Wish me Luck

This is the Utah duck hunting forum where you are invited to communicate with other hunters like yourself.

Moderator: Spiraleyes

Wish me Luck

Postby hamernhonkers » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:11 pm

We have until this Sunday to hunt all geese and ducks down here. I found what would be a Utah field of dreams with these guys in it. The problem is they are right at the back of a neighborhood. I have to try to pull these birds 200 yards into another field to get a shot at them. I would be confident that I could do it if I had my snow decoys with me but they are home in Utah. I have a whopping 6 full body geese decoys and more white shopping bags then I know what to do with. With that, the only thing I can do is try to pain the field white and see if I can get the eagle head and tar bellies into range in the morning. Wish me luck guys as those are two birds on my dream list and I can't say I tired if I don't give it a whirl.

Hello

David wrote:
I have suspended the suspension on the suspended, allowing the suspended to post in a non-suspending manner.
hamernhonkers
hunter

Re: Wish me Luck

Postby richard rouleau » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:16 pm

good luck there hamernhoker are those the one we saw the other day down there
southern utah waterfowler
richard rouleau
hunter

Postby hamernhonkers » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:25 pm

richard rouleau wrote:good luck there hamernhoker are those the one we saw the other day down there

These are the ones. They now have the specs and a small bunch of Canadas with them. I just hope they will give me a look and I can get that blue into gun range.
Hello

David wrote:
I have suspended the suspension on the suspended, allowing the suspended to post in a non-suspending manner.
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby duckslayer74 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:30 pm

Good luck HH, that's killer just to be somewhere to be able to set up for a shot at those. That Blue is one good looking bird. Keep us posted. :thumbsup:
Winchester SX2 12ga, SX3 20ga, Kicks Highflyer and Terror chokes.
duckslayer74
hunter

Postby Spry Yellowdog » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:37 pm

Were pullin for ya :thumbsup:
You can get it done.

Spry
With a Dog...You never hunt alone.
Spry Yellowdog
hunter

Postby Bug Doc » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:05 am

Git 'er done!
Bug Doc
hunter

Postby OGblackcloud » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:46 am

Good luck :thumbsup:
OGblackcloud
hunter

Postby Kevin N » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:58 am

That is so cool... I'll be down what time are you setting up????

good luck and wack'em!!!!
Kevin N
hunter

Postby Labs2 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:41 pm

Good luck!!!!! I hope ya win....
Labs2
hunter

Postby Locked&Loaded » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:11 pm

Great pics man! Go get em, Hoss!
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby benellired89 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:41 pm

Good luck send pictures

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
benellired89
hunter

Postby hamernhonkers » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:37 pm

Ok the report. Things could not have turned out stranger or more aggravating then what they did. I got set up by 6 am with 100 grocery bags and a whopping 6 full body goose decoy’s. I got to wait around for a bit and actually had 3 ducks try to work my funny looking spread. Right at 6:30 I seen the snows coming, they were on a b-line to the field they have been in and as soon as I spotted them I started honking. The blue at the calling turned on a dime and headed right for me. They came straight over the top but I just didn’t dare try the shot as there were at a questionable range. I was hoping they would at least circle me a couple of times but they did not and headed straight into the field they have been feeding in. I decided to sit there for a bit just to see if anything would happen but I was in a time crunch as I needed to get back home to help my wife get the kids ready for school. I set it out until 6:47 (thinking the whole time give it till 7am) and hurried and picked up the bags. I then went to my truck to put them away and grab my bag for my full bodies. Just as put the stuff in I looked up and here came the 2 tar bellies. They were on a b-line for the other field also. Just for fun I started honking at them and to no surprise they didn’t even look. While they circled the other field a couple of times and then started to head north, all of a sudden they turned back and were headed right in my direction (me still standing at the truck) and locked up heading right for my decoy’s left in the field…………..well you can guess it, they circled a couple of times and went right in and lit. As I was standing there in disbelief I notice the Canada geese coming in from the south locked up also heading right for my 6 blocks. Yep they lit also…………..all I could do at this point was just shake my head and laugh to myself. Well I watched for a few minutes and then walked the geese off my decoys. The good news is they just picked up and flew over to the other field and went right in with the snows. So the plan is to once again try it in the morning and see if I can get lucky since I did not really spook the dark geese. I will post up what happens tomorrow, good or bad…….Lol
Hello

David wrote:
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby benellired89 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:28 pm

Lmao.... Good luck

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
benellired89
hunter

Postby slcduckkilla » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:49 pm

hamernhonkers wrote:Ok the report. Things could not have turned out stranger or more aggravating then what they did. I got set up by 6 am with 100 grocery bags and a whopping 6 full body goose decoy’s. I got to wait around for a bit and actually had 3 ducks try to work my funny looking spread. Right at 6:30 I seen the snows coming, they were on a b-line to the field they have been in and as soon as I spotted them I started honking. The blue at the calling turned on a dime and headed right for me. They came straight over the top but I just didn’t dare try the shot as there were at a questionable range. I was hoping they would at least circle me a couple of times but they did not and headed straight into the field they have been feeding in. I decided to sit there for a bit just to see if anything would happen but I was in a time crunch as I needed to get back home to help my wife get the kids ready for school. I set it out until 6:47 (thinking the whole time give it till 7am) and hurried and picked up the bags. I then went to my truck to put them away and grab my bag for my full bodies. Just as put the stuff in I looked up and here came the 2 tar bellies. They were on a b-line for the other field also. Just for fun I started honking at them and to no surprise they didn’t even look. While they circled the other field a couple of times and then started to head north, all of a sudden they turned back and were headed right in my direction (me still standing at the truck) and locked up heading right for my decoy’s left in the field…………..well you can guess it, they circled a couple of times and went right in and lit. As I was standing there in disbelief I notice the Canada geese coming in from the south locked up also heading right for my 6 blocks. Yep they lit also…………..all I could do at this point was just shake my head and laugh to myself. Well I watched for a few minutes and then walked the geese off my decoys. The good news is they just picked up and flew over to the other field and went right in with the snows. So the plan is to once again try it in the morning and see if I can get lucky since I did not really spook the dark geese. I will post up what happens tomorrow, good or bad…….Lol

Did you get them today?
slcduckkilla
hunter

Postby hamernhonkers » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:21 pm

slcduckkilla wrote:
hamernhonkers wrote:Ok the report. Things could not have turned out stranger or more aggravating then what they did. I got set up by 6 am with 100 grocery bags and a whopping 6 full body goose decoy’s. I got to wait around for a bit and actually had 3 ducks try to work my funny looking spread. Right at 6:30 I seen the snows coming, they were on a b-line to the field they have been in and as soon as I spotted them I started honking. The blue at the calling turned on a dime and headed right for me. They came straight over the top but I just didn’t dare try the shot as there were at a questionable range. I was hoping they would at least circle me a couple of times but they did not and headed straight into the field they have been feeding in. I decided to sit there for a bit just to see if anything would happen but I was in a time crunch as I needed to get back home to help my wife get the kids ready for school. I set it out until 6:47 (thinking the whole time give it till 7am) and hurried and picked up the bags. I then went to my truck to put them away and grab my bag for my full bodies. Just as put the stuff in I looked up and here came the 2 tar bellies. They were on a b-line for the other field also. Just for fun I started honking at them and to no surprise they didn’t even look. While they circled the other field a couple of times and then started to head north, all of a sudden they turned back and were headed right in my direction (me still standing at the truck) and locked up heading right for my decoy’s left in the field…………..well you can guess it, they circled a couple of times and went right in and lit. As I was standing there in disbelief I notice the Canada geese coming in from the south locked up also heading right for my 6 blocks. Yep they lit also…………..all I could do at this point was just shake my head and laugh to myself. Well I watched for a few minutes and then walked the geese off my decoys. The good news is they just picked up and flew over to the other field and went right in with the snows. So the plan is to once again try it in the morning and see if I can get lucky since I did not really spook the dark geese. I will post up what happens tomorrow, good or bad…….Lol

Did you get them today?

Today was once again a big fail. The white geese went right into the field they have been in and the tar bellies with them. The canada's went into a field to the south of me. I got bombarded by ducks today but only had goose loads in.

Tomorrow I will be putting something in the other field before light and see if that will keep them out and get them to come my way. I will also have two guns this time with one loaded with duck loads and one with goose loads lol.

This will be my last attempt at them as work will not permit me anymore time.

Will post again good or bad.

Live from somewhere beneath the desert and brought to you via Tapatalk
Hello

David wrote:
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby richard rouleau » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:11 pm

sorry to hear that hamernhonker hope you get them tomrow i be down satand sun. to hunt
southern utah waterfowler
richard rouleau
hunter

Postby hamernhonkers » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:19 pm

Well for anyone following this pathetic attempt of mine to harvest a blue goose................today did go better but no shots were fired. I moved to a spot in another field bordering the field the geese are using and set out my whopping 6 full bodied goose blocks and waited. The ducks sucked into me like mad starting about 6:20 but I did not shoot for fear of spooking the whites as they have been showing up at 6:30. As I waited I continued to get bombed by ducks until the whites showed up at 7 am. Why they were so late I have no idea. They locked up and went straight in to the field they have been using. They did circle a couple of times but not anywhere that would give me a shot. I texted my wife and told her what happened and she offered to drive over and jump the birds for me. I told her no but to get the kids ready quick for school just in case I changed my mind. I figured being jumpy white geese they would at some point pretty quick fly up and circle then drop back in like they often do. Well about 10 minutes later they did just that. They made a pass to my north and came straight at me turning back at the field about 30 yards out. They then circled to the south of me again flying straight at me then turning straight back in at about 30 yards...............Yes I am now in retrospect asking myself why I did not take the shot either time but...............................The birds settle back into the field only 80 yards from me and I just watched them. Shortly after I had 10 Canada’s come up from the south and drop right into my 6 blocks. I choose not to shoot them as I did not want to blow the snows out. They set for a few minutes and then flew off. I got a call from my wife at 8 am saying she was on her way, I debated for a few minutes on having her turn around but decided it would be worth a try to see if they could fly them over me. My sweet wife arrived and my son walked out into the field and jumped the geese, of course they decided to fly straight north instead of east where I needed them to go and left. My heart sunk as I waited for 20 minutes and they did not return. I picked up and left as I had to go to work. On my way to work I decided to just make a quick run by the field and to my relief the birds were back in it. I called the wife and let her know and she was as relived at I was at the news. I then snuck out of work just before dark and the birds were still using the field. I was not going to try again as my work schedule is not in favor of it but my boss offered to trade me shifts tomorrow so I could take another crack at them in the morning. So with that I hope that things will be different tomorrow and I can post a pic of that blue with me so it can hit the freezer for the wall.....................
Last edited by hamernhonkers on Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hello

David wrote:
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby skybusterbob » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:16 am

If they get within 30 yds you better drop the hammer on them. 30 yds is great shot on the white ones.
skybusterbob
hunter

Postby hamernhonkers » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:22 pm

skybusterbob wrote:If they get within 30 yds you better drop the hammer on them. 30 yds is great shot on the white ones.

It is but not when it is directly at a neighborhood only 120 or so yards away. I have to get these birds to make a perfect pass to be able to shoot. I had them twice today at 20 yards head on but once again the shot would of been straight at the neighbor hood :help: :help: :help:

I only have tomorrow to pull it off it I can go so.........................we will see what happens.
Hello

David wrote:
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby hamernhonkers » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:29 pm

Attachments
tapaupload0.jpg
tapaupload0.jpg (48.91 KiB) Viewed 826 times
Hello

David wrote:
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby hamernhonkers » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:29 pm

Story to follow after a good nights sleep lol.

Hello

David wrote:
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby brettb » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:07 pm

Congrats, hard work pays off!!

Brett
brettb
Newb

Postby Toasty » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:10 pm

I figured you were just playing with them and would get it done today. House or not, I don't know how you let that get within 20 yards and not shoot. Your patience is awe inspiring. Thanks for sharing your adventure with us, should be a beautiful wall hanger. I logged in 3 or 4 times a day all week to see if you had posted a report. :thumbsup: So what is next on the list? A blue with a neck collar.
Toasty
hunter

Postby OGblackcloud » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:48 am

Congrats :thumbsup:
OGblackcloud
hunter

Postby Duckassassin001! » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:22 am

thats sweet man congrats on the blue
Full time Hunter Part time Worker
Duckassassin001!