Found a Little Open Water

This is the Utah duck hunting forum where you are invited to communicate with other hunters like yourself.

Moderator: Spiraleyes

Postby Locked&Loaded » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:40 pm

My boy and I went out on a little scouting trip yesterday afternoon and found a small stretch of river that was wide open and chuck full of ducks. We went out late this morning to hunt it and I decided I was just going to sit back for most of the day and call and work the dog and let Jr. shoot. He didn't shoot too bad and hit about as many as he missed. The fun thing about the day was each group of mallards that came into our spread today had anywhere from 15 to 40 birds in it.

We had one pair of birds that I caught out of the corner of my eye coming down the river toward us and I could tell they weren't mallards, but it wasnt until they were right ontop of us and my boy missed that I realized it was a pair of woodies. Had I know what they were a second earlier, I would have grabbed my gun and missed right along with Jr.

We also had a big flock of geese looking us over and circled several times, but I could never get them in range and they finally bugged out without giving us a shot.

It was a fun day!
12-29-12.jpg
004.JPG
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Re: Found a Little Open Water

Postby hamernhonkers » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:48 pm

Very nice! You have just got to love day's like that when the birds want to play and you can just sit back and let others enjoy it along with you :thumbsup:
Hello

David wrote:
I have suspended the suspension on the suspended, allowing the suspended to post in a non-suspending manner.
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby Locked&Loaded » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:55 pm

It was fun to just sit back and watch, but man oh man I wish I would have gotten a whack at those woodies. They weren't particularly easy shots as they were not coming into our decoys, but rather just buzzing mach-2 down the river so I would have probably just wasted 3 shells anyway.
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby hamernhonkers » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:58 pm

Locked&Loaded wrote:It was fun to just sit back and watch, but man oh man I wish I would have gotten a whack at those woodies. They weren't particularly easy shots as they were not coming into our decoys, but rather just buzzing mach-2 down the river so I would have probably just wasted 3 shells anyway.

Ya but at least you could of tired them even if you whiffed all three shots. It sure is nice to see the numbers of them growing so that people are starting to have more and more chances at them. Who knows maybe next time out they will give you a shot :thumbsup:
Hello

David wrote:
I have suspended the suspension on the suspended, allowing the suspended to post in a non-suspending manner.
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby Locked&Loaded » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:04 pm

hamernhonkers wrote:
Locked&Loaded wrote:It was fun to just sit back and watch, but man oh man I wish I would have gotten a whack at those woodies. They weren't particularly easy shots as they were not coming into our decoys, but rather just buzzing mach-2 down the river so I would have probably just wasted 3 shells anyway.

Ya but at least you could of tired them even if you whiffed all three shots. It sure is nice to see the numbers of them growing so that people are starting to have more and more chances at them. Who knows maybe next time out they will give you a shot :thumbsup:

I'm gonna give that spot about 3 days to settle down and then hit it again, so I'll keep my fingers crossed that I get another chance at em!
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby slcduckkilla » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:14 pm

I have never seen a woodie in Utah. Are they spread out through the state or do they stay in a paticular region?
slcduckkilla
hunter

Postby Locked&Loaded » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:21 pm

slcduckkilla wrote:I have never seen a woodie in Utah. Are they spread out through the state or do they stay in a paticular region?

I don't know if they are more common in one region of the state as compared to others, but the only places I've ever seen woodies in Utah is on small rivers with lots of tall, thick trees lining the rivers' edge. I've never seen a wood duck in the marsh.
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby cootlover » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:42 pm

We shot 2 woodies last year on willard spur and had a flock of 7 land right behind us out of gun range .
cootlover
hunter

Postby richard rouleau » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:45 pm

very nice there
southern utah waterfowler
richard rouleau
hunter

Postby hamernhonkers » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:45 pm

I've shot all but 8 or 9 of mine off a couple small ponds surrounded by trees and willows. The other have been off of small streams heavily lined by willows. But I have shot them all in central and southern utah.

Live from somewhere beneath the desert and brought to you via Tapatalk
Hello

David wrote:
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby OGblackcloud » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:54 pm

Sounds like a great day with your son :thumbsup:
OGblackcloud
hunter

Postby Spry Yellowdog » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:13 pm

Sounds like a great day L&L
Kind of you to let the pair of woodies pass to make more.
Now someday I might see one :thumbsup:
Congrats
Spry
With a Dog...You never hunt alone.
Spry Yellowdog
hunter

Postby Duckassassin001! » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:28 am

congrats on the birds good to see people letting the younger kids get out and have a good time, I took a couple of newbies out this morning and set 25 or so in there lap and only got 4 down but still got lots of shooting and laugh ing in
Full time Hunter Part time Worker
Duckassassin001!
hunter

Postby Bug Doc » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:06 am

Congrats to your son on a good day (although I'm guessing Dad had at least as much fun as he did :wink: ).

I've taken woodies in 4 different locations here in the state, in places where I've hunted as long as 30 years and never saw one before. Two were on small rivers surrounded by sage brush (no trees anywhere), one was on a large reservoir, and only one was on a river with some hardwoods. I didn't see my first wood duck in the state until about 5 years ago, and my father hunted here for nearly 60 years and never saw a wood duck, much less bag one. That leads me to believe they really are becoming more abundant.
Bug Doc
hunter

Postby benellired89 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:19 am

Looks like a fun day abd i have git three woodies abd tge have all been on obe river and it is just lije u say trees covered the hole thing

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
benellired89
hunter

Return to Utah Duck Hunting