Reflections on the past.

This is the Utah duck hunting forum where you are invited to communicate with other hunters like yourself.

Moderator: Spiraleyes

Reflections on the past.

Postby Bret » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:37 am

As I am getting older I place more importance on experiences that make memories than when I was younger. I find myself becoming more sentimental. When the season is over I find myself thinking back, not just over the past season but the last 25+ years of hunting birds of all sorts. I think of the sites, smells, and the many people I have shared a blind with. I think about dogs that are no longer with us, and the stupid things I did when I was younger. I think about the long brutal hikes in the chukar hills, the different points and retrieves from dogs that both amazed me, and showed me what beauty is. I also think about the times the dogs frustrated me while I was trying learn, and the times I behaved like a fool. In the marsh at sunset who among us hasn't marvelled in awe at the silhouettes of ducks in front of the Great Salt Lake sunset. The sounds of ducks and geese, and the other birds of the marsh can be quite haunting at that time. How about the smell of the lake that people say stinks right before a rain storm. To me it's a comforting smell. I love the way the clouds hang on the mountain at daybreak. The way the sagebrush looks in September with sun glistening off morning dew on all those webs that those big creepy spiders have have spent their time making. The smell of sage is unbelievable anytime. What a great place we are blessed to live. I've had the opertunity to travel the country some, but I have seen no other place like home.

What about it do you love? What's important to you? What are you favorite observations?
Bret
hunter

Re: Reflections on the past.

Postby hamernhonkers » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:43 pm

The stages of a hunter! Sounds like your getting along in years Bret lol.

I still have my get a limit days but find myself more and more there for the experience.

My favorite is day break on the river with 4 or 5 fresh inches of snow with temps well below zero and knowing I will be the only one on it. Its so peaceful and quiet. To cold for most so I can just sit back and take it all in.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk
Hello

David wrote:
I have suspended the suspension on the suspended, allowing the suspended to post in a non-suspending manner.
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby cootlover » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:35 pm

My favorite part of the hunt is just wondering what the day will bring. Watching the sun come up the sounds of the marsh waking up God I live for that .
cootlover
hunter

Postby duckslayer74 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:23 pm

Nothing better than the sights and sounds of the marsh, sunrise and sunset over the GSL marshes. :thumbsup: I would've said smells too but when you share the blind with cootlover thats not a good thing. :moon: In reality some of my best memories I have are duck hunting with my dad when I was a kid, now I can make more memories with him and my boy. Oh, and coot. :biggrin:
Winchester SX2 12ga, SX3 20ga, Kicks Highflyer and Terror chokes.
duckslayer74
hunter

Return to Utah Duck Hunting