Last Couple of weeks

This is the Utah duck hunting forum where you are invited to communicate with other hunters like yourself.

Moderator: Spiraleyes

Last Couple of weeks

Postby hamernhonkers » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:55 am

It’s been a good couple of weeks hunting birds both in the desert and home in the snow. Started the Sunday before Christmas with good shoot in the desert bagging 5 birds in 55 degree weather.

Next it was the Sunday after Christmas with another good shoot in warm weather taking 6 ducks and 2 honkers.

Got back home to the snow on Wednesday after New Year’s Day and didn’t have time to scout for birds with family stuff to do so had to run blind on Thursday. Went to an area that normally I can find geese like mad once everything is hard frozen but for the life of me I could not locate a single goose. Did have a good time even though the temp never got above 11 degrees for the day and managed a limit of quacks.

Friday moved to another valley after a phone call to a farmer friend and set up blind on a warm spring in the middle of some fields and had one small flock of 8 geese come in for a pounding.

Spent the rest of the day looking for a hunt for the next day and located a flock of 15 honkers using another warm spring and about 300 ducks dropping into a stretch of open water on another piece of land of whom I knew the owner of. Of course as luck would have it some idiots tried to sneak the geese off the spring and blew them out so I knew I could not count of them for the morning hunt and on Saturday morning I got a phone call from the owner of the ground with all the ducks on it telling me they had a change of plans and were leaving to go to a function and told me I could come hunt the ducks next weekend. With this change I made a couple of calls to some friends down in Richards part of the state and they told me their ponds were holding a good number of birds on them so I hoped in the truck and headed south.

First pond I went to……..

Second pond I hit……………….see any shooters in there??????

Believe it or not I never touched the trigger on the gun Saturday. I spent the day renewing friendships with the land owners and had great BS sessions with both of them and just taking pics of the birds. (sorry Kevin the birds did not want to fly for me for any BIF shots)

Finished the trip yesterday by coming back to the desert and taking my 6 year old girl and my 7 year old boy out for a hunt on the WMA here. We didn’t do too bad for an afternoon hunt with 2 pinners and a gaddy and a few other shots I refuse to talk about lol. The kids had a great time and I couldn’t stop laughing at my son as he was telling my daughter what to do in the duck blind as it was her first time out sitting decoying ducks and boy every time he would tell her to not move or don’t do this or that she would let him have it. There truly is nothing better than getting to hang with the kids doing what you love to do!

And a beautiful finishe to a great couple of weeks.

Hello

David wrote:
I have suspended the suspension on the suspended, allowing the suspended to post in a non-suspending manner.
hamernhonkers
hunter

Re: Last Couple of weeks

Postby OGblackcloud » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:30 pm

Nice post and congrats on the hunts :thumbsup:
OGblackcloud
hunter

Postby Locked&Loaded » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:34 pm

That looks like a solid couple of weeks!

Good write up, good pictures.

And I agree, its a blast to get the kiddies out for a hunt! The older I get the more I enjoy taking the youngens out.
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby RJMAX5 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:48 pm

Great job getting the kids out! When you going to have me a steven down? We'll bring neck collar too.
RJMAX5
hunter

Postby Kevin N » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:10 pm

Nice!!!!! good to see ya getting a few birds!!!! noticed the bootlip.... long live the smiling Mallard!!! great post!!!!
Kevin N
hunter

Postby hamernhonkers » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:16 pm

RJMAX5 wrote:Great job getting the kids out! When you going to have me a steven down? We'll bring neck collar too.

I don't think neckcollar would want to come down........there are only bands to be had down here anymore. Killed out all the collars :wink:
Hello

David wrote:
I have suspended the suspension on the suspended, allowing the suspended to post in a non-suspending manner.
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby hamernhonkers » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:18 pm

Kevin N wrote:Nice!!!!! good to see ya getting a few birds!!!! noticed the bootlip.... long live the smiling Mallard!!! great post!!!!

I bet even you will admit you love watching a big flock of bootlips working the blocks :tongue:

You were right about the birds heading down this way. Seen so many pinners yesterday.............it's going to be a good finish to the season with all of them around :thumbsup:
Hello

David wrote:
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby Toasty » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:37 am

Nothing better than to spend a week of vacation hunting. Love to see the kids in the blind, I have more fun watching them than hunting. It is funny how fast they become experts in their own minds.
Toasty
hunter

Postby utahgolf » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:54 pm

nice job! that pond was stacked with some widgeon in there! I am jealous, I have only made it out a couple times for freeze hunts, I was looking back at some of my old freeze hunt pics and got the itch to maybe head out this week before it closes.
utahgolf
hunter

Postby hamernhonkers » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:44 pm

utahgolf wrote:nice job! that pond was stacked with some widgeon in there!

Dare guess who the first person I though of as I seen what the pond was loaded with :wink:
Hello

David wrote:
hamernhonkers
hunter

Return to Utah Duck Hunting