So who's ready for the snow hunt?

This is the Utah duck hunting forum where you are invited to communicate with other hunters like yourself.

Moderator: Spiraleyes

So who's ready for the snow hunt?

Postby hamernhonkers » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:31 pm

I am planning on hitting them hard this year. I have even been out scouting and found one already :yes:

Hello

David wrote:
I have suspended the suspension on the suspended, allowing the suspended to post in a non-suspending manner.
hamernhonkers
hunter

Re: So who's ready for the snow hunt?

Postby duck chaser1990 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:26 pm

if i had a place to hunt them i would for sure give it a go. that one looks like a true trophy he might even be hinding some bling :yes: :yes:
Duck hunting everyday possible
duck chaser1990
hunter

Postby kgrant » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:12 am

awww alas the rare bird known as the short necked snowgoose hahah :lol3:
kgrant
hunter

Postby Locked&Loaded » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:03 am

I'm gonna throw out a decoy spread at the local landfill -- should be a quick limit. The thing is, I haven't been able to find a good gull call. Curse that Fred Zink!
seagulls.jpg
seagulls.jpg (221.22 KiB) Viewed 1427 times
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby kgrant » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:22 am

hahahahaha thats genius i would have never thought about the land fill :bow:
kgrant
hunter

Postby hamernhonkers » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:02 am

Ok on a serious note I don't know how it is you northern boys don't go postal on all those gulls. When I was up for my swan hunt I could not believe how many there were :eek: My eyes went numb trying to pick out swans and ducks through the clouds of gulls :sad:
Hello

David wrote:
I have suspended the suspension on the suspended, allowing the suspended to post in a non-suspending manner.
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby kgrant » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:32 am

Hahaha you just get.use to.them it's mind numbing at.first but.then once.your desensitized to.them you can pick ducks out quite easy plus a pair of.binos goes a.long.ways LOL there screech is.more annoying then presence
kgrant
hunter

Postby cootlover » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:07 pm

The limit on gulls is how many shells you have :thumbsup:
cootlover
hunter

Postby kgrant » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:31 pm

seriously though can you imagen the carange if they open seagulls for hunting for just one day with no limits it would be a freaking masacare times 100
kgrant
hunter

Postby Locked&Loaded » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:45 am

kgrant wrote:seriously though can you imagen the carange if they open seagulls for hunting for just one day with no limits it would be a freaking masacare times 100

You mean to say that seagull season isn't open during the same time period as waterfowl here in Utah???? Uh oh..... :oops:
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby duckslayer74 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:48 am

Locked&Loaded wrote:
kgrant wrote:seriously though can you imagen the carange if they open seagulls for hunting for just one day with no limits it would be a freaking masacare times 100

You mean to say that seagull season isn't open during the same time period as waterfowl here in Utah???? Uh oh..... :oops:

I guess the bald eagles will stop coming here then, and there'll be no need to carry lead anymore either huh? :eek: :eek:
Winchester SX2 12ga, SX3 20ga, Kicks Highflyer and Terror chokes.
duckslayer74
hunter

Postby Bill Herian » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:38 pm

But srsly guys.

What ecological imperative gives seagulls this prerogative?

If I had to guess, the only reason "seagulls" are protected is to prevent accidental bykill of threatened/endangered gull species. Which is totally nonsensical. Grebes sort of look like a duck, guess it's time to shut down duck hunting. This is why Wisconsin is having so much trouble getting a snadhill crane hunt. Whooping cranes breed here, and apparently hunters can't be trusted to know the difference.

If it were up to me, we'd be blasting them all to kingdom come. Just like it's the hunters job to know the difference between ducks on the wing to make sure his bag is legal, it should be the hunter's job to know which kind of gull he is shooting at.

I've had a couple of seagulls on the boat, whether hooked or caught in other tackle.

They are a force to be reckoned with.
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby hamernhonkers » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:32 pm

Bill Herian wrote:But srsly guys.

If I had to guess, the only reason "seagulls" are protected is to prevent accidental bykill of threatened/endangered gull species. Which is totally nonsensical. Grebes sort of look like a duck, guess it's time to shut down duck hunting. This is why Wisconsin is having so much trouble getting a snadhill crane hunt. Whooping cranes breed here, and apparently hunters can't be trusted to know the difference.

If it were up to me, we'd be blasting them all to kingdom come. Just like it's the hunters job to know the difference between ducks on the wing to make sure his bag is legal, it should be the hunter's job to know which kind of gull he is shooting at.

I've had a couple of seagulls on the boat, whether hooked or caught in other tackle.

They are Utah's state bird!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk
Hello

David wrote:
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby Locked&Loaded » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:25 pm

hamernhonkers wrote:
Bill Herian wrote:But srsly guys.

They are Utah's state bird!

This is probably a stupid question, but does anyone know if a guy can shoot certain species of gulls in states other than Utah? From Bill's post it doesn't sound like they can wack em in Wisc. either.
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby apflyingleap » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:31 pm

From this website:

http://icwdm.org/handbook/birds/Gulls.asp

"Gulls are classified as migratory species and thus are protected by federal and, in most cases, state laws. In the United States, gulls may be taken only with a permit issued by the US Fish and Wildlife Service. Permits are issued only after frightening techniques, physical barriers, or both have been used correctly and qualified personnel certify that these methods have been ineffective. Some states may require an additional permit to kill gulls. No federal permit is needed, however, to frighten or mechanically exclude gulls."

Doing a little digging, I found that many species of gulls were part of the mass market hunting and "feathers for hats" slaughters of the 19th century that lead to the near extinction of many gull species. it was the actions of hunters and conservation groups (Teddy Roosevelt, Gifford Pinchot, Boone and Crockett Club, others) that saved not only many of the birds we love to hunt today, but even the oft pesky gull.
apflyingleap
hunter

Postby Bill Herian » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:40 pm

Well they seem to be doing just fine these days.

After they get shot up and wised up I bet they would be very challenging to hunt.

Good plummage year round too.
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby apflyingleap » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:35 am

...tell me about it. I live near a landfill.
apflyingleap
hunter

Postby kgrant » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:18 am

hahaha holy crap i never thought i'd ever learn so much about seagulls in my entire life thank you for the education thats pretty crazy :lol3: .... so does anybody wanna help me make a couple of feather hats :grooving:
kgrant
hunter

Postby hamernhonkers » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:25 pm

Attachments
tapaupload0.jpg
tapaupload0.jpg (38.32 KiB) Viewed 713 times
Hello

David wrote:
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby hamernhonkers » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:26 pm

I think my son killed the only snow goose in the state of utah :lol3:

Hello

David wrote:
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby kgrant » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:11 pm

Lmao Congrats to him! thats alot of decoys to put out for one bird :lol3:
kgrant
hunter

Postby hamernhonkers » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:50 pm

kgrant wrote:Lmao Congrats to him! thats alot of decoys to put out for one bird :lol3:

Oh no this bird got it ditch pigg'n :lol3:

Hello

David wrote:
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby kgrant » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:17 pm

HAHAHAHa! It probably thought it was a seagull. :lol3: thats crazy.
kgrant
hunter

Postby apflyingleap » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:27 pm

Wow! That's great! Jealous....
apflyingleap
hunter

Postby hamernhonkers » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:34 pm

apflyingleap wrote:Wow! That's great! Jealous....

It was really funny. My son is 7 and still not responsible enough to actually hunt birds so I took him and my family with me on Sunday and found this bird on the edge of a pond where we could sneak on it. I pulled my son out of the truck and had him follow on my heels as we snuck on the bird. When we got into range I had to let a few mallards that were a little too close to him move off and then I jumped him and shoot him. My son didn't see what happened and I told him I missed the bird and at the sound of the shot he went to fly up and tripped over a bush so he was still alive and I held the gun while he fired another shot at it. He of course he though he drilled it and killed it so he went running to the water’s edge and waited for my dogs to bring it in (he wanted to just wade out and get it :lol3: ) and boy was he proud of his kill when it came to hand. We had to take it home and show both sets of grandparent’s lol. It was a good day :yes:
Hello

David wrote:
hamernhonkers
hunter

Next

Return to Utah Duck Hunting