what boat do I need

This is the Utah duck hunting forum where you are invited to communicate with other hunters like yourself.

Moderator: Spiraleyes

what boat do I need

Postby D-on7 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:40 pm

Hello, I will be moving to utah this year from washington state, MY current boat is a 18ft smocker craft sportsman mod v with a 115 jet, just wondering if i should sell it before i roll down there or is there rivers to run for hunting? Or should i just buy MB when I get down there let me know? thanks.
Aero Outdoors pro staff
D-on7
hunter

Re: what boat do I need

Postby hamernhonkers » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:35 pm

Other then the green river and the lakes you'll not be able to use it on the WMA's. For that you'll need a solid flat bottom and a good mud motor.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk
Hello

David wrote:
I have suspended the suspension on the suspended, allowing the suspended to post in a non-suspending manner.
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby duckslayer74 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:37 am

If your moving to Northern Utah that jet will do you no good. You can't use jets on the WMAs and the water is shallow and muddy.
Winchester SX2 12ga, SX3 20ga, Kicks Highflyer and Terror chokes.
duckslayer74
hunter

Postby D-on7 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:42 pm

sounds like MM all the way then, i guess ill put the for sale sign on my jet , thanks guys.
Aero Outdoors pro staff
D-on7
hunter

Postby D-on7 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:44 pm

ok, so are you guys running with tillers or remote steering on those mud motors down there and or does it matter? thanks
Aero Outdoors pro staff
D-on7
hunter

Postby Duckassassin001! » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:41 pm

Most just have em with just the hand controlled much easyer to get into bad places
Full time Hunter Part time Worker
Duckassassin001!
hunter

Postby D-on7 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:06 pm

Ok, let me start by saying im not trying to start up a brand battle. So with that being said, does the home town company rule? Or is there a lot of othere brands Being used there? Do the service places work on all brands of mm? Yes, I have checked all over mud motor talk chats but was unable to see anything about what im asking. I really apperciate any and all your info. I'm new to the mm game so just trying the get hip fast, so I dont half to ask anymore questions, and I can buy one all ready.

thanks again
Aero Outdoors pro staff
D-on7
hunter

Postby kgrant » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:04 am

I don't know much about mud motors or boats since i don't own one and have enver hunted out of one. however i know utah has a mud motor association. www.utahmudmotor.com heres the web site they might be able to help you out. I hope it helps . good luck :thumbsup:
kgrant
hunter

Postby D-on7 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:25 pm

ok thanks, I will be looking into that website
Aero Outdoors pro staff
D-on7
hunter

Postby Duckassassin001! » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:13 pm

i have a mud buddy and love it. wont speak on the other motor as i have never owned anything but mud buddy but my experiance with them is they have never let me down and the guys at mud buddy are great to deal with. you can go take a walk through there shop and youll see these guys care about getting you something that you will use and love for a long time.
Duckassassin001!
hunter

Postby D-on7 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:25 am

ok, well i got to ride and drive my first mud motor it was a black death 4500, on a 18x60 excel very nice great power it was just me and the owner in the boat, i was thinking about getting the same pkg, but maybe putting the 45mag on it but its got a nice price tag! i have been reading great things about that 45mag, also the owner told me to look at the new sport v but I cant find anyone who has one any thoughts? also would a stock 35 be enough power for 18x60 3guys, 1dog and gear?
Aero Outdoors pro staff
D-on7
hunter

Postby Duckassassin001! » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:06 am

both the 45 mag and new v are great looking motors dont have or know anyone with experiance with eather motor but have also seen good things on both the 35 stock i have drivin a couple of them one was on a 17x54 excel i believe and it had plenty of power with 3 guys and gear but if your lookin to break the sound barior you might look into getting a newer model its all up to you id say try em all and figure out what you want.
Duckassassin001!
hunter

Postby The Billcollector » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:18 pm

Mud buddy motors outnumber all other brands here 40 to 1. And everywhere else in the world as well. The great thing about owning one in utah is all of your service, and upgraded can be done at the factory. The 45 mag is a great motor. It includes all of the internal mods, and if you want to upgrade later, the rest are all bolt on. The current hyper sport belt drives are tried and true bulletproof machines. If you can wait a couple months i would suggest checking out the Sport H. It has reverse, and lots of new features, and better suited for our conditions than the sport V. I will have one on my boat at all the bowfishing tournaments, and mud fest events if you want to see one in action. If you have any mud buddy questions feel free to let me know.
PS. Dont beleive anything you hear on mud motor talk. The whole site is ran by gatortail
The Billcollector
hunter

Postby D-on7 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:50 am

Sounds good thanks, yeah I called up mud buddy the othere day they were a big help as well as you guys were , I think im going with the 18x54 excel, shagy blind, and the big Sport H , thanks again guys.
Aero Outdoors pro staff
D-on7
hunter

Return to Utah Duck Hunting