Wish me Luck

This is the Utah duck hunting forum where you are invited to communicate with other hunters like yourself.

Moderator: Spiraleyes

Re: Wish me Luck

Postby hamernhonkers » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:16 am

Yesterday started out by changing my tactics up just slightly. Saturday night I cut a couple of sticks and then cut a black garbage bag into two pieces and tied them to the sticks. Sunday morning I stopped at the field and placed the sticks with the bags on them at the north end and North West end of the fields. My goal was to just make the birds more cautious and get them to circle the field a few extra times, which I hoped would give me the shot opportunity I was looking for. I also put full body goose decoy’s out with me again in the field I was in but this time I only put 4 out downwind of me 25 yards. Well shooting arrived with a few mallards and a couple of pinners working my blocks. I held off shooting at any of them again due to the fact I only had that blue on my mind. Finally at 7 am the whites came, they came in from the north and high this time as opposed to the normal path from the south and lower. I guess they roosted somewhere else Saturday night. The birds made only two passes and offer one shot opportunity but it was too high for my comfort and then left. I of course instantly started to panic thinking my brilliant idea to put out the bags had backfired on me and blew them right out of the field. I received a text from my (very sweet and patience during this little endeavor) wife asking what was happening. I texted her back and let her know my fear that I had blown them out but with my brilliant plan. I decided to stick tight and see if the Canada’s would come in and at least let me finish the season with good goose shoot. About 7:30 I looked up to the south and here were the snows coming once again. This time they circled the field much lower and made about 5 passes. They gave me a couple of very good opportunities but of course the shots were right in line with the neighborhood. Shortly after they left I heard the Canada’s coming up from the south. They were riding the wind up and moving very quickly but were pretty low. They were coming up a 100 or so yards to the west of me and had the two tar bellies with them. As they got just south of me they started to hook my direction and I got very excited thinking I may get a good crack at the spec’s, right then a burst of shoots range out to the south of me and the geese turned back straight north booking it out of there. As I set there I started thinking back to the first day and how many opportunities I have had over the 5 day period to kill some of the birds and of course was thinking, if I had only done this, or if I had only done that, or just taken that shot, etc. just then I look up and here come the whites again. This time they are low and really circling the field. On the 3 pass they lock up and are coming straight at me, they get straight above and hook back over the other field. They then swing again right back at me, this time there feet are down and wings fully bowed dropping right into my lonely 4 goose decoys. I bring the gun up and slam my face hard into the stock making sure to not pick my head up to look at my target and center the blue up, fire and punch him hard. I see he is going down so I swing to another bird and pull the trigger watching if fold and turn to one other and squeeze off but get a click. I am not sure if I only loaded two shells or if my gun bottom ejected my last shell or what but I of course didn’t care as I had my blue hammered! I can’t began to describe the excitement I was feeling knowing I had just nailed my trophy bird.

It’s really crazy to think back now over the week and think what it took to target this one bird. I have in the past had opportunities to target a single bird just like one would a big game animal and I can say that this hunt was amazing. To me it rivaled my elk hunt in excitement and anticipation. Hope you guys enjoyed taking the ride with me on this adventure and sorry for being such a poor story teller. Thanks to all who wished me luck on this adventure!!!!!!!!!! :beer: :beer: :beer:
Hello

David wrote:
I have suspended the suspension on the suspended, allowing the suspended to post in a non-suspending manner.
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby Labs2 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:29 pm

Congrats!!!!!
Labs2
hunter

Postby hamernhonkers » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:22 pm

Toasty wrote:I figured you were just playing with them and would get it done today. House or not, I don't know how you let that get within 20 yards and not shoot. Your patience is awe inspiring. Thanks for sharing your adventure with us, should be a beautiful wall hanger. I logged in 3 or 4 times a day all week to see if you had posted a report. :thumbsup: So what is next on the list? A blue with a neck collar.

Next target will be a tar belly with a red neck collar :wink:

I was able to kill a spec about 18 years ago back home, in fact at that time I had no clue what it was and had to take it to the local federal warden to identify it. I have not shot one since and would love to get a mature one with real heavy barring to put on the wall. Hopefully it will happen in the next few years as there seems to be a few around here early in the season and then again late in the year :beer:
Hello

David wrote:
I have suspended the suspension on the suspended, allowing the suspended to post in a non-suspending manner.
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby SwampRat95 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:12 pm

congrats on the bird! Iv'e been following this adventure of yours from your first post. once again congrats on the bird! :clapping:
Quack Addict
SwampRat95
hunter

Postby duckslayer74 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:32 pm

Hey HH, story now I don't want to hear about sleep, I plowed snow for 20hrs straight from noon yesterday through this morning. :rolleyes:

J/K. Can't wait for the story and congrats on a sweet bird you deserved it.
Winchester SX2 12ga, SX3 20ga, Kicks Highflyer and Terror chokes.
duckslayer74
hunter

Postby cootlover » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:22 pm

H&H you know if you was shooting a benelli you would have killed more birds by now just saying love coot :yes:
cootlover
hunter

Postby Kevin N » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:11 pm

Good job Hammer'n!!!!!! love it when a plan works out !!
Kevin N
hunter

Postby duckslayer74 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:46 pm

cootlover wrote:H&H you know if you was shooting a benelli you would have killed more birds by now just saying love coot :yes:

Wrong genius, if he'd been shooting a Benelli all he would've heard was the famous "CLICK" and then some great 4 letter words. :lol: :lol:

J/k bro.
Last edited by duckslayer74 on Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
duckslayer74
hunter

Postby hamernhonkers » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:12 pm

duckslayer74 wrote:
cootlover wrote:H&H you know if you was shooting a benelli you would have killed more birds by now just saying love coot :yes:

Wrong genius, if he'd been shooting a Benelli all he would've heard was the famous "CLICK" and the some great 4 letter words. :lol: :lol:

J/k bro.

Dang you two crack me up. We really need to hunt together some time!

Live from somewhere beneath the desert and brought to you via Tapatalk
Hello

David wrote:
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby duckslayer74 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:31 pm

Yeah we do, next season fo sho. :thumbsup: It's never a dull time with me and cootlover, couldn't ask for a better hunting buddy. Now if he'd grow 2 more legs, wear a black fur coat and LOVE the taste of duck he'd be perfect. :biggrin:
duckslayer74
hunter

Postby cootlover » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:41 pm

Now if he'd grow 2 more legs, wear a black fur coat and LOVE the taste of duck he'd be perfect. :biggrin: That's funny :clapping:
cootlover
hunter

Previous

Return to Utah Duck Hunting