Duck Decoys

This is the Utah duck hunting forum where you are invited to communicate with other hunters like yourself.

Moderator: Spiraleyes

Duck Decoys

Postby slcduckkilla » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:18 pm

I heard form an old school duck hunter that the theory used to be to make decoys look more like a cartoon drawing of a duck then of a duck itself. Any thoughts to this? Has anyone ever heard of this? As far as decoys go what is everyone using? Personally I don't spend much money on my duck decoys as the brackish we hunt off of the GSL is so hard on them. I run some teal, wigeon and pintail GHG. My mallards are whatever is cheap...... Goose decoys are a different story for me.....
slcduckkilla
hunter

Re: Duck Decoys

Postby duckslayer74 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:01 pm

I've never heard of that, but the theory does explain the old Flambeau's looks. :lol3:
Winchester SX2 12ga, SX3 20ga, Kicks Highflyer and Terror chokes.
duckslayer74
hunter

Postby slcduckkilla » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:10 pm

duckslayer74 wrote:I've never heard of that, but the theory does explain the old Flambeau's looks. :lol3:

Or the old and new 'Deeks Deocoys' the inflatables
slcduckkilla
hunter

Postby Locked&Loaded » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:17 pm

duckslayer74 wrote:I've never heard of that, but the theory does explain the old Flambeau's looks. :lol3:

:lol3: :lol3: :lol3:
Wasn't this one of Flambeu's earlier prototypes?
Flambeau Prototype.jpg

I have been using a lot of the hot buy mallards and replacing them every 3 years. At $24.99 it's pretty hard to beat the prices, but the paint quality stinks. The paint looks good, but starts chipping and peeling off pretty quickly. I can get about 3 seasons and then they start looking pretty hammered. The best decoys I've ever owned are the G&H. I've still got 3 dozen G&H mallards that I've used for the past 11 seasons and they still look pretty darn good.
quacknstack6 wrote:L&L is right
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby slcduckkilla » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:29 pm

Locked&Loaded wrote:

:lol3: :lol3: :lol3:
Wasn't this one of Flambeu's earlier prototypes?
Flambeau Prototype.jpg

I have been using a lot of the hot buy mallards and replacing them every 3 years. At $24.99 it's pretty hard to beat the prices, but the paint quality stinks. The paint looks good, but starts chipping and peeling off pretty quickly. I can get about 3 seasons and then they start looking pretty hammered. The best decoys I've ever owned are the G&H. I've still got 3 dozen G&H mallards that I've used for the past 11 seasons and they still look pretty darn good.

That is similar to me I chuck about half my decoys every year from abuse. I will look into G&H. I donind spending the money if you can get the use out of them.
slcduckkilla
hunter

Postby richyrich307 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:38 pm

I have a few of the old style Flambeau's I got from my grandfather. They are decorations in my gun room now. :lol3: He also gave me a few of his decoys he had before the Flambeau's. The are made out of flat cardboard! I know my grandfather has killed a lot of ducks in his day but it really makes we wonder how he did it with the calls and decoys he used. The evolution of duck hunting has been pretty crazy. Very interesting though.
richyrich307
hunter

Postby slcduckkilla » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:05 pm

richyrich307 wrote:I have a few of the old style Flambeau's I got from my grandfather. They are decorations in my gun room now. :lol3: He also gave me a few of his decoys he had before the Flambeau's. The are made out of flat cardboard! I know my grandfather has killed a lot of ducks in his day but it really makes we wonder how he did it with the calls and decoys he used. The evolution of duck hunting has been pretty crazy. Very interesting though.

Ya I remember shooting ducks over my uncles old deeks decoys and my great grandfathers wooden chipped decoys that primarily looked black. I just wonder how much is really need to get birds to sit down. Especially when you look at the new goose decoys like the Avian X and Dave Smiths as compared to the old school magnum shells. Maybe they just shot better using good ole lead
slcduckkilla
hunter

Postby richyrich307 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:50 pm

It was either the lead or there was just a whole lot less hunting pressure than there is now and the ducks were just plain stupid.
richyrich307
hunter

Postby Simple » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:51 pm

slcduckkilla wrote:Ya I remember shooting ducks over my uncles old deeks decoys and my great grandfathers wooden chipped decoys that primarily looked black. I just wonder how much is really need to get birds to sit down. Especially when you look at the new goose decoys like the Avian X and Dave Smiths as compared to the old school magnum shells. Maybe they just shot better using good ole lead

I ended up with some of my grandpas old paper mache decoys ha ha they are goofy looking, i used to think it was all about whoever had the most detailed decoys would do the best, then i went on an airboat and all we used were homemade black duck silos and the ducks just poor into them ha ha. Kind of weird. I really like to use a variety of mallards, pintail, coots, herons, and teal. gives it a mix of a bunch of birds. Confidence decoys is my main though and I really like GHG decoys.
Simple
hunter

Postby Pumpgunner » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:36 am

Funny how decoys have gone up and down in quality over the years. Before factory made decoys started being made in the 1920's guys that carved decoys by hand were true artists, these are carved cedar hunting decoys from the early 1900's:
untitled.png
untitled.png (48.83 KiB) Viewed 282 times

bluebill.png
bluebill.png (49.75 KiB) Viewed 282 times

If you look at some factory decoys from the 1950's and 60's they really do look like cartoons, I kind of think that we are in a new golden age of decoys as far as realism and detail go.
Avery- the K-Mart of waterfowl gear.
Pumpgunner
hunter

Postby spooner » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:11 am

As was mentioned above, black is the decoy color of choice.

spooner
hunter

Return to Utah Duck Hunting