Today's Shoot Up

This is the Utah duck hunting forum where you are invited to communicate with other hunters like yourself.

Moderator: Spiraleyes

Today's Shoot Up

Postby Locked&Loaded » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:27 pm

Hey Fellas-

I'll be honest, in light of recent events, I'm a little bit leery about posting anything here, particularly anything with pictures, especially one that includes a woodie, however, I thought I’d share my day’s hunt with you all.

I have a little (about a mile) stretch of an unnamed river that I’ve been granted permission to hunt. I was allowed permission through developing a relationship with an old farmer. I’ve gone up and helped him haul hay and fix fences and a few other things during the summers and that has helped me get to hunt his ground. It’s a tremendous privilege to hunt this stretch of river because no one has been allowed to hunt it for years.

This particular river, for whatever reason, never fully freezes over, even during the coldest of times, such as right now. This time of year when everything else freezes up, this stretch of river usually holds large numbers of mallards and a decent little population of woodies. However, until today I have never taken a woodie from this spot.

I set up on a slow little stretch of river with a big wide, slow moving bend. The very first ducks of the day to drop into my spread was a pair of woodies. I lucked out and hit the drake on my first shot. My little yellow mutt made a nice retrieve and I sat and held that pretty little duck in my hand in reverence for a few special moments. I’ve not had many opportunities for wood ducks and felt privileged to be holding one.

During the next 45 minutes or so I had several pairs and small groups of 6 or 8 wood ducks come into my decoys and land. It was really cool to see them in decent numbers today. After those ducks landed in the decoys, my mutt would look at the ducks, then at me, then at the ducks and back at me like I had lost my mind or my sight and she obviously wondered what I was doing sitting on my butt when there were ducks in the decoys.

After about 2 hours after having set-up my spread the mallards starting trickling back to the river and within 30 minutes I had my 7 birds. I rarely shoot doubles, but today I inadvertently shot 2 birds with one shell twice. With two different groups of birds, I pulled up to whack a drake and pulled the trigger and knocked down the drake and a nearby hen. Just the way it goes sometimes I suppose.

Anyway, hope everyone gets 2013 started off right and gets out and finds a few birds before the season ends. I wish you all the best and be safe out there.

-L&L
001.JPG
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Re: Today's Shoot Up

Postby richard rouleau » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:39 pm

very nice there
southern utah waterfowler
richard rouleau
hunter

Postby OGblackcloud » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:53 pm

Great post LL :thumbsup: Good job on the birds
OGblackcloud
hunter

Postby Simple » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:09 pm

That right there sounds like a hunter dream. Congrats. Its moments like those where you really work your butt off to be able to have the opertunity and then to be able to shoot the prince of the wetlands a wood duck and be able to sit back and take it in must have just felt great. Thats awesome and to cap it off a good dog that was able to retreive it for ha ha. Once a again thanks for the pic and happy new year to you. :thumbsup:
Simple
hunter

Postby Locked&Loaded » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:38 pm

Simple wrote:That right there sounds like a hunter dream. Congrats. Its moments like those where you really work your butt off to be able to have the opertunity and then to be able to shoot the prince of the wetlands a wood duck and be able to sit back and take it in must have just felt great. Thats awesome and to cap it off a good dog that was able to retreive it for ha ha. Once a again thanks for the pic and happy new year to you. :thumbsup:

Hunting with a good dog is half the fun for me! Every duck I shot today either landed on the other side of or right in the middle of the river, so a good dog was required to get these ducks to hand. I'll tell ya though, it was so darn cold today I was worried about the mutt, but she never acted like she was cold. I think I was shiverling a lot more than she was. It's hard to tell in this picture, but right after getting out of the water, her entire coat was solid ice crystals in a matter of seconds.
002.jpg
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby Locked&Loaded » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:41 pm

Interesting, I don't know why that picture is so small, but if you click on it and then click it again it will be a larger view.
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby Simple » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:44 pm

She is good looking thats for sure. Ive never had the chance of hunting with a well trained dog but i bet it is super nice.
Simple
hunter

Today's Shoot Up

Postby hamernhonkers » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:47 pm

Nice!

L&L you deserve a nice woody man! Guys who respect what its all about like you and many others on this forum are the ones who deserve an opportunity like that. Well done man!

Live from somewhere beneath the desert and brought to you via Tapatalk
Hello

David wrote:
I have suspended the suspension on the suspended, allowing the suspended to post in a non-suspending manner.
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby richyrich307 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:52 pm

Hunting with a dog is definitely half the fun. On super cold days like these I think my dog is actually warmer. This is because as soon as she gets out of the water her coat is frozen solid and she simply shakes it off and she is completely dry. Its those windy 20-30 degree days that make me worry about her.
richyrich307
hunter

Postby duckslayer74 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:53 pm

Nice job L&L. I think ducks are just about as cool to watch as they're to shoot. One can learn a lot by just watching, even when the season's about over. :thumbsup:
Winchester SX2 12ga, SX3 20ga, Kicks Highflyer and Terror chokes.
duckslayer74
hunter

Postby richyrich307 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:55 pm

[quote="hamernhonkers"]Nice!

L&L you deserve a nice woody man! Guys who respect what its all about like you and many others on this forum are the ones who deserve an opportunity like that. Well done man!

X2
richyrich307
hunter

Postby Labs2 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:16 pm

Very nice!!!!! Congrats
Labs2
hunter

Postby cootlover » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:24 pm

L&L you shouldn't scared of showing a nice woodie you could have shot a limit of woodies but shot one that say's a lot I have read every post you have posted this year and you seem like a stand up guy by the way nice limit :thumbsup:
cootlover
hunter

Postby Pumpgunner » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:35 pm

That looks like a fantastic shoot, glad you had such a good day. Some of my best days hunting have been just me and my dog. I would like to personally thank you for showing restraint and appreciating what a treasure a wood duck is in Utah, I'm glad to see such respect from my fellow waterfowlers. Thanks for setting a great example!
Avery- the K-Mart of waterfowl gear.
Pumpgunner
hunter

Postby Spry Yellowdog » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:27 am

Congratulations!
Thats a beautiful way to start 2013 :thumbsup:
Nice picture of the pup.... brrrrrr makes me cold just looking at the ice on him.
I hope mines coat thickens a bit for next year these frozen water retrieves I have to be careful.
When I hear teeth chattering I know its time for a walk to warm up. Then a coat..LOL
She spent 15 minutes looking for a mallard I had down in the phrag crap. But after bringing me 3 wounded coots
from the other side of the canal that were between me and the mallard.
I had to give it up. It was up to me to make the retreat for her sake. She would never stop.
I think I need to work on leave it more. I didnt want to go to far on leaving birds on such a young dog.
This season has given me a list of training prioritys for the spring.

Keep up the good work and have fun

Spry
With a Dog...You never hunt alone.
Spry Yellowdog
hunter

Postby donttreadonme » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:37 am

Pumpgunner wrote:That looks like a fantastic shoot, glad you had such a good day. Some of my best days hunting have been just me and my dog. I would like to personally thank you for showing restraint and appreciating what a treasure a wood duck is in Utah, I'm glad to see such respect from my fellow waterfowlers. Thanks for setting a great example!

Couldn't have said it any better. Thanks for sharing L&L
"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time."
donttreadonme
hunter

Postby darb79 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:29 pm

A day on the water with the dog is what its all about. Adding some birds is just icing. Its also having a happy place like that at your finger tips too! That woodie going on the wall?
If a man is alone in a duck blind and no woman can hear him... Is he still wrong?
darb79
hunter

Postby Jsw » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:13 am

Very nice! I'm jealouse man.
Jsw
hunter

Postby Locked&Loaded » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:40 am

darb79 wrote:A day on the water with the dog is what its all about. Adding some birds is just icing. Its also having a happy place like that at your finger tips too! That woodie going on the wall?

Yes sir. Just dropped him off to the taxidermist yesterday. One of his wings was hit a little bit hard, so looks like it will be a standing mount. Something similar to this...
Wood%20Duck.JPG
(18.93 KiB) Downloaded 861 times
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby OGblackcloud » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:14 am

That will look good LL :thumbsup:
OGblackcloud
hunter

Postby cootlover » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:22 pm

L&L who does your birds?
cootlover
hunter

Postby Locked&Loaded » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:54 pm

cootlover wrote:L&L who does your birds?

I use Brian Snyder. He does a great job and is very reasonable $150 for ducks.
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby Ross9400 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:26 pm

always something to be said about doing it the right way. great post!
Ross9400
hunter

Return to Utah Duck Hunting