How many shoot 20ga for ducks????

This is the Utah duck hunting forum where you are invited to communicate with other hunters like yourself.

Moderator: Spiraleyes

Postby duckslayer74 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:40 pm

Well this year has been a blast shooting my 20ga, me and cootlover have had some good hunts with em. I can't believe how much fun they are, they hit hard and do a fine job of bringing the birds down :thumbsup: . I don't think I've even killed 7 ducks with the 12 this year, the 20ga has been a blast.
Winchester SX2 12ga, SX3 20ga, Kicks Highflyer and Terror chokes.
duckslayer74
hunter

Re: How many shoot 20ga for ducks????

Postby loondog » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:03 pm

Almost exclusively 20ga. Balistics are actually better in most cases is my understanding. Plus I think they tend to swing better than a lot of 12's. I have an Ithica model 37 that went from my grandpa to dad and then me when I was 11 and a Fox SxS that are both fun. The only thing I miss is having a sling on my guns. But I agree they are a blast! I was a little hesitant when a guy getting me into ducks suggested switching over but I am sold now. My shell to bird ratio has been much better this year with the switch.
loondog
hunter

Postby hamernhonkers » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:19 pm

Almost solid now for the last 5 or 6 years. I started with a couple of o/u's and have since bought an 11-87 and another o/u and then a sx3 this spring. I have killed tons of geese and 5 out of my last 6 turkeys with one. They are just a blast to shoot :thumbsup:
Hello

David wrote:
I have suspended the suspension on the suspended, allowing the suspended to post in a non-suspending manner.
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby Hunter_17 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:44 pm

I killed my swan this year with one. 1 shell over decoys died before it hit the water! I'll be buying a o/u 20 real soon

I am on the right of pic
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356241436.433663.jpg
Hunter_17
hunter

Postby bulrider98 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:52 pm

Hey I have a question for you guys I want to get my wife a shotgun and was thinking of getting her a 20ga that way in a couple of years my son could start using it when my wife wasn't. The question I have is what kind should I get we looked at the browning youth model but am not sure. I shoot a benelli nova 12 ga but don't have much experience with any 20 ga shotguns.
bulrider98
hunter

Postby cootlover » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:41 pm

I order a tri star viper 2 semi auto 20 youth model yesterday ill let you no how i like it a got for my little girl. duck slayer 74 did a lot of reading about and said its a killer gun. I been shooting a m2 20 gauge for 6 years and I love it thats all I shoot from skeet to doves and geese just as deadly as a 12 ga you just have to hit them.
cootlover
hunter

Postby duckslayer74 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:48 pm

Get em a 20ga, just make sure it fits the shooter and they're comfortable with it. As cootlover said they are just as deadly as a 12ga and make sure they get in as much practice as possible with it. :thumbsup:
duckslayer74
hunter

Postby slcduckkilla » Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:47 pm

20 guage gunner for life...... Winchester SX3 no recoil and with Pattermaster long range tube crushes just like a 12
slcduckkilla
hunter

Postby Spry Yellowdog » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:46 pm

My 20g baby that was delivered last year has made her papa proud. :thumbsup:
I have been looking at the SX3 20g seems you guys all like yours. Any
issues or field problems?

Spry
With a Dog...You never hunt alone.
Spry Yellowdog
hunter

Postby slcduckkilla » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:10 pm

Spry Yellowdog wrote:My 20g baby that was delivered last year has made her papa proud. :thumbsup:

Spry

Nothing with mine and I have put it to the test. I also look at my waterfowl guns as tools and I'm not a guy that cleans his gun every use.....
slcduckkilla
hunter

Postby slcduckkilla » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:15 pm

Spry Yellowdog wrote:My 20g baby that was delivered last year has made her papa proud. :thumbsup:

Spry

Nothing with mine and I have put it to the test. I also look at my waterfowl guns as tools and I'm not a guy that cleans his gun every use.....
slcduckkilla
hunter

Postby mojo1 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:42 pm

I bought one of those weatherby sa-08 20 gauges a couple of seasons ago, I really like it.
"Wildgame it's what's for dinner"
“The best waterfowl conservation tool of all is a well trained retriever.”

"Say what you want about the South, but U never hear of anyone retiring and moving north!"
mojo1
hunter

Postby duckslayer74 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:47 pm

Not 1 problem with mine at all, it's been a more reliable gun than my Beneli M2 20ga ever was.
duckslayer74
hunter

Postby slcduckkilla » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:03 pm

duckslayer74 wrote:Not 1 problem with mine at all, it's been a more reliable gun than my Beneli M2 20ga ever was.

Duck slayer your not a Benelli fan? Can you explain why?
slcduckkilla
hunter

Postby hamernhonkers » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:22 pm

Same here with no issues with the sx3. First season and not a hiccup yet! loving it so far.

Live from somewhere beneath the desert and brought to you via Tapatalk
Hello

David wrote:
I have suspended the suspension on the suspended, allowing the suspended to post in a non-suspending manner.
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby cootlover » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:30 am

Duck slayer is not a fan because I out shoot him with my M2 20 gauge when he shooting his X2 12 ga :lol:
cootlover
hunter

Postby duckslayer74 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:00 am

slcduckkilla wrote:
duckslayer74 wrote:Not 1 problem with mine at all, it's been a more reliable gun than my Beneli M2 20ga ever was.

For some reason mine wouldn't put a 3rd into battery and the first time I used it the barrel rusted bad enough I had to have it coated, I kept the gun clean and oiled after every hunt too. The third reason is the Benelli "click". A slight bump on the blind or the bottom of the boat and the bolt would disengage. Another reason is the Comfort-tec stock, I couldn't stand listening to it squeaking when you shouldered the gun it just felt flimsy. I just don't see the benefit of a Benelli? They recoil harder, more expensive, and still should be cleaned after every hunt. I hear their tolerances are tighter but up against either of my Winchesters, X2 or X3 or the Browning Golds and Maxus I don't think you can tell a difference? Besides why is there so many Benelli owners that say "my gun won't cycle or doesn't like these shells" I personally think you can get a better gun for less money that will run whatever is put through it.
duckslayer74
hunter

Postby Spry Yellowdog » Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:50 pm

Thanks for the replys.
Last year I shot a round of trap with a M2 which was good.
Gun functioned perfect, but it didnt fit and they wouldnt let me reconfigure the stock to my needs.
Mojo is the sa08 the same as the tristar?
Since im such a weird size and a stickler for shotgun fit. Does the SX3 have shims and LOP adjustable pads?

Spry
Spry Yellowdog
hunter

Postby slcduckkilla » Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:17 pm

duckslayer74 wrote:
slcduckkilla wrote:

For some reason mine wouldn't put a 3rd into battery and the first time I used it the barrel rusted bad enough I had to have it coated, I kept the gun clean and oiled after every hunt too. The third reason is the Benelli "click". A slight bump on the blind or the bottom of the boat and the bolt would disengage. Another reason is the Comfort-tec stock, I couldn't stand listening to it squeaking when you shouldered the gun it just felt flimsy. I just don't see the benefit of a Benelli? They recoil harder, more expensive, and still should be cleaned after every hunt. I hear their tolerances are tighter but up against either of my Winchesters, X2 or X3 or the Browning Golds and Maxus I don't think you can tell a difference? Besides why is there so many Benelli owners that say "my gun won't cycle or doesn't like these shells" I personally think you can get a better gun for less money that will run whatever is put through it.

Makes sense I shoot all the guns you just mentioned SBE II, Maxus and SX3. Seems they all have the quirks. I think the Winchester for the money is the best thing going.
slcduckkilla
hunter

Postby hamernhonkers » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:37 pm

Spry Yellowdog wrote:
Since im such a weird size and a stickler for shotgun fit. Does the SX3 have shims and LOP adjustable pads?

Spry

Yes. You can adjust cast and length of pull just not the comb.

Live from somewhere beneath the desert and brought to you via Tapatalk
Hello

David wrote:
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby cootlover » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:48 pm

SPRY I shot around of sporting clays with slayer 74 x3 20gauge yesterday it shot good but it felt weird for me but slayer loves it if you could I would shoot one first :biggrin:
cootlover
hunter

Postby duckslayer74 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:56 pm

cootlover wrote:SPRY I shot around of sporting clays with slayer 74 x3 20gauge yesterday it shot good but it felt weird for me but slayer loves it if you could I would shoot one first :biggrin:

It felt wired because your not used to it :fingerhead: . I've put as many rounds through my X3 as I did my M2 and I've not had one single problem or malfunction. To be honest my M2 felt good but it just wasn't worth the money Benelli wants for it, especially with the quirks that the Benelli's have.
duckslayer74
hunter

Postby Spry Yellowdog » Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:10 am

It's to late for santa to bring me a SX so guess i will have to go buy one for myself.
BTW i know what a proper fitting gun is for me. When they fit they feel perfect from the word go.
Not something you need to adapt to.
Merry Christmas everyone!

Spry
Spry Yellowdog
hunter

Postby mojo1 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:05 pm

After a couple of my buddies bought those trimstars and had lots of problems, I didn't even look at them.

The SA-08 looks similar but weatherby has there own dedicated factory over there to make their brand guns, is it better, no idea but I've never had problems that were not self induced. I got a piece of trash in the action one morning at brbr, that jammed the shell in the mag release, and I loaded up,a,batch of reloads that wouldn't chamber, didn't size the brass ( Remington gun clubs are made of steel) other than that mine has been great.

It's not the prettiest or toughest finish or have the tightest tolerances,but she goes bang, bang, bang when you pull the trigger, it fits me too. I shoot it well. I bought it for a beater gun, and she has held up, all for less than $425.

It's gas system does come with two pistons, one for heavy loads and one for light loads, after the break in period, I have never needed to take the heavy one out. But it is quick and easy to change them.
"Wildgame it's what's for dinner"
“The best waterfowl conservation tool of all is a well trained retriever.”

"Say what you want about the South, but U never hear of anyone retiring and moving north!"
mojo1
hunter

Postby cootlover » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:42 am

Mojo1 Armsan makes a620,tri star viper ,weatherby sa-08 they are all the same gun made on the same line they just changed the name. When you coming back to Utah so we can shoot some clays on the base :biggrin:
cootlover
hunter

Next

Return to Utah Duck Hunting