Help trying to train my lab pup to retrieve

This is the Utah duck hunting forum where you are invited to communicate with other hunters like yourself.

Moderator: Spiraleyes

Help trying to train my lab pup to retrieve

Postby Jordn23 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:33 pm

So my lab will fetch a canvas decoy no problem but as soon as I tie a wing to it she won't pick it up all she does is licks it same if I throw a duck help anyone ?
Jordn23
hunter

Re: Help trying to train my lab pup to retrieve

Postby Jordn23 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:52 pm

Some more info on her she is 5 months I have had her out in the field introduced her to water and retrieving the canvas toy but she won't retrieve it when there is a wing on it she just licks it like I said
Jordn23
hunter

Postby hamernhonkers » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:30 pm

Research force fetching!

Live from somewhere beneath the desert and brought to you via Tapatalk
Hello

David wrote:
I have suspended the suspension on the suspended, allowing the suspended to post in a non-suspending manner.
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby Pumpgunner » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:16 am

She's a little young for force fetch, but that is probably where you want to go when she gets all her permanent teeth in. Have you tried just giving her a wing without the bumper? Maybe you could start with the bumper with some duck scent on it, get her used to that, and then go for the wing and bumper. If there's one thing I've learned, it's don't push a young dog too fast-she will get it in her own time. Good luck!
Avery- the K-Mart of waterfowl gear.
Pumpgunner
hunter

Postby apflyingleap » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:12 pm

Get rid of the canvas bumper for a while. Get a wing and just play with her. Drag it in front of her, get her chasing it, but don't let her have it initially. make her chase you and while you're both moving, let her grab it but don't let go and keep walking/running. After a few steps, make her release it (with whatever command you use to have her give you the bird) and praise her like crazy. Lengthen the distance over a week or so. Then, go back and start over but let go of the wing. Keep calling to her and keep her following with wing in mouth but without you holding it. Hopefully, that'll help her forget about difference between the dummy and the wing. Then go back to your usual retrieving training routine but with the wing. Before you go back to the dummy, use a dead bird. Save a teal from a hunt or scrounge one, find a pigeon, whatever, just get her back to your routine with the bird.

A lot of work, but if she's got the goods, when she makes that first long retrieve in the field...it will mean that much more, and be that much more satisfying.

Post a pic. of your pup!
apflyingleap
hunter

Postby Locked&Loaded » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:03 pm

My very best advice to you is to get a good training book or CD and follow it to the letter. Do not skip anything as one concept builds on the next. I used the fowl dogs program and CD#1 is all you need to develop a good, solid meat dog. I have also incorporated some of the training concepts from Wildrose Kennels. Here are some good training tips from Wildrose regarding delivery to hand:

http://uklabs.com/newsletter/july_2001.pdf
http://uklabs.com/newsletter/august_2001.pdf
http://uklabs.com/newsletter/september_2001.pdf

Where do you live? I usually get out and train at least 1-2 times per week (unless it's -5 degrees outside). You are happy to come along and I can give you some pointers.

My pup's first retrieve (the first good one is always a memorable one):
007.JPG
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby apflyingleap » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:36 pm

great pic! great advice!
apflyingleap
hunter

Postby Jordn23 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:03 pm

Thanks for the advise I do have a cd sounds like I need to make time so I can watch it I'm in Ogden this is my 1st time trying to train a dog to hunt
Jordn23
hunter

Postby Locked&Loaded » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:07 am

Jordn23 wrote:Thanks for the advise I do have a cd sounds like I need to make time so I can watch it I'm in Ogden this is my 1st time trying to train a dog to hunt

What CD do you have? Watch the CD and if you have any questions post them up here and we'll do our best to help you out. In my opinion, most guys wanting to train a duck dog jump right to the retrieving and spend less than enough time on basic obedience -- sit, here, heel. I cannot stress this enough, really focus on getting your pup to be solid on his obedience and once you are there, you'll have a dog that will be a blast to work with on retrieving. No matter how well a dog retrieves, if he isn't steady in the blind, comes when you call, or walks quietly at heel while you are sneaking to jump shoot ducks, they aren't much fun to hunt with and can be a general PIA.
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby Spry Yellowdog » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:41 pm

/\/\/\ x2
What he said is a great start.
You also might get a pigeon or 2 clip there wings and let the pup party.
Something about live flopping birds :huh:

Spry
With a Dog...You never hunt alone.
Spry Yellowdog
hunter

Postby Jordn23 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:48 pm

Good news guys I got her to finally start picking up ducks and retrieving them all the info was great all I can say is thanks
Jordn23
hunter

Postby apflyingleap » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:56 pm

WELL DONE!!!! Post those pics!!!
apflyingleap
hunter

Postby Jordn23 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:23 am

I would love to post pictures of hunts and my pup but every time I try it says the file is to big I am doing it off my iPhone so I don't know if that's the reason
Jordn23
hunter

Return to Utah Duck Hunting