Ice Eater

This is the Utah duck hunting forum where you are invited to communicate with other hunters like yourself.

Moderator: Spiraleyes

Ice Eater

Postby cstorey » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:39 pm

Has anyone ever used those ice eaters that they sale to keep the water from freezing, and keeping the honey hole open. I was just wondering how well they work. The youtube videos and advertisements look awesome, but I wanted to see if anyone in Utah utilizes this technique.
cstorey
hunter

Re: Ice Eater

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:16 am

It's a trolling motor inside of a big tube. A few guys on here have made their own. I have an extra trolling motor. Or, you could get a 55 gallon drum, stick it in the ice, fill it full of fuel and wood, and light it up. You'll have a nice opening within a few hours. :thumbsup:
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby cstorey » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:11 am

I seen the trolling motor idea, i like the 55 gallon barrel idea though. so that is something you could build in and then build the pond around it, that way its accessible throughout the hunting season just build a fire and melt the ice around it.
cstorey
hunter

Postby slcduckkilla » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:34 pm

cstorey wrote:I seen the trolling motor idea, i like the 55 gallon barrel idea though. so that is something you could build in and then build the pond around it, that way its accessible throughout the hunting season just build a fire and melt the ice around it.

Never hunted over one in Utah hunted over one Nebreska years ago it was awesone. It seemed heavy and wouldn't be something you could lug around the marsh. Would be ideal if you had some private pond to set it in. The guys we hunted with actually set it up the night prior to the hun I don't know if its something you can drop in and hunt that day either
slcduckkilla
hunter

Return to Utah Duck Hunting