tarps????

This is the Utah duck hunting forum where you are invited to communicate with other hunters like yourself.

Moderator: Spiraleyes

tarps????

Postby duck chaser1990 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:55 pm

Has anyone ever used tarps to look like water and if so does a blue tarp or silver one work better?
Duck hunting everyday possible
duck chaser1990
hunter

Re: tarps????

Postby cootlover » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:14 pm

A guy I know used a blue tarp and said it worked
cootlover
hunter

Postby richyrich307 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:45 pm

I wouldnt think it would work very well..... Then again I have never tried it so what the hell do I know :biggrin: Give it a try and let us know.
richyrich307
hunter

Postby All Ducked Up » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:16 am

Use a BLACK tarp. try and getting it laid out and then covering the edges with snow, try and shape it into a "pond" the bigger you go usually the better but go to big and your just dealing with a sail. pick a tarp size dependent on your location and make sure its in an area where water usually is, if you throw a tarp in the middle of a corn field or any field at that ducks have never landed on water there, most likely you wont have any coming that way, using the tarp on top of ice covered in snow has been the best option usually. Get a couple of full body deeks for standing on the edge or just put a couple on the snow with close swimmers by the edges of your tarp then throw a normal spread. Personally I think with the tarp a mojo is a must. pick out some vegetation and throw it in the center to break it up a little (reeds or toolies)

Your deeks will sit funny if you don't cut your keels off, so try to think around that in order to make it look real and believable.

Black works best due to the contrast from the snow and the dark mud in the waters here, all water looks black here in the winter, when was the last time you saw open water on ice and said - HEY that water looks carribean"ish"

Go black, and don't lay it too flat, crinkle it to look like water.

Good to hear your thinking about doing this, trust me those who have never hunted over a tarp will look at you like your insane and laugh BUT take them out and the first duck that locks up on a tarp their words will literally be " you have got to be Sh**ing me "

Plus if you get one to actually land they slip and slide the whole thing and it's a good time, on warmer days tossing real water on the tarp works great but it's to cold now in order for this to work.

Little late on the jump, last week for ducks.....and I have never seen a goose fall for this......YET
_______________________________________________________________________________________

Hunting isn't just something I do, It's a part of who I am.

2013 - 2014 count

6 Mallards
6 Pins
4 Gads
10 GW Teal
7 Cinn Teal
1 Wigeon
and
2 Shovies :(
All Ducked Up
hunter

Postby duck chaser1990 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:13 pm

Well fun hunt try it again tomorrow ended up with 3 today try it with ground blinds
Duck hunting everyday possible
duck chaser1990
hunter

Postby Duckassassin001! » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:04 pm

WORK HU cool ill have to add that to my bag of trix
Full time Hunter Part time Worker
Duckassassin001!
hunter

Return to Utah Duck Hunting