Aleutian Goose?

This is the Utah duck hunting forum where you are invited to communicate with other hunters like yourself.

Moderator: Spiraleyes

Aleutian Goose?

Postby Locked&Loaded » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:49 pm

I set-up to hunt for geese today up North and my buddy and I each shot a pair. The last group that came in on us had 4 in the flock -- 2 greaters and what looked to be 2 cacklers or lessers. I shot one of the big geese and one of the small geese and my buddy shot the other greater. After we were done hunting and back at the truck I got to looking at this smaller goose and noticed there was something about it that looked different than cacklers I've shot in the past. Its chest appeared to be a bit darker with some scattered darker feathers, its head and neck appeared to be a bit smaller than cacklers I've shot, but the biggest thing I noticed is the white ring at the base of its neck which may be a tale-tale sign that it's an Aleutian, but I really dont know. I've now looked at dozens of pictures of Aleutian geese on google images and I'm thinking that's what this bird might be. I know there are dozens if not hundreds of sub-species of Canada geese, but I think this is an Aleutian. What do you boys think?
003.JPG
002.JPG
001.JPG
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Re: Aleutian Goose?

Postby richard rouleau » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:08 pm

it looks like a cackler with the white rig arund it neck there is several diff.species very cool
southern utah waterfowler
richard rouleau
hunter

Postby Factor 8 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:10 pm

Congrats on some geese!!

here is my opinion on what you have. I think you have just a lesser goose or perhaps a Richardson's goose. the Aleutian cackling goose is a very small goose. In some cases smaller than a mallard. The bill on the goose you have there is perhaps to large to be a cackling goose, let alone an Aleutian subspecies. Many geese develop a white base ring. Taverner's cackling geese have these. What is the bill measurement?

Here is a lesser i shot last year that has a white ring.

Aleutian Cacklers are very dark chested. just as a dusky goose is. Bill measurements on Cackling geese are around an inch long. very short and stout. the smaller canada geese that we get here are Richardson's geese.
Here is a pic of the Richardson's I shot this year. Like an idiot i just cleaned it and moved on. DOH!!! a perfect bird for the wall.
Last edited by Factor 8 on Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Factor 8
hunter

Postby Kevin N » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:22 pm

the first sign of a true cackler is size... they are no bigger than a mallard.. the second is bill length a cackler has a bill length of about an inch. Next is color... the breast color is very dark. yours is as light as the goose next to it. What is the actual bill length? if it's around 1 and 7/16 of an inch than you have your self a richardsons canada goose. if longer than that its a lesser.

this is a Aleutain

congratats on the chinstraps!!!! small geese are cool!! the Richardson's cackler I shot a few weeks ago is at the taxi!!!
Kevin N
hunter

Postby OGblackcloud » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:25 pm

Ive shot a lot of those in Calif. that is an Aleutian . Congrats :thumbsup:
OGblackcloud
hunter

Postby Factor 8 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:44 pm

OGblackcloud wrote:Ive shot a lot of those in Calif. that is an Aleutian . Congrats :thumbsup:

i hate to be argumentative here, but the above goose in question is not an Aleutian. no way no how.
Factor 8
hunter

Aleutian Goose?

Postby hamernhonkers » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:02 pm

It sure looks like a lesser to me. Bill size, neck length, body size all say lesser.

Live from somewhere beneath the desert and brought to you via Tapatalk
Hello

David wrote:
I have suspended the suspension on the suspended, allowing the suspended to post in a non-suspending manner.
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby Factor 8 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:46 pm

Here are the generally accepted sub species of Canada Geese.

CACKLING CANADA GEESE
Cackling Canada Goose (Branta Canadensis minima)
Bering Canada Goose (Branta Canadensis asiatica)**Extinct
Semidi Islands Canada Goose (Branta Canadensis ??)
Aleutian Canada Goose (Branta Canadensis leucopareia)

LESSER CANADA GEESE
Lesser (Athabasa) Canada Goose (Branta Canadensis parvipes)
Richardson's (Baffin Island, Hutchins' (Branta Canadensis hutchinsii)
Taverner's (Alaskan) Canada Goose (Branta Canadensis taverneri)

DUSKY CANADA GEESE
Dusky Canada Goose (Branta Canadensis occidentalis)
Vancouver (Queen Charlotte) (Branta Canadensis fulva)
Giant Canada Goose (Branta Canadensis Maxima)

COMMON CANADA GEESE
Interior (Husdon Bay, Central, Todd's) (Branta Canadensis interior)
Atlantic (Eastern) Canada Goose (Branta Canadensis canadensis)
Moffit's(Great Basin, Western) (Branta Canadensis moffiti)
Factor 8
hunter

Postby OGblackcloud » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:54 am

I was going off the white ring . Been wrong before ,my bad
OGblackcloud
hunter

Postby blackandwhites » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:45 pm

OGblackcloud wrote:I was going off the white ring . Been wrong before ,my bad

You are always wrong when you don't agree with King Darin.
blackandwhites
hunter

Postby duaney2 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:08 pm

I believe it is a Taverner; they often have a white ring and the breast color is light like theirs. Compared to an Aleutian this goose appears to be too large. They are small bodied geese slightly larger than a Cackler with a very blocky head and short bill like a Cackler. Their neck ring is very distinct and wide all the way around. My vote is for Taverner because of the above and the bill appears a little too long for an Aleutian which is 32-38mm. The norm is much closer to the shorter end of this measurement. If you measure the bill it will probably be too long to be an Aleutian. Taverners are usually around 40mm in an adult.
duaney2
hunter

Postby Factor 8 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:24 pm

duaney2 wrote:I believe it is a Taverner; they often have a white ring and the breast color is light like theirs. Compared to an Aleutian this goose appears to be too large. They are small bodied geese slightly larger than a Cackler with a very blocky head and short bill like a Cackler. Their neck ring is very distinct and wide all the way around. My vote is for Taverner because of the above and the bill appears a little too long for an Aleutian which is 32-38mm. The norm is much closer to the shorter end of this measurement. If you measure the bill it will probably be too long to be an Aleutian. Taverners are usually around 40mm in an adult.

You know I think I would agree with ya! Looks like a taverners to me. :thumbsup:
Factor 8
hunter

Postby Locked&Loaded » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:48 pm

Thanks for all the feedback guys. Spoke to a wildlife biologist buddy of mine today and the verdict is in: Taverners. Duaney2 you win.
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby duaney2 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:00 pm

Glad to help.

Oh goody, what do I get? :smile:
duaney2
hunter

Postby Locked&Loaded » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:01 pm

duaney2 wrote:Glad to help.

Oh goody, what do I get? :smile:

My utmost respect. It's a highly coveted prize! :beer:
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby Castnshoot » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:03 pm

Another way to ID a Cacking goose is the cheek patches have a black line between them under the jaw.

Here is a pic I took at a pond in my back yard. This same little bunch of honkers show up every year. This little Cacking Goose showed for three years, and my grand kids loved to feed him.

You can kind of see the line between the patches in this photo.
Castnshoot
Newb

Return to Utah Duck Hunting