decoys spreads..

This is the Utah duck hunting forum where you are invited to communicate with other hunters like yourself.

Moderator: Spiraleyes

decoys spreads..

Postby greenhead5622 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:02 pm

So i need a little help. I have a river im hunting and i have a spot that there are a lot of ducks flying into. Is a big spread or a small spread better? I have heard both but i was just curious what you guys thought. Any help would be appreciated thanks!!!
DARKFOWLERS_HUNTINGGUIDE: MAKIN' IT RAIN
greenhead5622
hunter

Re: decoys spreads..

Postby Locked&Loaded » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:16 pm

It's really hard to say without seeing the area you are setting up in, but me personally I usually only use 6 or 8 duck decoys on the rivers I hunt this time of year. And perhaps a couple of floater goose decoys and another 4 up on the bank. This small little setup has worked great for me.
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby apflyingleap » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:40 pm

Depends on the competition. Are there other ducks working into other spots close by? If so, you need to make your spread stand out. Agree with the goose deke suggestion. Or, if you really have a wild hair, throw out 6 coots and a couple of drake pintails. Just whistle a few times. I've also seen a heron confidence decoy a few yards away from a regular 6 or 8 puddler dekes. Or, just hope yours is the last spot to freeze...then decoys don't matter!
apflyingleap
hunter

Postby greenhead5622 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:56 pm

There is some competition with other ducks. This spot is on a big straight in the river thats kinda shallow. Usually just jump shoot this spot but the last few times i have watched ducks land there and after i have jumped it i have had ducks land back in there while i was picking up my dead ones. Its surrounded by shorter trees. Thanks for the help!!
DARKFOWLERS_HUNTINGGUIDE: MAKIN' IT RAIN
greenhead5622
hunter

Postby apflyingleap » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:06 pm

Sounds like you just need to drop a half-dozen and sit back and let the feathers fly!

Post some pics of your next victorious outing.
apflyingleap
hunter

Return to Utah Duck Hunting