Great way to Finish

This is the Utah duck hunting forum where you are invited to communicate with other hunters like yourself.

Moderator: Spiraleyes

Great way to Finish

Postby Duckassassin001! » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:11 am

I found a spot on saturday that was on a lake and the inlet was still holding it open for about 200 yards long and 30 or so across holding about 300 geese on it only way to hunt it was layout boat style so i packed up and thought hard how this was going to work. on sunday i ended up setting up towards the far end figuring that they would think it to be safer that close to the bank. got set up around 3:30 or so sat and watched ducks fly in and plop down right in front of me withing it was still open duck season. After a while i was beginning to wonder about this whole deal i had going nothing moving but the decoys in the wind. had about 30 min left in the hunt and i hear an explosion of geese calling and getting closer couldnt see them for the fog but could tell they were headed my way. got ready layed out as low as i could got everything set to close the deal start calling a little just to let them know where i was as wave after wave came over had to be 200 geese passed me by not even looking hard had there minds set. another hundred or so go by and i thought that was it sad and discuraged i sat up then with about 10 minutes left in the legal shooting hours i began to wonder if i had wasted my time i hear off in the distance a group headed this way first 20 drop right into the decoys bout 15 yards away next bunch land and the next now im surounded by 200 geese and real close at that so i set up and started into em first shot 2 pop up together doubled them with one shot and the next picked oup a big one and let the hammer down knocking his wing out from him but still able to fly some he went and landed bout 100 out on the ice. i picked up my 2 in the deeks and my alarm goes off for end of legal shooting hours took a quick pic. picked up my deeks and start out across the ice which im not a huge fan of but it was thick thick but still scary. sucker was running around so i took a while and snuck up on him and smacked him with my paddle. then back to the boat and deeks packed it all 150 yards back to the truck loaded up (hard to load a layout by yourself i might add) sweating and tired i drove home happy.
Full time Hunter Part time Worker
Duckassassin001!
hunter

Re: Great way to Finish

Postby OGblackcloud » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:18 pm

Very nice :thumbsup:
OGblackcloud
hunter

Postby hamernhonkers » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:14 pm

Great Job! Love it when a plan comes together and great way to end a season :clapping:
Hello

David wrote:
I have suspended the suspension on the suspended, allowing the suspended to post in a non-suspending manner.
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby richyrich307 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:39 pm

Awesome pic and awesome story. Glad it worked out for you
richyrich307
hunter

Postby duckslayer74 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:36 pm

Nice job, :thumbsup:
Winchester SX2 12ga, SX3 20ga, Kicks Highflyer and Terror chokes.
duckslayer74
hunter

Postby benellired89 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:12 am

Very nice

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
benellired89
hunter

Postby apflyingleap » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:11 pm

Great story. Felt like I was right there with you!
apflyingleap
hunter

Return to Utah Duck Hunting