

I was thinking about this earlier this week. If any open water comes along I had this Idea of using old skis bolted together as the footing and building either a tubular steel frame around them or a PVC option with fold up/pivot points, that way it will drag across the ice toward open water, set up just off the open water and use my fishing pontoon with reinforced pontoons for retreval. that way water depth wont be to big of an issue getting in and off the ice is my only concern but I've been thinking of ice anchor fabricating a support system with a single or double step up for support on the edge. if it's the marsh even breaking an access wouldnt be to bad. If skis aren't accessible i could fabricate some with wood and sheet metal. I need to bust the dust off the welder anyway. which reminds me, If you want me to fab you a motor mount to swing it inward I'll be happy to hook one up, just need to sketch it out.

getting some grass/burlap for the blind and even some spray on snow could work. even hookin some spring open shooting ports or roof that way a mr buddy heater would warm everything up.

I use to be pretty good at fab so I think we could get something put together.

And on the bonus side I got the hook up for snow geese in Delta when they come in!

I've seen some pretty cool stuff you could do with your boat next year too. And if done correctlty the blind could use fasten points to the skis and boat so it can be used either way.
_______________________________________________________________________________________

Hunting isn't just something I do, It's a part of who I am.
All Ducked Up
hunter

Postby Wack em', stack em', pack em' » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:33 pm

buy a layout blind
Wack em', stack em', pack em'
hunter

Postby jake001 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:45 pm

Holy Dang ducky. Ur gonna have to show me that on paper. Lol. Ya I'm definitely gonna upgrade the boat for next year. I've been looking at layout blinds on ksl. Be nice to have one for the field.
jake001
hunter

Return to Utah Duck Hunting