Locked up?

This is the Utah duck hunting forum where you are invited to communicate with other hunters like yourself.

Moderator: Spiraleyes

Locked up?

Postby hamernhonkers » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:30 pm

So just how locked up is it now up there guys? Still waiting for birds to show down here.

Live from somewhere beneath the desert and brought to you via Tapatalk
Hello

David wrote:
I have suspended the suspension on the suspended, allowing the suspended to post in a non-suspending manner.
hamernhonkers
hunter

Re: Locked up?

Postby duckslayer74 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:10 pm

Been locked up for over a week on Harold and the Spur. It sucks, I wouldn't say the migrators really even showed up????? That's JMO though :huh: .
Winchester SX2 12ga, SX3 20ga, Kicks Highflyer and Terror chokes.
duckslayer74
hunter

Postby slcduckkilla » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:21 pm

With the late freeze do you guys think they may have just blow'n by us? There is a pile of geese in the fields just outside of Saratoga Springs they are in city limits so no shooting. I would estimate around 5000 birds using these fields.if nothing moves them my goose chasing maybe over for the season....
slcduckkilla
hunter

Postby Locked&Loaded » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:43 pm

All the marshes, lakes, ponds, etc are locked up tight. The Bear river is partially frozen on the edges and has huge chunks of ice floating down it. The temps here over the next few days are going to be low teens, so the Bear will be frozen up in another couple of days.
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby hamernhonkers » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:46 pm

Well I guess between that and the snow you guys have we should see new birds real soon it sounds like. I can't believe just how tough it has been down here this season. By now we should be covered up in pintails and shovlers and I haven't seen all but two pinners so far this season.......Defiantly a strange one :huh:
Hello

David wrote:
I have suspended the suspension on the suspended, allowing the suspended to post in a non-suspending manner.
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby slcduckkilla » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:50 pm

Had a great shoot yesterday but normally hunt this spot late November early December and the birds just started coming in. So I would guess at a minimum they are 3 to 4 weeks late.
slcduckkilla
hunter

Postby Locked&Loaded » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:57 pm

If you consider that it was 55-60 degrees 3 to 4 weeks ago, I'm guessing you are spot on about the major migration being a month later than usual this year.
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby Spry Yellowdog » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:25 pm

From what i'm seeing and hearing is we had a very early major push in here in Oct.
Then we got that first snow and tons left. Then these freeze- thaw cycles have kept most from hanging
around along time.
Now im noticing small pushes from the north, but with all this snow and cold again they probably will move out quick.
But are concentrating on any open water you can find.
And all the local geese just sit under the pines on the golf courses and eat grass. They sure arn't coming out to my play ground
like normal. But if they do..........I will be waiting!!

Spry
With a Dog...You never hunt alone.
Spry Yellowdog
hunter

Postby Bug Doc » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:56 am

Like others have mentioned, we've noticed everything seems to be about a month behind schedule. Normally we start to get wigeon and gadwall around mid-November, and they just showed up a couple of weeks ago. Goldeneye and ringers usually hit first or second week of December, and I got my first of each only yesterday. Very strange, very mild year indeed.
Bug Doc
hunter

Postby Locked&Loaded » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:30 am

Bug Doc wrote:Like others have mentioned, we've noticed everything seems to be about a month behind schedule. Normally we start to get wigeon and gadwall around mid-November, and they just showed up a couple of weeks ago. Goldeneye and ringers usually hit first or second week of December, and I got my first of each only yesterday. Very strange, very mild year indeed.

Now that you mention the time period when we usually start seeing the goldeneyes -- I've usually shot 10-12 goldeneyes by this time each year and I haven't fired a shell at one yet this season. At least in the areas that I hunt, it doesnt appear that the goldeneyes have shown up yet at all.
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby duckslayer74 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:19 am

I saw the Goldies start to show up a few days after Thanksgiving, then 2 weeks later they were gone. I didn't see the spoonies come in as thick as they normally do either.
Winchester SX2 12ga, SX3 20ga, Kicks Highflyer and Terror chokes.
duckslayer74
hunter

Postby benellired89 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:07 am

I defiantly agree migration is late got lots if wigeon hanging around i have killed two pinnys and shot my golden eye couple days ago seen a couple of other pinny around but nothing like usual. Also i was out on a boat at mud lake and it was still really open seen lots of birds and had a great shoot but it should be froze hard by now. My guess the day after the season closes the birds will show.:twisted:

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
benellired89
hunter

Return to Utah Duck Hunting