WTH

This is the Utah duck hunting forum where you are invited to communicate with other hunters like yourself.

Moderator: Spiraleyes

WTH

Postby hamernhonkers » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:01 pm

I am fine with you guys sending the birds down south but cold with them :mad: :mad: :mad:

We froze up here in the desert last night. I could not believe I had to break ice then keep breaking it up just to shoot birds down here. Great day though and the birds really have made it finally :bow:

Please forgive the pics as I only had my phone with me. Of course I was wishing I had my camera because it was just one of those day's.

Breaking Ice.

Swans in the blocks way down here :eek:

Had bootlips landing in the blocks like mad.

Get home after the hunt and the local covey is in my back yard :lol3:

I was thinking of spooner today with this bag :hi:
Hello

David wrote:
I have suspended the suspension on the suspended, allowing the suspended to post in a non-suspending manner.
hamernhonkers
hunter

Re: WTH

Postby OGblackcloud » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:04 pm

Nice shoot :thumbsup:
OGblackcloud
hunter

Postby richard rouleau » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:28 pm

very nice there hamernhonker it look like it was good down there love the spoons
southern utah waterfowler
richard rouleau
hunter

Postby Kevin N » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:40 am

I told you the birds where coming...... my bad on the ICE... it was so cold here the other day i figured all should enjoy it!!!!! I have relatives in the Phoenix area... they said lots of people with frozen pipes, never thought I would hear that.. Nice job on the birds... your a boot lip smacker!! :help: :biggrin: how much longer is your season?????
Kevin N
hunter

Postby richyrich307 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:03 pm

So I have a question. What is the difference between the 1st shoveler and the 5th shoveler. I have shot a few that look like the 1st one. Is it just a young drake, can't be eclipse this time of year? Its not a hen but not a full plumage drake either.... right? :huh:
richyrich307
hunter

Postby hamernhonkers » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:18 pm

richyrich307 wrote:So I have a question. What is the difference between the 1st shoveler and the 5th shoveler. I have shot a few that look like the 1st one. Is it just a young drake, can't be eclipse this time of year? Its not a hen but not a full plumage drake either.... right? :huh:

The two on the left are hens and the three on the right are drakes. It really seems to take bootlips a while to full plum up but right now is the time to get one if you are after a mounter :thumbsup:
Hello

David wrote:
I have suspended the suspension on the suspended, allowing the suspended to post in a non-suspending manner.
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby hamernhonkers » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:20 pm

Kevin N wrote:I told you the birds where coming...... my bad on the ICE... it was so cold here the other day i figured all should enjoy it!!!!! I have relatives in the Phoenix area... they said lots of people with frozen pipes, never thought I would hear that.. Nice job on the birds... your a boot lip smacker!! :help: :biggrin: how much longer is your season?????

Hey there is nothing wrong with smiling mallards :wink:

This year it only runs a week later then Utah down here. We normally get two weeks longer, it ends on the 27th for both ducks and geese :smile:
Hello

David wrote:
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby richyrich307 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:49 pm

hamernhonkers wrote:
richyrich307 wrote:So I have a question. What is the difference between the 1st shoveler and the 5th shoveler. I have shot a few that look like the 1st one. Is it just a young drake, can't be eclipse this time of year? Its not a hen but not a full plumage drake either.... right? :huh:

The two on the left are hens and the three on the right are drakes. It really seems to take bootlips a while to full plum up but right now is the time to get one if you are after a mounter :thumbsup:

So do some hens have the orange bill and some do not?
richyrich307
hunter

Postby kwalk3 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:27 am

richyrich307 wrote:
hamernhonkers wrote:

So do some hens have the orange bill and some do not?

The bio out at farmington bay earlier in the year said that it's tough to tell the difference between the hens and immature drakes. He may be up in the night, but we had a bird with an orange bill that I had identified as a hen, that he said was just a bird of the year drake. Apparently the drakes bills don't turn black until they are older? Anyways news to me, I still assume any spoony that I shoot with an orange bill is a hen.
kwalk3
hunter

Return to Utah Duck Hunting